Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Perfectly valid website crashing IE

Perfectly valid website crashing IE

Nik Coughin

BruceB wrote:
> "Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote in message
> news:qbdVd.5853$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Could anyone using IE 6 please test this site for me, and let me
>> know if it generates an error?
>>
>> http://www.masterpiece.co.nz/index.php
>>
>> I have just installed the site onto the client's webserver. They are
>> running IIS. The HTML and CSS both validate.

> Works OK for me, although it smells a little like Frontpage..

Hand coded all the way, some of it being output by php.

> I use XP Home SR2 with current patches/updates...
>
> You must have some local problem. If it validates, it should be fine
> on IE6.

That's my thoughts on it as well, but it seems some other people get the
same thing unfortunately.

Nik Coughin

Richard wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 19:38:36 +1300 Nik Coughin wrote:
>
>> Could anyone using IE 6 please test this site for me, and let me
>> know if it generates an error?
>>

> Why do you have this crap?

8< snip misinformed rubbish >8

> Rewrite the coding for the menu and begin with a simple ul li
> arrangement.

I have yet to see you ever admit that you are wrong Richard. This layout is
obviously over your head given your well-demonstrated inability to properly
comprehend even basic HTML and CSS concepts.

Nik Coughin

Marek Zyskowski wrote:

>> In article <qbdVd.5853$(E-Mail Removed)>, nrkn!no-spam!
>> @woosh.co.nz says...
>>
>>> Could anyone using IE 6 please test this site for me, and let me
>>> know if it generates an error?

> I get an error too.

Bugger.

Alfred Molon

In article <qbdVd.5853$(E-Mail Removed)>, Nik Coughin says...
> Could anyone using IE 6 please test this site for me, and let me know if it
> generates an error?
>
> http://www.masterpiece.co.nz/index.php
>
> I have just installed the site onto the client's webserver. They are
> running IIS. The HTML and CSS both validate.
>
> When I try to access the site from any of the computers on their network IE
> 6 crashes with this:
>
> Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
> Runtime Error!
> Program C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
>
> R 6025
> - pure virtual function call
>
> This happens on both XP and 2K. It only happens with this page on this
> site. It happens about 75% of the time. Doesn't happen with any other
> sites to my knowledge, though I only tried 20 or 30. Needless to say it
> doesn't happen with other browsers.
>
> Here's the really weird bit:
>
> None of the other pages on the site generate the error, only index.php and
> whatsNew.php, which is the same thing -- index.php is just include(
> "whatsNew.php" );.
>
> If I take the output from index.php, and paste it into a new document and
> put it on the server, that page doesn't crash IE:
> http://www.masterpiece.co.nz/test3.html
>
> If I embed index.php in an object element inside index.html, and load
> index.html, it doesn't crash:
> http://www.masterpiece.co.nz/index.html
>
> If I navigate to the page from another page, it never crashes. Only if I
> type/paste the url it into the address bar, or click refresh on one of the
> occasions when it hasn't crashed it.
>
> WTF???
>
> I can't get it to crash under IE 6 on any of the machines in my office, only
> on machines on their network. Wide range of hardware.
>
> I wouldn't even have a clue how to start tracking this down, any ideas?
>
> Is it likely to be anything to do with IIS?
>
> Google has been less than helpful. The only other thing I can find to do
> with IE is that streaming audio/video in IE 6 can cause this error, and I
> have neither of these.
>
> Does anyone know of any other newsgroups that might be more suitable for
> asking this in? Of course, if I then follow that up I will be guilty of
> multiposting (sigh).
>
> Please excuse my including alt.html in my crossposting, but I am desperate
> and I know a lot of very smart people lurk there.

It just crashed my Firefox browser... (version 1.0 preview release)
--

Alfred Molon

http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - Photos from China, Myanmar, Brunei,
Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Egypt, Germany, Austria,
Prague, Budapest, Singapore and Portugal

mscir

Nik Coughin wrote:

> BruceB wrote:
>
>>"Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote
>>>Could anyone using IE 6 please test this site for me, and let me
>>>know if it generates an error?

This is probably not related, but why include this file:

@import url( ./css/whatsNew.php );

http://www.masterpiece.co.nz/css/whatsNew.php

Mike

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Nik Coughin"
<nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote:

>Could anyone using IE 6 please test this site for me, and let me know if it
>generates an error?

Works fine for me (under 2K though).

I'm quite taken with the way you've achieved the rounded border effect
in such a neat and simple way for the HTML coding (and Richard is
truly a moron)

Toby Inkster

Nik Coughin wrote:

> That's the bizarre thing (or one of them anyway) -- the output from the php,
> which the browser *should* treat exactly the same way, doesn't cause the
> crash.

Is there a difference in the HTTP headers?

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Nik Coughin"
<nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote:

>That's the bizarre thing (or one of them anyway) -- the output from the php,
>which the browser *should* treat exactly the same way,

It will do - computers are deterministic, even when you could swear
blind they're not.

So are you sending different HTTP headers from the PHP and the static
versions ?

Lauri Raittila

in alt.html, n|ck wrote:
> Richard wrote:

> Isn't that invalid?

If you need to ask, why didn't you check?

Utrecht, NL.

Nik Coughin

mscir wrote:
> Nik Coughin wrote:
>
>> BruceB wrote:
>>
>>> "Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote

> This is probably not related, but why include this file:
>
> @import url( ./css/whatsNew.php );
>
> http://www.masterpiece.co.nz/css/whatsNew.php

> Mike

Good point! Will fix that.