Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > failing to validate xhtml

failing to validate xhtml

the idiot

i keep getting this

'Line 4, column 10: an attribute value specification must be an attribute
value literal unless SHORTTAG YES is specified'

in relation to (the letter 's' in stylesheet) this

<link rel=stylesheet type="text/css" href="html/new.css" />

what the buggery am i supposed to do?

thankyou

Philip Ronan

the idiot wrote:

> i keep getting this
>
> 'Line 4, column 10: an attribute value specification must be an attribute
> value literal unless SHORTTAG YES is specified'
>
> in relation to (the letter 's' in stylesheet) this
>
> <link rel=stylesheet type="text/css" href="html/new.css" />
>
> what the buggery am i supposed to do?

Put some quote marks around it

<link rel="stylesheet" ...

--
phil [dot] ronan @ virgin [dot] net
http://vzone.virgin.net/phil.ronan/

the idiot

"Philip Ronan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:BE4AA66F.2C491%(E-Mail Removed)...
> the idiot wrote:
>
> > i keep getting this
> >
> > 'Line 4, column 10: an attribute value specification must be an

attribute
> > value literal unless SHORTTAG YES is specified'
> >
> > in relation to (the letter 's' in stylesheet) this
> >
> > <link rel=stylesheet type="text/css" href="html/new.css" />
> >
> > what the buggery am i supposed to do?

> Put some quote marks around it
>
> <link rel="stylesheet" ...

aha cheers sir. my ignorance is in full bloom.

Philip Ronan

the idiot wrote:

> aha cheers sir. my ignorance is in full bloom.

Spring is in the air

--
phil [dot] ronan @ virgin [dot] net
http://vzone.virgin.net/phil.ronan/

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html, the idiot <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> 'Line 4, column 10: an attribute value specification must be an attribute
> value literal unless SHORTTAG YES is specified'

> <link rel=stylesheet type="text/css" href="html/new.css" />
>
> what the buggery am i supposed to do?

a) Quote your attributes, as required by the XHTML DTD.
b) Go back to using HTML until you understand the stricter requirements
of XHTML (and no, it's not just that it's kewl).

Take your pick.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html, Philip Ronan <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> Spring is in the air

No it's not - we just started Autumn (that's "fall" for all those US
folks).

--

"Mark Parnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:17fv4qxm87njr$.16rkkqrfzvbdj.mark@markparnell .com.au...
> Previously in alt.html, the idiot <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
> > 'Line 4, column 10: an attribute value specification must be an

attribute
> > value literal unless SHORTTAG YES is specified'

> > <link rel=stylesheet type="text/css" href="html/new.css" />
> >
> > what the buggery am i supposed to do?

> a) Quote your attributes, as required by the XHTML DTD.
> b) Go back to using HTML until you understand the stricter requirements
> of XHTML (and no, it's not just that it's kewl).
>
> Take your pick.

but i do understand them now (ish) ... anyway how do i learn if i dont ask?

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html, the idiot <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
> "Mark Parnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:17fv4qxm87njr$.16rkkqrfzvbdj.mark@markparnell .com.au...
>>
>> b) Go back to using HTML until you understand the stricter requirements
>> of XHTML (and no, it's not just that it's kewl).

Actually, thinking about this again, just go back to HTML regardless.
There's no real reason for anyone to use XHTML, and you have to pretend
it's HTML for IE to accept it anyway.

> but i do understand them now (ish) ... anyway how do i learn if i dont ask?

Read the specs.

Assuming you have a decent knowledge of HTML, this is probably a good
place to start:
http://w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#diffs

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

the idiot

"Mark Parnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2r1oedt6yiig.uspazlhu2sl2$(E-Mail Removed) om.au...
> Previously in alt.html, the idiot <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
> > "Mark Parnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:17fv4qxm87njr$.16rkkqrfzvbdj.mark@markparnell .com.au...
> >>
> >> b) Go back to using HTML until you understand the stricter requirements
> >> of XHTML (and no, it's not just that it's kewl).

> Actually, thinking about this again, just go back to HTML regardless.
> There's no real reason for anyone to use XHTML, and you have to pretend
> it's HTML for IE to accept it anyway.
>
> > but i do understand them now (ish) ... anyway how do i learn if i dont

ask?

> Read the specs.
>
> Assuming you have a decent knowledge of HTML, this is probably a good
> place to start:
> http://w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#diffs

i do but im an old man and the terminology confuses me. pesky kids.

Jukka K. Korpela

Mark Parnell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Assuming you have a decent knowledge of HTML, this is probably a good
> place to start:
> http://w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#diffs

Just beware that
a) not all items listed there are differences between HTML 4 and XHTML
(item 4.1 is not a difference, and item 4.7 is incorrect as formulated
- it does not apply to attributes with CDATA values)
b) it does not contain all the differences
(e.g., the name attribute was removed from XHTML 1.0, by the DTD,
despite the prose text; I'm afraid nobody really cared about
collecting all the actual differences)

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/