Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Slashes in file names

Slashes in file names

Carolyn Marenger

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 19:32:48 -0500, JDS wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 22:06:03 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:
>
>> C? Bleeding edge. I had a ][e.

> I was 9 when my dad brough home an Apple II+. The plus -- remember this?
> -- meant something like 8k RAM instead of the standard 2k (or 4k?). That's
> KB! Not MB!! Wow. Pops worked at GWU's Engineering school and my brother
> and I would bang on the latest PC's they had -- Apples, that is. (That was
> when "PC" was more generic for "Personal Computer" and didn't
> specifically mean WintTel/IBM clone.) They had a 5MB external hard drive
> for their Apple II's that was about the size of a modern minit-towser PC.
> 5MB! And that was whoppin' huge in 1980. (or 81, maybe). We played some
> cool games on the early early Macs and I remmeber how cool I though the
> 3.5inch floppies were.

I remember getting my first computer, an apple ][+ with two floppy drives
and a graphic printer. That was after heading over to a friends for a
couple years to use his TRS-80 Model 1, then model 2. I didn't have a
hard drive, I used 5 1/4' floppy disks. I cut a notch in the back side,
so that I could doube their capacity by turning them over.

Then there were the Amigas we used to run a lottery system in the Czech
Republic. They needed lots of RAM, so we bought RAM expansion boards and
fully populated them. 128MB on the card and 64MB on the motherboard if I
remember correctly, and the RAM only cost about $30,000 for each of the
three systems we needed to configure.

That's my two cents worth of blah...

Carolyn

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when JDS <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I was 9 when my dad brough home an Apple II+.

You were lucky...

We had to punch our own punched tape. Then we had to go and shovel
coal into the Babbage Engine. And we thought we were lucky if we
didn't get caught by the Jacquards while we were doing it.

joy beeson

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 20:28:18 +0000, Toby Inkster
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Actually, on the DOS/Windows filesystem, "/" and "\" are interchangeable,
> though "\" is convention. And some particular DOS/Windows applications
> will insist on a "\".

In DOS -- at least in the versions I've used -- "\"
separates the path, and "/" introduces a switch. For
example, "ed C:\letters\auntmary.txt/s" would mean "open
file 'auntmary' in directory 'letters' on the C disk, using
ed.exe, and make a back-up copy without prompting."

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at earthlink dot net

Toby Inkster

joy beeson wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 20:28:18 +0000, Toby Inkster
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Actually, on the DOS/Windows filesystem, "/" and "\" are interchangeable,
>> though "\" is convention. And some particular DOS/Windows applications
>> will insist on a "\".

> In DOS -- at least in the versions I've used -- "\"
> separates the path, and "/" introduces a switch.

DOS allows "/" as a path separator -- right back from DOS 2.0 until the
latest version of DOS (which came with Windows ME).

However, some DOS *programs* refuse to accept "/" as a separator. As it
happens COMMAND.COM (the DOS command interpreter) is one of them.