Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Slashes in file names

Slashes in file names

Blinky the Shark

JDS wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 20:12:53 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:

>> To the extent that to most Windows users, it's probably "that little
>> wavy thing."

> Right. I can't tell you how many times I would read out a URL that had a
> tilde in it (personal home page or whatever) to someone on the phone and
> they would say "not working not working not working" and I'd find out
> later that they had actually typed the *word* "tilde" in the URL

Betcha they misspelled it, too.

> e.g. http://example.com/tildejeff

See above.

> And I would go over and poke their eyes out and rescind their computer use
> privileges and poop on their 5-and-a-quarters[1] and have my cat pee in
> their punchcard reader (assuming that they had that particularly advanced

Dammit! Dropped my deck, again...

> I/O device) and and then I'd yell at them and tell them that their momma
> was a Timex Sinclair and then I'd really get mad and mess them up. yeah.

I had one of those, but it wasn't promiscuous. But that may simply
have been for lack of many ports.

> Then I'd put my Apple IIc in their butt sideways and tell them to take it
> up with Jef Raskin. Ah...how I loved that IIc.

C? Bleeding edge. I had a ][e.

> [1] Don't know what that is? Sheesh.

Who doesn't?

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:

tshad

"David Dorward" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d02okh$cue$2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> tshad wrote:
>
>>> What happens if you point your browser directly at
>>> http://localhost/includes/ypSlideOutMenus.js?

>> If I do that, I get Page not found. If I do
>> http://localhost/development/include...ideOutMenus.js - it findes it
>> fine

> That is your problem then. You are telling it to look from the root of the
> server, not from /development/.

That doesn't seem to be right, as I did try to move the includes folder to
c:/includes and it still didn't work.

But even if it did, the question is how do I tell it to look from the root
(development)?

Tom

> Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

tshad

"JDS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) d...
> On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 21:46:44 +0000, tshad wrote:
>
>> If I do that, I get Page not found. If I do
>> http://localhost/development/include...ideOutMenus.js - it findes it
>> fine
>>
>> Tom

> Problem solved, then. Put "development" in the path in your HTML files.
>
> <script language="javascript"
> src="/development/includes/ypSlideOutMenus.js"></script>

So you need to put the root directory name in? I thought that was what the
"/" was for so you could move the folders to a different site (that had a
different root name, but the same folder setup).

Also, this does not seem to work for:

<!-- #include file="/development/includes/development/slidemenus.inc" -->

I get the error:

************************************************** *************************************
Parser Error Message: Could not find a part of the path
"C:\development\includes\development\slidemenus.in c".

Source Error:

Line 3: <%@ Register TagPrefix="fts" TAgName="footer"
src="/development/includes/defaultFooters.ascx" %>
Line 4: <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Strict//EN">
Line 5: <!-- #include
file="/development/includes/development/slidemenus.inc" -->
Line 6: <script runat="server">
Line 7: sub Page_load(s as object,e as eventargs)
************************************************** ****************************************

Notice the slashes in the error are reversed from my include statement.

Tom.
> --
> JDS | http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid
> | http://www.newtnotes.com
> DJMBS | http://newtnotes.com/doctor-jeff-master-brainsurgeon/

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html, tshad <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> But even if it did, the question is how do I tell it to look from the root
> (development)?

But the development directory *isn't* the root folder - it's inside the
root. Otherwise /development would never appear in the URL.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

JDS

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 22:19:17 +0000, tshad wrote:

> Also, this does not seem to work for:
>
> <!-- #include file="/development/includes/development/slidemenus.inc" -->

You are not fully understanding paths or directories.

Questions for you to ask before trying to find a file for inclusion:

1) where is this current file in the filesystem? The full path, including
C: (if you are on windows as you said you are)

2) Where is the file I want to include?

3) Is the file to be included in the SAME directory as the "parent" file?

OR

4) Is it in a subdirectory of the "parent" file's directory?

OR

5) is it in another directory entirely?

If 3 is true, then just include the file, no path at all:

<!-- #include file="/development/includes/development/slidemenus.inc" -->
OR
<script language="javascript" src="ypSlideOutMenus.js"></script>
or
<?php include("filename.php"); ?> // (PHP example)

If (4) is true, do NOT include a starting slash (forwards or backwards)
and just use the subdirectory name, for example:

<!-- #include file="development/slidemenus.inc" -->
OR
<script language="javascript"
src="development/ypSlideOutMenus.js"></script>
OR
<?php include("development/filename.php"); ?> // (PHP example)

If (5) is true, then you should consider using the full path starting with
C: or "/"

still stuck? Read some books.

later...

--
JDS | (E-Mail Removed)
| http://www.newtnotes.com

JDS

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 22:06:03 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:

> C? Bleeding edge. I had a ][e.

I was 9 when my dad brough home an Apple II+. The plus -- remember this?
-- meant something like 8k RAM instead of the standard 2k (or 4k?). That's
KB! Not MB!! Wow. Pops worked at GWU's Engineering school and my brother
and I would bang on the latest PC's they had -- Apples, that is. (That was
when "PC" was more generic for "Personal Computer" and didn't
specifically mean WintTel/IBM clone.) They had a 5MB external hard drive
for their Apple II's that was about the size of a modern minit-towser PC.
5MB! And that was whoppin' huge in 1980. (or 81, maybe). We played some
cool games on the early early Macs and I remmeber how cool I though the
3.5inch floppies were.

blah blah blah... I could go on, but who would want to hear that?

--
JDS | (E-Mail Removed)
| http://www.newtnotes.com

Blinky the Shark

JDS wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 22:06:03 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:

>> C? Bleeding edge. I had a ][e.

> I was 9 when my dad brough home an Apple II+. The plus -- remember this?
> -- meant something like 8k RAM instead of the standard 2k (or 4k?). That's

The e in my ][e meant, IIRC extra RAM, too. 128KB, I think.

Was the ][/][+ *that* low out of the box? 2-4KB? Yow.

> KB! Not MB!! Wow. Pops worked at GWU's Engineering school and my brother
> and I would bang on the latest PC's they had -- Apples, that is. (That was
> when "PC" was more generic for "Personal Computer" and didn't
> specifically mean WintTel/IBM clone.) They had a 5MB external hard drive

Woohoo! That was big.

> for their Apple II's that was about the size of a modern minit-towser PC.
> 5MB! And that was whoppin' huge in 1980. (or 81, maybe). We played some
> cool games on the early early Macs and I remmeber how cool I though the
> 3.5inch floppies were.

> blah blah blah... I could go on, but who would want to hear that?

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:

Toby Inkster

tshad wrote:

> The URL would be something like http://localhost/development/staff (where
> the .aspx file is).
>
> Development is the root (virtual directory) and under that is
> css,includes,staff etc.

Development is *not* the root directory.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Toby Inkster

JDS wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 18:58:33 +0000, David Dorward wrote:
>
>> ... assuming you use Windows. UNIX based systems (like Linux, BSD or Mac OS
>> X) use forward slashes as directory seperators.

> And MacOS < X used colons -- ":"

And to be confusing:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...8?dmode=source

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

R2G2

On 2 Mar 2005 04:17:24 GMT, Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>JDS wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 22:06:03 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:

>>> C? Bleeding edge. I had a ][e.

>> I was 9 when my dad brough home an Apple II+. The plus -- remember this?
>> -- meant something like 8k RAM instead of the standard 2k (or 4k?). That's

>The e in my ][e meant, IIRC extra RAM, too. 128KB, I think.
>
>Was the ][/][+ *that* low out of the box? 2-4KB? Yow.
>
>> KB! Not MB!! Wow. Pops worked at GWU's Engineering school and my brother
>> and I would bang on the latest PC's they had -- Apples, that is. (That was
>> when "PC" was more generic for "Personal Computer" and didn't
>> specifically mean WintTel/IBM clone.) They had a 5MB external hard drive

>Woohoo! That was big.

Absolutely - I remember upgrading my Atari to 2 MB from half (was a
520 not a 1040 - still makes me smile when I think I could fit severel
times that computer onto 1 CD!

>> for their Apple II's that was about the size of a modern minit-towser PC.
>> 5MB! And that was whoppin' huge in 1980. (or 81, maybe). We played some
>> cool games on the early early Macs and I remmeber how cool I though the
>> 3.5inch floppies were.

>> blah blah blah... I could go on, but who would want to hear that?

--
Beccy

Bec but...