Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Having a hope that IE will die? I doubt it will.

Having a hope that IE will die? I doubt it will.

Blinky the Shark

Kevin Scholl wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:

>> So what *has* created this minor-fad-like upswing for FF?

> IMNSOHO, it's pretty simple: once someone tries it and finds that it is

Perhaps oversimple, no offense intended. I understand this grass roots
process, but it didn't happen with Mozilla, to this extent. That's why
I've been asking "why now?", as versus "how does word of mouth work?" I
won't ask any more, though, as I see this is as far as the answers are
going to get. No prob. I'm just happy that it *is* happening.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:

Kevin Scholl

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Kevin Scholl wrote:
>

>>Blinky the Shark wrote:

>>>So what *has* created this minor-fad-like upswing for FF?

>>IMNSOHO, it's pretty simple: once someone tries it and finds that it is

> Perhaps oversimple, no offense intended. I understand this grass roots

None taken.

> process, but it didn't happen with Mozilla, to this extent. That's why
> I've been asking "why now?", as versus "how does word of mouth work?" I
> won't ask any more, though, as I see this is as far as the answers are
> going to get. No prob. I'm just happy that it *is* happening.

It's my belief that it didn't happen as much with Mozilla for two
reasons: 1) different products, namely browser only vs. suite, and 2)
the Mozilla suite, for some time, was compared most directly to
Netscape, which left a bad taste in some people's mouths.

It also doesn't hurt that Firefox is hitting the ground running at a
time when IE is under very public (and very viable) criticism.

>>indeed a superior browser on many levels, they tell their friends, who
>>then tell their friends, etc. Coupled with the occasional mainstream
>>news notice, such word of mouth is a powerful evangelistic tool.

Kevin Scholl http://www.ksscholl.com/
Information Architecture, Web Design and Development
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of
the dreams...

Blinky the Shark

Kevin Scholl wrote:
> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> Kevin Scholl wrote:

>>>IMNSOHO, it's pretty simple: once someone tries it and finds that it is

>> Perhaps oversimple, no offense intended. I understand this grass roots

> None taken.

Thank you.

>> process, but it didn't happen with Mozilla, to this extent. That's why
>> I've been asking "why now?", as versus "how does word of mouth work?" I
>> won't ask any more, though, as I see this is as far as the answers are
>> going to get. No prob. I'm just happy that it *is* happening.

> It's my belief that it didn't happen as much with Mozilla for two
> reasons: 1) different products, namely browser only vs. suite, and 2)

*That* I hadn't thought about -- broswer versus browser, as versus (with
Moz) whole suite full of bolt-ons versus browser. (You may be sensing
that I don't care for jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none, bloaty suites.)

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:

Adrienne

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Adrienne
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in

> No, but the people who the clueless take their computer to for repair,
> or come by and fix their computer, are installing FF for them. Then
> they are probably letting FF set itself as the default browser. Wow!
> FF just became the Internet!

I just had this experience this afternoon while visiting a client. My
client opened IE (the only browser on the system at that time) and
immediately, count 'em, 35 (Thirty-five) windows opened! She has Search
Wizard BHO, and I'm going back tomorrow morning to finally kill it.

I changed her hosts file so at least now only two windows try to pop up
(and can't go anywhere cause they're getting a 404), and I installed
Firefox and removed the IE icon from her desktop. I renamed the Firefox
icon to The Internet.

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

Travis Newbury

Henry wrote:
> Just read some news about IE 7.0.

Ok lets say the new version of IE addresses the validation issues so it
works exaclty like (or better than) firefox (or opera, or insert your
favorite browser)

And lets say they add features like pop-up blocking, tabbed browsing,
and a few of the other favorites.

Do you think it would put an end to the IE bashing here? HA!
Unlikely. People in general (and even more so here) have to have a
common enemy. Microsoft is that common enemy for most, and in these
people's eyes, if Microsoft ever does something right, then they would
want to change the meaning of the word right.

Yes, I am laughing at all of you, and if you step back, you will be
laughing too.

--
-=tn=-

Travis Newbury

Henry wrote:
> The judgment is - to end of our miserable life in hands of The Judge

and
> The Executor - Bill Gates.
> Arghhhhh....

Man henry, you have some deep issues your dealing with here. You know
worry and stress will kill you.

--
-=tn=-

Travis Newbury

Adrienne wrote:
> > So what *has* created this minor-fad-like upswing for FF?

> Word of mouth, being hip, dislike of Microsoft.

I think dislike of Microsoft is the primary reason. FF is good, but it
has its issues too (but it is my primary browser) I keep IE around to
use when FF can't handle the page or application.

--
-=tn=-

Travis Newbury

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> >> So what *has* created this minor-fad-like upswing for FF?

> > Word of mouth, being hip, dislike of Microsoft.

> Again: why FF, why now? What's different?

The web is different that's all.

Now I agree with the author. If the next version of IE handles HTML
and CSS corrrrectly, an it has Tabs, then I am going back, other will
be going back, and IE will regain it's market share.

If IE fixes the issues everyone bitches about, then you will have a
hard time convincing someone to switch because all your arguments will
be gone.

"You need to switch to Firefox (insert your favorite browser here)"

"Why? IE now does everything correctly and has tabs."

"Well it was made by Microsoft"

"so..."

If IE is fixed, (and right now you, me, and others have no idea if it
is fixed or not so rather than blindly bashing something, how about we
wait and see?) Then the ONLY reason to switch would be because you
hate Microsoft.

Not a compelling argument to a Microsoft world.

--
-=tn=-

Travis Newbury

Lauri Raittila wrote:
> And it is common knowledge now that Microsoft sucks.

Oh is it now.

--
-=tn=-

kchayka

Travis Newbury wrote:

> If the next version of IE handles HTML and CSS corrrrectly

MS has already made it pretty clear that they don't intend to beef up
their standards support any time in the foreseeable future. They give
some lame excuse like all the existing sites that would break if they
did such a thing.

If somebody knows of a report that says otherwise, I'd surely like to
see it.