Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > SMTP solution when on the road?

SMTP solution when on the road?

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when Lauri Raittila
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I just use ssh tunnel to my smtp server.

That's great, but presumably it means you're running your _own_ SMTP
server, and you've set up SSH access to it. I don't know of any ISPs
who offer this sort of access.

Lauri Raittila

in alt.html, Andy Dingley wrote:
> It was somewhere outside Barstow when Lauri Raittila
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I just use ssh tunnel to my smtp server.

> That's great, but presumably it means you're running your _own_ SMTP
> server,

No, I am not...

> and you've set up SSH access to it. I don't know of any ISPs
> who offer this sort of access.

Hm. It's my university (not the one in Utrecht, their IT department
sucks). So you can't buy it.

I would think this is business opportinity to someone. There must be
plenty of people having problems on finding smtp server to use with their
laptops when traveling. Plenty of rich businessman. If someone makes
money with it, I would like to have some too...

(webmail is not really usable alternative, it sucks on offline use - and
internet in moving objects is not that usual.)

Utrecht, NL.

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc,

"Andy Dingley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc,"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Your host should offer you an alternate port

> Oh great, voodoo security. 8-(
>
> If it's secure, stick it on 25. If it's not secure, don't stick it
> anywhere. Port scanning will find it wherever you "hide" it.

You don't exactly understand, I think.

ISPs block you from sending email, that isn't hosted on their network, on
Port 25. Port 2525 can be just as secure as Port 25 (who cares if someone
knows you allow outgoing email on Port 2525??). But, by offering Port 2525,
for example, you greatly help your hosting customers' by allowing them to
circumvent their ISPs blocking of Port 25.

More and more hosts are opening up an alternate port, so that their
customers can continue to send email from http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)...without
having to be tied to their ISPs SMTP server.

--Tina
--
http://www.AffordableHOST.com - Multi-Domain & Reseller Cpanel Hosting
++ 20% Discount Coupon Code ++: newsgroup

Toby Inkster

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc, wrote:

> ISPs block you from sending email, that isn't hosted on their network,
> on Port 25.

Mine doesn't. Don't think I've ever been on an ISP that did.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Andy Dingley

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>ISPs block you from sending email, that isn't hosted on their network, on
>Port 25.

No they don't. They block _other_people_ from connecting to an open
SMTP relay you might be hosting.

An ISP that does block outgoing 25 is just a crook, Run away.

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc,

"Andy Dingley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc,"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>ISPs block you from sending email, that isn't hosted on their network, on
>>Port 25.

> No they don't. They block _other_people_ from connecting to an open
> SMTP relay you might be hosting.
>
> An ISP that does block outgoing 25 is just a crook, Run away.

Most major ISPs block Port 25 now.

My point is, this has nothing to do with security (on the hosts side) as you
were suggesting. Its merely providing a service to the customer, by
allowing them to circumvent their ISPs blocking of Port 25. That's all,
nothing more.

Its really not an argument or debate...its simply a nice thing for hosts to
do for their customers. If your host won't accomodate you, since most major
ISPs now block Port 25, then you might want to find a host that does allow
you to send on an alternate SMTP port.

--Tina
--

Andy Dingley wrote:

> To "route directly" as you describe it, that assumes that "many SMTP
> servers trust other unknown SMTP servers". Now this _used_ to be true,
> but spam killed it. These days such trusting SMTP servers are termed
> "open relays" and even if you can still find one, it's quite probably
> blacklisted.

"routing direct" does not imply "open relay".

Routing directly means that my own PC sees I'm sending an email to
example.org, it uses DNS to look up the MX server for example.org,
connects to port 25 on that server and sends the message.

The other option is to use your ISP's mail server, in which case your PC
doesn't bother checking who the message is to, connects to
mail.yourisp.com and sends the message. Then mail.yourisp.com does all the
hard work.

Open relays are a third situation. Somebody has a message bound for
example.org and they send it via a completely unrelated third-party
server. This has spam implications, which is why running an open relay
is now frowned upon.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Andy Dingley

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If your host won't accomodate you, since most major
>ISPs now block Port 25,

Not for outgoing. No doubt some do, but "most" certainly don't.

There's no need to block outgoing 25 at all, because there's nothing
"bad" to connect to through it. An open relay is a bad thing
certainly, but we've addressed that problem by clamping down on open
relays - if necessary, by blacklisting them. In an environment where
open relays are now extinct (to practical purposes) there's just no
problem with allowing ISP customers all the outgoing 25 they might
wish.

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc,

"Toby Inkster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) .uk...
> Andy Dingley wrote:
>
>> To "route directly" as you describe it, that assumes that "many SMTP
>> servers trust other unknown SMTP servers". Now this _used_ to be true,
>> but spam killed it. These days such trusting SMTP servers are termed
>> "open relays" and even if you can still find one, it's quite probably
>> blacklisted.

> "routing direct" does not imply "open relay".
>
> Routing directly means that my own PC sees I'm sending an email to
> example.org, it uses DNS to look up the MX server for example.org,
> connects to port 25 on that server and sends the message.
>
> The other option is to use your ISP's mail server, in which case your PC
> doesn't bother checking who the message is to, connects to
> mail.yourisp.com and sends the message. Then mail.yourisp.com does all the
> hard work.
>
> Open relays are a third situation. Somebody has a message bound for
> example.org and they send it via a completely unrelated third-party
> server. This has spam implications, which is why running an open relay
> is now frowned upon.

I didn't get Andy's last reply and Google Groups seems to have dropped it as
well.

--Tina
--
http://www.AffordableHOST.com - Multi-Domain & Reseller Cpanel Hosting
++ 20% Discount Coupon Code ++: newsgroup
Serving the web since 1997

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when Toby Inkster
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"routing direct" does not imply "open relay".

True enough formally, but there's still a risk in there. The spammer
might only be able to spam members of the destination server's
organisation (i.e. it's open, but no longer a relay) but that's still
a nuisance.