Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > favicon.ico question?

favicon.ico question?

Jonathan N. Little

Brett wrote:
> "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:R44Ud.4016$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>Yes. In fact, I'm using the same exact link tag. It started off as a
>>>GIF then I saved it as an ICO using Irfran Viewer. I can reference
>>>http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/favicon.ico and see the icon. I have also
>>>bookmarked the page but still no icon. Remember, this is only an IP
>>>address an does not have an associated domain. Will that make a
>>>difference?
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Brett

>>Brett:
>>
>>MS IE will only display the favicon if it is a single format 16x16 pixel
>>16 color icon in Window ICO format where as Gecko browsers will display
>>multi-format (like your desktop icons 16x16, 32x32, 48x48 and various
>>color depths 4, 8 16 bit colors) and other image formats like GIF and PNG.
>>If your specify your relative path to the file correctly whether or not
>>your have a registered domain name does not matter. Make the image a 16x16
>>4-bit (16 color) icon and your trouble in MS IE should be solved.
>>

> All of those specifications are set. It works fine in Firefox and Opera but
> not IE. The site is pass protected. Does that matter?
>
> Thanks,
> Brett

Password should not make a difference, but in another post I discovered
that IE will not display the icon in the address bar until after you
save the url in your favorites. Try it and see if your icon will then
display!

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Brett

"Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:f09Ud.4036$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Brett wrote:
>> "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:R44Ud.4016$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>Brett:
>>>
>>>MS IE will only display the favicon if it is a single format 16x16 pixel
>>>16 color icon in Window ICO format where as Gecko browsers will display
>>>multi-format (like your desktop icons 16x16, 32x32, 48x48 and various
>>>color depths 4, 8 16 bit colors) and other image formats like GIF and
>>>PNG. If your specify your relative path to the file correctly whether or
>>>not your have a registered domain name does not matter. Make the image a
>>>16x16 4-bit (16 color) icon and your trouble in MS IE should be solved.
>>>

>> All of those specifications are set. It works fine in Firefox and Opera
>> but not IE. The site is pass protected. Does that matter?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Brett

> Password should not make a difference, but in another post I discovered
> that IE will not display the icon in the address bar until after you save
> the url in your favorites. Try it and see if your icon will then display!
>
> --
> Take care,
>
> Jonathan
> -------------------
> LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
> http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Yes - it is saved in my favorites but that doesn't seem to matter.

Brett

Viper

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc, wrote:
> "Brett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Does the favicon.ico work if you only have an IP address? The IP is
>> the root folder and I have a favicon.ico there but it isn't coming
>> through.

> How would you be online without an IP? Check favicon.com and see if
> you have yours per their instructions.
>
> Hope that helps!
>
> --Tina

Sure hope you read support tickets than you do help requests posted here....

Dave Patton

"Brett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> "Dave Patton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns96095E8E5D91Fmrzaphoddirectcaold@24.71.223 .159...
>> "Brett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> Does the favicon.ico work if you only have an IP address? The IP is
>>> the root folder and I have a favicon.ico there but it isn't coming
>>> through.

>> URL?
>> Browser?

> The IP is pass protected and the browser is IE6. My question is
> simple - does the favicon work with only a domain name or also the IP?

People have already explained that it works when the
URL contains the IP address. I'd suggest you create a
simple 'test page', put it in a non-password-protected
part of the site, along with your favicon.ico file.
If that works, and the same test page and favicon.ico
file don't work when you password-protect that directory,
then you have your answer.

--
Dave Patton
http://www.confluence.org/