Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Problem with fonts

Problem with fonts

jake

In message <(E-Mail Removed)> , Toby
Inkster <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>jake wrote:
>
>> [WEFT] Works fine in MSIE (as the thread indicated).

>Caveat: but only if the user installs the "Internet Explorer Browsing
>Enhancements" component, which is an *optional* part of Internet Explorer,
>and is not installed as part of the IE6SETUP minimal installation (but is
>included in the "typical" installation and "full" installation, and may or
>may not be included in a "custom" installation)

So, the typical user would have to go out of their way *not* to have the
facility in their browser.

So, probably valid for 99.999%[1] of IE users?

regards

[1] Substitute any other value close to 100%.
--
Jake

Toby Inkster

jake wrote:
> Toby Inkster writes:
>
>> Caveat: but only if the user installs the "Internet Explorer Browsing
>> Enhancements" component, which is an *optional* part of Internet
>> Explorer, and is not installed as part of the IE6SETUP minimal
>> installation (but is included in the "typical" installation and "full"
>> installation, and may or may not be included in a "custom"
>> installation)

> So, the typical user would have to go out of their way *not* to have the
> facility in their browser.

Clicking "Miminal/Custom Install" instead of "Typical Install" or "Full
Install" in the ie6setup program requires *one* extra click. Hardly what
I'd call "out of their way".

As a full install of IE 6 is almost a 60MB download, I can imagine that
a *lot* of people on slower connections would opt for the smallest install
possible.

This would also go for people with limited hard drive space (e.g. older
laptops).

And as an IT bod who has had to install IE 6 about a hundred times, I
*always* go for the minimal install -- the end user isn't going to notice,
and I've saved myself a few cumulative hours of sitting in front of
an install screen.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS