Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Problem with fonts

Problem with fonts

Steve Pugh

SpaceGirl <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Steve Pugh wrote:
>
>> And please don't top post.
>>

>You seem moody tonight. Everything okay?

Asking someone not to top post makes me moody? This must be a very
moody newsgroup...

Steve

gcc

<everthing irrelevent to the Font issue snipped>

>Your page code is an aweful mess ,

Would you be kind enough to Explain this statement please?
So maybe some people that write a little HTML and such don't create such a
mess and cause Browsers to Choke.....

I mean cause you basically said "Your Page Sucks Dude"

Thats kinda rude if ya ask me.....

Steve Pugh

SpaceGirl <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Steve Pugh wrote:
>> SpaceGirl <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Because you can only use about 6 typefaces on web sites.

>> No, you can use any font you like, you just can't rely on all users
>> seeing it.
>>

>I was KISSing as the page was by a n00b. Effectively I was right. Mr
>Pedantic

First, I'm Mr know it all, now I'm Mr Pedantic. Some people like
typing a long name instead of my actual short one? At least most
people online can spell Pugh, you should hear some of the variations I
get in real life. ;-/

Anyway. The fewer lies we tell to the beginners now, the less they
have to unlearn later.

"You can suggest any font you like via CSS but it will only be used if
the user has it installed. Here's a lits of fonts that are installed
on 90% of all users' computers: [...]. (Probably should insert warning
about not using Verdana.) However, even these may not be used due to
user preference overriding your CSS suggestions."

Not too complicated really.

Steve

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Mike Azzopardi"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I put up my new music page and i've found that some people can't view the
>Kiddietype font in their browser.

You can only view using fonts that are already pre-installed on a
user's browser.

There are only a handful of typefaces that have a remote hope of being
supported by a useful fraction of your users. Use the default install
handful for Windows, maybe the Lucida set too, and always use the CSS
generic names as a fallback. Remember that with CSS you can request
from a wide range of typefaces and the first available will be used.
So long as you have a "common" name and a generic name at the end of
the list, you'll get something vaguely usable.

Be careful when designing around "weird" fonts that aren't going to be
seen by a lot of users. Their sizing is often a dubious and the page
layout may end up very strange (but then you're designing your pages
for fluid layout anyway, aren't you).

There is a technology for embedding fonts so that these are downloaded
"on the fly", but it's pretty much M$oft only, it's a pain to use it
and it basically doesn't work.

Life sucks.

--
Free the Sudan One !

Steve Pugh

"Mike Azzopardi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks for the useful tips Steve and Miranda

You're welcome.

>Apologies for asking questions about a subject i know nothing about.

Best sort of subjects to ask questions about. Probably. Oh, never
mind.

Don't mind us. We're a funny bunch in alt.html and as it's Friday
night the booze has been flowing...

Steve

Steve Pugh

"gcc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><everthing irrelevent to the Font issue snipped>

I think you mean everything RELEVANT...

>>Your page code is an aweful mess ,

>Would you be kind enough to Explain this statement please?
>So maybe some people that write a little HTML and such don't create such a
>mess and cause Browsers to Choke.....

Well, the validator lists a number of errors:
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...rdi/index.html

If you'd like any of those errors explained please ask.

Steve

-=# Amos E Wolfe #=-

"Mike Azzopardi" wrote:

> I put up my new music page and i've found that some people can't view the
> Kiddietype font in their browser. I have used a stylesheet.

As many of the others have said, most users won't have that particular font.

> I ended up putting the logo as a jpeg

If you insist on using an image, you would do a lot better using a .gif for
the logo instead of .jpeg, which is a "lossy" compression and gives you
nasty little artefacts around your image.

Also, your page needs a <title>, and perhaps some indication that hyperlinks
are links e.g. underline, different colour, etc.

-=# Amos E Wolfe #=-

Mike Azzopardi

Thanks EVERYONE for the info on here. Certainly given me a lot to think
about.

and sorry for the top posts

Mike

"-=# Amos E Wolfe #=-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0aOTd.2907$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Mike Azzopardi" wrote:
>
>> I put up my new music page and i've found that some people can't view the
>> Kiddietype font in their browser. I have used a stylesheet.
>>

> As many of the others have said, most users won't have that particular
> font.
>
>> I ended up putting the logo as a jpeg

> If you insist on using an image, you would do a lot better using a .gif
> for the logo instead of .jpeg, which is a "lossy" compression and gives
> you nasty little artefacts around your image.
>
> Also, your page needs a <title>, and perhaps some indication that
> hyperlinks are links e.g. underline, different colour, etc.
>
> -=# Amos E Wolfe #=-

SpaceGirl

gcc wrote:
> <everthing irrelevent to the Font issue snipped>
>
>>Your page code is an aweful mess ,

> Would you be kind enough to Explain this statement please?
> So maybe some people that write a little HTML and such don't create such a
> mess and cause Browsers to Choke.....

If the OP looked at the source code of the page, it makes sense.

> I mean cause you basically said "Your Page Sucks Dude"

Which I didn't say, because I dont want to discourage beginners, or
frighten them with complicated tech detail like Steve

> Thats kinda rude if ya ask me.....

Well if you're not the OP, then your reply is also rude And I didn't ask.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when Steve Pugh <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>This must be a very moody newsgroup...

Think of it as the chilled out, tolerant c.i.w.a.h