Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Can't Nest Tables in Excel

Can't Nest Tables in Excel

Adrienne

Here is my answer to people who use nested tables to position elements:

You can't nest tables in Excel, so why would you nest tables anywhere else?

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

Els

Adrienne wrote:

> Here is my answer to people who use nested tables to
> position elements:
>
> You can't nest tables in Excel, so why would you nest
> tables anywhere else?

Not trying to advocate the use of layout tables, but:

I can't get piccalilly on my burger at MacDonalds, so why would
I put piccalilly on my burger in my own kitchen?

--
Els
http://locusmeus.com/

Richard

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 11:13:58 GMT Adrienne wrote:

> Here is my answer to people who use nested tables to position elements:

> You can't nest tables in Excel, so why would you nest tables anywhere
> else?

Is invalid.
<tbody>
</tbody></table>

is valid.

SpaceGirl

Richard wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 11:13:58 GMT Adrienne wrote:
>

>>Here is my answer to people who use nested tables to position elements:

>>You can't nest tables in Excel, so why would you nest tables anywhere
>>else?

> Is invalid.
> <tbody>
> </tbody></table>
>
> is valid.

What does that even mean.

Steve Pugh

"Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote:
>On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 11:13:58 GMT Adrienne wrote:
>
>> Here is my answer to people who use nested tables to position elements:

>> You can't nest tables in Excel, so why would you nest tables anywhere
>> else?

Are you sure? I thought you could embed an Office object into a cell
of an Excel spreadsheet, so why can't that Office object be another
Excel spreadsheet? Not much of an Office expert so maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway considering that Excel and HTML have different purposes (though
both are widely used for all sorts of strange and bizarre additional
purposes) the analogy is quite weak.

>Is invalid.

Correct. You're missing the required sub-element of table.

> <tbody>
></tbody></table>
>
>is valid.

Incorrect. You're missing the required sub-element of tbody.

However, the first one has two tables and the second one has one
table. So you're not even comparing like with like.

is valid and (give or take the totally optional <tbody> tags) is what
is being discussed here.

The issue is whether one can think of tabular data that can contain
another table of data as the content of one of the data cells. I can
think of a few examples but most of them would be handled better by
writing the main table differently instead.

The authors of HTML either didn't consider this issue or did consider
it and decided that it was conceivable that a data table could contain
another data table, hence nested tables are allowed in HTML, which
sadly is one of the things that made tables so damn easy to abuse for
layout purposes.

Steve

Steve Pugh

SpaceGirl <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Richard wrote:
>>
>> Is invalid.
>> <tbody>
>> </tbody></table>
>>
>> is valid.

>What does that even mean.

The usual - that Richard hasn't got a clue. Based on past posts, he
thinks that <tbody> is some sort of table-within-a-table construction.
See http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...cd93e3f8cd78d9

Steve

SpaceGirl

Steve Pugh wrote:
> SpaceGirl <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Richard wrote:

>>>Is invalid.
>>> <tbody>
>>></tbody></table>
>>>
>>>is valid.

>>What does that even mean.

> The usual - that Richard hasn't got a clue. Based on past posts, he
> thinks that <tbody> is some sort of table-within-a-table construction.
> See http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...cd93e3f8cd78d9
>
> Steve

Yeah. He really needs to learn how to write HTML before giving advice.
That last comment of his was either; totally irrelevant or utterly
wrong. Not sure which.

Fat Sam

Adrienne wrote:
> Here is my answer to people who use nested tables to position elements:
>
> You can't nest tables in Excel, so why would you nest tables anywhere else?

Your argument fails to mention one important thing....Excel documents
and HTML documents are very different beasts....
By your reasoning, you might also say that you can't run a steam train
on petrol, so why would you use it to fuel any other vehicle?

--
www.fixaphoto.co.uk
for photographic restorations

Steve Pugh

SpaceGirl <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Steve Pugh wrote:
>> The usual - that Richard hasn't got a clue.
>>

>That last comment of his was either; totally irrelevant or utterly
>wrong. Not sure which.

Why rule out both?

Steve

Amy

"Adrienne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns960820E2C3AA6arbpenyahoocom@207.115.63.158 ...
> Here is my answer to people who use nested tables to position elements:
>
> You can't nest tables in Excel, so why would you nest tables anywhere
> else?

I think I know what you mean. Excel is essentially a huge, 65536 by 282
cell table.
With any layout, one could make these cells into any sizes they needed.
The major problem with using a single table is that you would end up with
rowspans and colspans of epic proportions.

I learned positioning throught embedded tables and 1 by 1 px transparent
spacer gifs. But, I am trying
really hard to be the css layout type. Wish me luck.