Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > RSS Feed - need an Idiot's Guide to RSS News on my website

RSS Feed - need an Idiot's Guide to RSS News on my website

teach_me6@hotmail.com

Hi, I'm new to RSS, XML, ETC... I attemped to follow some experts
directions but my synapses glazed over. I can code basic HTML stuff,
but that is about my limit.

Is there a simple step-by-step guide to adding these popular RSS News
Feeds to my website? I don't have access to to install new stuff on
the server, and hope I can still add these new bells to my site. Thank
you for your help.

Signed,
feeling sorta stupid

Roy Schestowitz

> Hi, I'm new to RSS, XML, ETC... I attempted to follow some experts
> directions but my synapses glazed over. I can code basic HTML stuff,
> but that is about my limit.

To get feeds working, you must separate your content from the layout first.
It sounds to me like you write static pages.

> Is there a simple step-by-step guide to adding these popular RSS News
> Feeds to my website?

Off-the-shelf installations are probably the least time consuming and the
most reliable.

> I don't have access to to install new stuff on
> the server, and hope I can still add these new bells to my site. Thank
> you for your help.

Do you at least have an SQL server? There are several different options for
creating feeds, but it seems to me like you turn to the more difficult
ones.

> Signed,
> feeling sorta stupid

This is actually an advanced-level question about a recent technology.

--
Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com

SpaceGirl

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi, I'm new to RSS, XML, ETC... I attemped to follow some experts
> directions but my synapses glazed over. I can code basic HTML stuff,
> but that is about my limit.
>
> Is there a simple step-by-step guide to adding these popular RSS News
> Feeds to my website? I don't have access to to install new stuff on
> the server, and hope I can still add these new bells to my site. Thank
> you for your help.
>
> Signed,
> feeling sorta stupid

As Roy said, this is not that simple. The way we do it on our sites =

ASP script (running on server) reads the latest news from the database
and packages it up as XML, and spits out the XML in RSS format to
whatever calls the script.

Example:

http://www.subhuman.net/news/garbagexml.asp

Steve Pugh

SpaceGirl <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>ASP script (running on server) reads the latest news from the database
>and packages it up as XML, and spits out the XML in RSS format to
>whatever calls the script.
>
>Example:
>http://www.subhuman.net/news/garbagexml.asp

It's being served as text/html so some software won't recognise it as
a feed. I use application/rss+xml for the one feed I have total
control over but there are other possibilities such as text/xml. I
don't think there's one absolute best choice, but text/html is wrong.

Steve

teach_me6@hotmail.com

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I can code basic HTML stuff,
but that is about my limit.
I was hoping for an "Rss Feed for idiots" or basic steps to setting up
an RSS Feed. The search continues.

SpaceGirl

Steve Pugh wrote:
> SpaceGirl <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>ASP script (running on server) reads the latest news from the database
>>and packages it up as XML, and spits out the XML in RSS format to
>>whatever calls the script.
>>
>>Example:
>>http://www.subhuman.net/news/garbagexml.asp

> It's being served as text/html so some software won't recognise it as
> a feed. I use application/rss+xml for the one feed I have total
> control over but there are other possibilities such as text/xml. I
> don't think there's one absolute best choice, but text/html is wrong.
>
> Steve

You're right. I hadn't noticed! I'll fix that in a minute.