Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > eek firefox prob with divs

eek firefox prob with divs

the idiot

ive got a couple of divs side by side
left is (for now) is a grey box
and the right one has an overflow
anyway it all works perfectley well in ie and opera but is totally buggered
in firefox
any suggestions?
http://www.seanmcallister.com/html/index1.html

(ignore all the links cos they dont work properly at the mo)

and no laughing at my code
tia

Steve Pugh

"the idiot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>ive got a couple of divs side by side
>left is (for now) is a grey box
>and the right one has an overflow
>anyway it all works perfectley well in ie and opera but is totally buggered
>in firefox
>any suggestions?
>http://www.seanmcallister.com/html/index1.html

You trigger quirks mode so IE6 and Opera 7 will attempt to emulate the
bugs in IE5.

You have floats but nothing to clear them. As floats are taken out of
the document flow they do not contribute to the height of their
containers (IE5 gets this wrong, and hence so do browsers that emulate
it). Trying adding a clear to the first element that should appear
after the floats.

Steve

the idiot

"Steve Pugh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "the idiot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >ive got a couple of divs side by side
> >left is (for now) is a grey box
> >and the right one has an overflow
> >anyway it all works perfectley well in ie and opera but is totally

buggered
> >in firefox
> >any suggestions?
> >http://www.seanmcallister.com/html/index1.html

> You trigger quirks mode so IE6 and Opera 7 will attempt to emulate the
> bugs in IE5.
>
> You have floats but nothing to clear them. As floats are taken out of
> the document flow they do not contribute to the height of their
> containers (IE5 gets this wrong, and hence so do browsers that emulate
> it). Trying adding a clear to the first element that should appear
> after the floats.
>
> Steve

cheers but pardon my ignorance how do i add a 'clear' ? or what would i put?
ill look it up on w3c soon i promise

Steve Pugh

"the idiot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"Steve Pugh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>> You have floats but nothing to clear them. As floats are taken out of
>> the document flow they do not contribute to the height of their
>> containers (IE5 gets this wrong, and hence so do browsers that emulate
>> it). Trying adding a clear to the first element that should appear
>> after the floats.
>>

>cheers but pardon my ignorance how do i add a 'clear' ? or what would i put?
>ill look it up on w3c soon i promise

Add clear: both; to the styles for the element in question.

Steve

the idiot

"Steve Pugh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "the idiot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >"Steve Pugh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >>
> >> You have floats but nothing to clear them. As floats are taken out of
> >> the document flow they do not contribute to the height of their
> >> containers (IE5 gets this wrong, and hence so do browsers that emulate
> >> it). Trying adding a clear to the first element that should appear
> >> after the floats.
> >>

> >cheers but pardon my ignorance how do i add a 'clear' ? or what would i

put?
> >ill look it up on w3c soon i promise

> Add clear: both; to the styles for the element in question.

cheers ive had a look on w3c and have been fiddling but to no avail though i
will continue. thanks a lot sir.

the idiot

"Steve Pugh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "the idiot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >"Steve Pugh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >>
> >> You have floats but nothing to clear them. As floats are taken out of
> >> the document flow they do not contribute to the height of their
> >> containers (IE5 gets this wrong, and hence so do browsers that emulate
> >> it). Trying adding a clear to the first element that should appear
> >> after the floats.
> >>

> >cheers but pardon my ignorance how do i add a 'clear' ? or what would i

put?
> >ill look it up on w3c soon i promise

> Add clear: both; to the styles for the element in question.

well its fixed some of it but ive still got a problem arghhhhh
http://www.seanmcallister.com/html/index1.html

Steve Pugh

"the idiot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"Steve Pugh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> "the idiot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >"Steve Pugh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .

>well its fixed some of it but ive still got a problem arghhhhh
>http://www.seanmcallister.com/html/index1.html

Same problem.

align="right" is the same as float: right so your tables are floated.
Hence they (a) don't contribute the height of the div which then
collapses to zero as it has no other content and (b) the content
following after the div sits alognside the floated tables.

You need an element with clear: right between the </table>
and the </div>

Steve

the idiot

"Steve Pugh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> "the idiot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >"Steve Pugh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .

of

emulate

> >well its fixed some of it but ive still got a problem arghhhhh
> >http://www.seanmcallister.com/html/index1.html

> Same problem.
>
> align="right" is the same as float: right so your tables are floated.
> Hence they (a) don't contribute the height of the div which then
> collapses to zero as it has no other content and (b) the content
> following after the div sits alognside the floated tables.
>
> You need an element with clear: right between the </table>
> and the </div>

aha... i'll get there in the end - thanks for your patience sir... my
ignorance knows no bounds.

Richard

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:37:56 -0000 the idiot wrote:

> ive got a couple of divs side by side
> left is (for now) is a grey box
> and the right one has an overflow
> anyway it all works perfectley well in ie and opera but is totally
> buggered
> in firefox
> any suggestions?
> http://www.seanmcallister.com/html/index1.html

> (ignore all the links cos they dont work properly at the mo)

> and no laughing at my code
> tia

You have not yet learned that firefox will show what you code as being
correct.
Firefox assumes nothing and forgives nothing.
That's one reason I trashed IE.

the idiot

"Steve Pugh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> "the idiot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >"Steve Pugh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .

of

emulate

> >well its fixed some of it but ive still got a problem arghhhhh
> >http://www.seanmcallister.com/html/index1.html

> Same problem.
>
> align="right" is the same as float: right so your tables are floated.
> Hence they (a) don't contribute the height of the div which then
> collapses to zero as it has no other content and (b) the content
> following after the div sits alognside the floated tables.
>
> You need an element with clear: right between the </table>
> and the </div>
>
> Steve

sir, you are a star. thank you.