Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > hundreds of images download a little slow

Reply
Thread Tools

hundreds of images download a little slow

 
 
windandwaves
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-22-2005
Hi Folk

I have a page with about 300 images. All of them are very small (they total about 40Kb).

However, they do seem to take a while to download (Firebox seems to be doing one at the time).

Is there anyway I can speed up this process?

Thank you

- Nicolaas


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Roy Schestowitz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-22-2005
windandwaves wrote:

> Hi Folk
>
> I have a page with about 300 images. All of them are very small (they
> total about 40Kb).
>
> However, they do seem to take a while to download (Firebox seems to be
> doing one at the time).
>
> Is there anyway I can speed up this process?
>
> Thank you
>
> - Nicolaas


Enable pipelining.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20453

--
Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
windandwaves
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-22-2005

"Roy Schestowitz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:cve1ir$1sk7$(E-Mail Removed)...
> windandwaves wrote:
>
>> Hi Folk
>>
>> I have a page with about 300 images. All of them are very small (they
>> total about 40Kb).
>>
>> However, they do seem to take a while to download (Firebox seems to be
>> doing one at the time).
>>
>> Is there anyway I can speed up this process?
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> - Nicolaas

>
> Enable pipelining.
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20453
>
> --


Thank you Roy, that is allright for the user, by I am the administrator, the person making the site and I can not tell the world to
download FireFox and start pipelining just for my one little silly page.

Is there something you can do on the server, with php or perhaps JavaScript?


 
Reply With Quote
 
Roy Schestowitz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-22-2005
windandwaves wrote:

>
> "Roy Schestowitz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cve1ir$1sk7$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> windandwaves wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Folk
>>>
>>> I have a page with about 300 images. All of them are very small (they
>>> total about 40Kb).
>>>
>>> However, they do seem to take a while to download (Firebox seems to be
>>> doing one at the time).
>>>
>>> Is there anyway I can speed up this process?
>>>
>>> Thank you
>>>
>>> - Nicolaas

>>
>> Enable pipelining.
>>
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20453
>>
>> --

>
> Thank you Roy, that is allright for the user, by I am the administrator,
> the person making the site and I can not tell the world to download
> FireFox and start pipelining just for my one little silly page.
>
> Is there something you can do on the server, with php or perhaps
> JavaScript?


I realised that you were the administrator, but I thought it was a private
page of yours, e.g. a portal.

What's the URL? Are you sure you can't combine the (/some of the) images to
make larger 'chunks'? If your page contains 300+ elements (essentially hits
too), no wonder it takes a long time to long. Can you imagine the mess this
inflicts upon cache? And the size of the log on the Web server?

Roy

--
Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Disco Octopus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-22-2005
Roy Schestowitz wrote :
> windandwaves wrote:
>
>> Hi Folk
>>
>> I have a page with about 300 images. All of them are very small (they
>> total about 40Kb).
>>
>> However, they do seem to take a while to download (Firebox seems to be
>> doing one at the time).
>>
>> Is there anyway I can speed up this process?
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> - Nicolaas

>
> Enable pipelining.
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20453


wow. i didnt know about the about:config. thats very groovy.

--
talk to the teacher now and then about something other than the subject

 
Reply With Quote
 
Roy Schestowitz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-22-2005
Disco Octopus wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote :
>> windandwaves wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Folk
>>>
>>> I have a page with about 300 images. All of them are very small (they
>>> total about 40Kb).
>>>
>>> However, they do seem to take a while to download (Firebox seems to be
>>> doing one at the time).
>>>
>>> Is there anyway I can speed up this process?
>>>
>>> Thank you
>>>
>>> - Nicolaas

>>
>> Enable pipelining.
>>
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20453

>
> wow. i didnt know about the about:config. thats very groovy.


....will only boost things under certain circumstances. Sites hate it, we
love it...

*smile*

--
Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-22-2005
On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 01:23:06 +0000 Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> windandwaves wrote:


>> Hi Folk


>> I have a page with about 300 images. All of them are very small
>> (they
>> total about 40Kb).


>> However, they do seem to take a while to download (Firebox seems to be
>> doing one at the time).


>> Is there anyway I can speed up this process?


>> Thank you


>> - Nicolaas


> Enable pipelining.


> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20453



That's fine for the visitor who may or may not be using firefox.
He's talking about sending the 300+ images to ANY browser FROM the server.

If you'd bother to check out the firefox site, you'd also find a more
detailed thing there about the "about:configure" file.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-22-2005
On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 13:52:26 +1300 windandwaves wrote:

> Hi Folk


> I have a page with about 300 images. All of them are very small (they
> total about 40Kb).


> However, they do seem to take a while to download (Firebox seems to be
> doing one at the time).


> Is there anyway I can speed up this process?


> Thank you


> - Nicolaas



Might take me all of 2 seconds to load that many at that size.
Why on earth do you have a need for so many damn small images?
The only thing I can think of would be for tracker crap.

Try a preloading routine.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Roy Schestowitz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-22-2005
Richard wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 01:23:06 +0000 Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> windandwaves wrote:

>
>>> Hi Folk

>
>>> I have a page with about 300 images. All of them are very small
>>> (they
>>> total about 40Kb).

>
>>> However, they do seem to take a while to download (Firebox seems to be
>>> doing one at the time).

>
>>> Is there anyway I can speed up this process?

>
>>> Thank you

>
>>> - Nicolaas

>
>> Enable pipelining.

>
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20453

>
>
> That's fine for the visitor who may or may not be using firefox.
> He's talking about sending the 300+ images to ANY browser FROM the server.


As already said, I assumed he was administrator creating a hidden page for
personal use.

> If you'd bother to check out the firefox site, you'd also find a more
> detailed thing there about the "about:configure" file.


I did not know that. Thanks, I'll check it out...

Roy

--
Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Roy Schestowitz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-22-2005
Richard wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 13:52:26 +1300 windandwaves wrote:
>
>> Hi Folk

>
>> I have a page with about 300 images. All of them are very small (they
>> total about 40Kb).

>
>> However, they do seem to take a while to download (Firebox seems to be
>> doing one at the time).

>
>> Is there anyway I can speed up this process?

>
>> Thank you

>
>> - Nicolaas

>
>
> Might take me all of 2 seconds to load that many at that size.
> Why on earth do you have a need for so many damn small images?
> The only thing I can think of would be for tracker crap.
>
> Try a preloading routine.


I thought about that, but this would only make things graceful, not quicker.

<sacrcasm>
How about this: tar or zip all the files, attach a batch script to the
archive and ask the user to run the script. Might be quicker...
</sacrcasm>

--
Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: slow slow slow! Expert lino fitter Computer Support 0 12-10-2008 02:33 PM
1 little 2 little 3 little Kennedys dale Digital Photography 0 03-23-2008 01:03 PM
Hundreds of useful freeware download fuchenghong@gmail.com Computer Support 0 12-09-2007 06:16 AM
Hundreds of useful freeware download fuchenghong@gmail.com Digital Photography 0 12-09-2007 06:00 AM
Need to create thumbnails for images in hundreds of folders sanders_wv@yahoo.com Digital Photography 11 09-26-2007 02:24 PM



Advertisments