Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Opinions

Opinions

Stewart Gordon

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc. wrote:
> "Stewart Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cvcujh$7h$(E-Mail Removed)...

<snip>
>> Call yourself "professional" or "experts"? I doubt many people would want
>> to use your services if they're going to end up with loads of pages that
>> don't anywhere near validate and look like they ought to have links on but
>> don't.
>>
>> Stewart.

> Clients who hire others to design their websites generally don't care about
> validation.

I guess people who hire designers potentially fall into a number of
categories:

- those who don't know HTML
- those who have some knowledge of HTML, but not to the extent that it
occurs to them to validate
- those who are more knowledgeable of HTML and consider standards
compliance and accessibility to be serious issues, but who would still
like the graphic design skills of a designer

OK, so some might say the latter is a contradiction - if you really know
about HTML then you know that HTML isn't designed for graphic design.
But OTOH, some might say the two can go perfectly hand in hand and
that's what CSS is for....

But just imagine someone paying a fortune to a designer and then getting
back at them, "Oy, the site you've made me is tag soup. As a result, I
have received a hundred letters from people complaining that they can't
read my site. That's no good. I want my money back."

But this doesn't really change my point, that if you call yourself
professional then it suggests that you know how to do what you're doing.
And if you call yourself expert then it _means_ you know how to do it.
As such, in this instance it's false advertising and should be removed.

> They want a website that looks good to them and provides the
> results they're looking for.

Maybe. I guess it boils down to how many clients bother looking for any
results at all in:

- more than one browser
- more than one browser version
- more than one browser configuration
- more than one machine's collection of plugins
- more than one kind of browser (graphical, text, Braille, speech,
whatever else)
- more than one display size/resolution (different resolutions/window
sizes, TV screens, PDAs, mobile phones)
- users who are limited in which devices they can use to interact with
the browser
- search engines

> I challenge you to find a website, of a
> multi-million dollar corporation, that validates.

Good challenge. No doubt someone'll find one. Or maybe someone here
who works for a multi-million dollar corporation (or a multi-million
pound corporation or a multi-million euro corporation or whatever) and
is reading this'll now go and fix it.

Stewart.

the 'group where everyone may benefit.

Karl Core

news:cvfoqr$kb8$(E-Mail Removed)...

I've already found one - http://www.att.com

--
Karl Core
Hell To Pay, Baltimore Hardcore: http://www.eightninethree.com

Toby Inkster

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc. wrote:

> I challenge you to find a website, of a multi-million dollar
> corporation, that validates.

Well, if you're going to issue challenges, Opera ASA has a revenue of
about 4 million USD per quarter. http://www.opera.com/ validates.

So does Hewlett Packard's front page (and associated style sheet).

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Stewart Gordon

Karl Core wrote:
> "Stewart Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cvfoqr$kb8$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc. wrote:

>>> I challenge you to find a website, of a multi-million dollar corporation,
>>> that validates.

<snip>
> I've already found one - http://www.att.com

The homepage validates, but the rest of the pages I've checked on that
site don't.