Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Marquee and validation

Marquee and validation

Big Bill

Was there *ever* an html spec that marquee was valid in? Like, 1, or 3
Transitional, or whatever? I have a site I'm trying to validate and
I'm a bit stuck on how to do it. Feel free to point me at urls in that
cheery way you have over here.

BB
--
www.kruse.co.uk http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
home of SEO that's shiny!

Lauri Raittila

in alt.html, Big Bill wrote:
> Was there *ever* an html spec that marquee was valid in?

No.

> I have a site I'm trying to validate []

If you actually have some good reason to have marquee, then you can make
custom DTD to validate. Lots about validation:
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/validation.html

Utrecht, NL.

rf

"Big Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Was there *ever* an html spec that marquee was valid in? Like, 1, or 3
> Transitional,

No.

Nico Schuyt

Big Bill wrote:
> Was there *ever* an html spec that marquee was valid in? Like, 1, or 3
> Transitional, or whatever? I have a site I'm trying to validate and
> I'm a bit stuck on how to do it.

Mislead the validator by using javascript document.write() to write the
coding for the marquee

--
Nico
http://www.nicoschuyt.nl

Big Bill

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 00:54:02 +0100, Lauri Raittila
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>in alt.html, Big Bill wrote:
>> Was there *ever* an html spec that marquee was valid in?

>No.
>
>> I have a site I'm trying to validate []

>If you actually have some good reason to have marquee, then you can make
>custom DTD to validate. Lots about validation:
>http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/validation.html

I bookmarked that, ta.

BB
--
www.kruse.co.uk (E-Mail Removed)
home of SEO that's shiny!

Big Bill

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:09:30 +0100, "Nico Schuyt"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Big Bill wrote:
>> Was there *ever* an html spec that marquee was valid in? Like, 1, or 3
>> Transitional, or whatever? I have a site I'm trying to validate and
>> I'm a bit stuck on how to do it.

>Mislead the validator by using javascript document.write() to write the
>coding for the marquee

It's a bleeding big marquee

www.marshallharber.com

Like a lot of tyhis stuff it looks dead pretty but it's a nightmare to
get the engines liking it. I'm going to have each word going to a
relevant page. Probably.

BB
--
www.kruse.co.uk (E-Mail Removed)
home of SEO that's shiny!

Leif K-Brooks

Nico Schuyt wrote:
> Big Bill wrote:
>
>>Was there *ever* an html spec that marquee was valid in? Like, 1, or 3
>>Transitional, or whatever? I have a site I'm trying to validate and
>>I'm a bit stuck on how to do it.

> Mislead the validator by using javascript document.write() to write the
> coding for the marquee

Why? If your goal in validating is to create a more accessible Web site,
you're doing the opposite of that by making part of your site dependent
on Javascript support.

Nico Schuyt

>> Big Bill wrote:

>>> Was there *ever* an html spec that marquee was valid in? Like, 1,
>>> or 3 Transitional, or whatever? I have a site I'm trying to
>>> validate and I'm a bit stuck on how to do it.

>> Mislead the validator by using javascript document.write() to write
>> the coding for the marquee

> Why? If your goal in validating is to create a more accessible Web
> site, you're doing the opposite of that by making part of your site
> dependent on Javascript support.

Well, I suppose it's a compromise
1. It gives you the satisfaction of 'Congratulations! Valid HTML!' in a
validator
2. Who cares about disappearance of the bloody marquee when js is disabled

--
Nico
http://www.nicoschuyt.nl

Leif K-Brooks

Nico Schuyt wrote:
>>>Big Bill wrote:

>>>Mislead the validator by using javascript document.write() to write
>>>the coding for the marquee

>>Why? If your goal in validating is to create a more accessible Web
>>site, you're doing the opposite of that by making part of your site
>>dependent on Javascript support.

> 2. Who cares about disappearance of the bloody marquee when js is disabled

Yeah, but the text inside the marquee will be gone too.

Steve Pugh

Leif K-Brooks <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>Why? If your goal in validating is to create a more accessible Web
>>>site, you're doing the opposite of that by making part of your site
>>>dependent on Javascript support.

>> 2. Who cares about disappearance of the bloody marquee when js is disabled
>>

>Yeah, but the text inside the marquee will be gone too.

<script type="text/javascript">
document.write('<marquee>');
</script>

Content

<script type="text/javascript">
document.write('</marquee>');
</script>

Still a stupid idea but preserves the content.

Could be done more elegantly through the DOM.

Steve