Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > frames question for xpert

frames question for xpert

Duende

While sitting in a puddle rf scribbled in the mud:

> FWIW I concur with your assessment. If someone is trying to learn how to
> build a sand castle you don't hand him a front end loader.

You do if you want them to build you a BIG sand castle.

--
D?
Adults die young.

Karl Core

"mscir" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Karl Core wrote:

>>>height="120" bgcolor="#A2C0E4" align='center'>
>>>
>>>To keep the existing layout, try changing 770.

>> Please do not give out any more HTML advice. Ever.

> Why do you say that?
>
> If he couldn't find out why the width was fixed, he's probably pretty much
> of a beginner with HTML and has his hands full right now. I debated
> whether I should suggest he learn CSS but it didn't seem appropriate. I
> learned what CSS I do know after I became comfortable with HTML, maybe
> that doesn't work for everybody but it worked for me, assuming this has
> anything at all to do with your comment.

I'm sorry. I thought the above snippet of markup was of your creation.

--
Karl Core
Hell To Pay, Baltimore Hardcore: http://www.eightninethree.com

mscir

Karl Core wrote:
> "mscir" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>Karl Core wrote:

>>>Please do not give out any more HTML advice. Ever.

>>Why do you say that?
>>
>>If he couldn't find out why the width was fixed, he's probably pretty much
>>of a beginner with HTML and has his hands full right now. I debated
>>whether I should suggest he learn CSS but it didn't seem appropriate. I
>>learned what CSS I do know after I became comfortable with HTML, maybe
>>that doesn't work for everybody but it worked for me, assuming this has
>>anything at all to do with your comment.

> I'm sorry. I thought the above snippet of markup was of your creation.

I thought about it a lot, whether I was giving lame advice, and I have
to agree I could have given a lot better answer. e.g. recommend that the
OP eventually try the following:

1. validate the HTML:
http://validator.w3.org/
2. learn CSS and format all page elements w/CSS
3. validate the CSS:
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator-uri.html
4. don't use frames:
http://www.apptools.com/rants/framesevil.php
5. don't use tables for layout:
http://www.saila.com/usage/layouts/cssvtables.shtml
http://glish.com/css/
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts
6. usa a more liquid approach: variable table width:
http://www.mvd.com/webguide/style2.shtml

I didn't want to appear to be coming down too hard on a beginner, but I
think I did him a disservice by not giving a more comprehensive answer.

Thanks,
Mike

Reporting services Credentials Xpert Help need Phils ASP .Net 0 11-30-2006 01:35 PM
Frames or not Frames... Ale HTML 17 08-05-2005 12:10 AM
Link needed to go from a non-frames page to a Frames page, and load a particular frame. How? - Newbe Philip HTML 3 06-28-2004 03:06 PM
[Xpert] Changing the size of a JFrame dynamically Pierre Vigneras Java 1 01-24-2004 03:14 PM
From Frames to no frames? Powerslave2112 HTML 2 01-20-2004 10:30 PM

Advertisments