Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Order forms in webpages

Reply
Thread Tools

Order forms in webpages

 
 
keggler
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-16-2005
Hi,

I want to design a simple order form for goods; something like: item
name, stock code, availability, and have the customer request an item
via a tick box and a quantity field; then pass this information into a
simple email order form (no secure credit cards or anything like that
just now)...

Will I have to write/run all this server-side? Or will it work in
Javascript within the browser?

Will I need say, a database of stock that is displayed and
interogated?

Does anyone know of any "off-the-shelf" solutions? Or am I faced with
coding a bespoke system?

TIA

Susan
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Deryck
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-16-2005

"keggler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi,
>
> I want to design a simple order form for goods; something like: item
> name, stock code, availability, and have the customer request an item
> via a tick box and a quantity field; then pass this information into a
> simple email order form (no secure credit cards or anything like that
> just now)...
>
> Will I have to write/run all this server-side? Or will it work in
> Javascript within the browser?
>


You dont have to run it server side but you might choose to. It depends on
how many of your customers will be using Javascript.

> Will I need say, a database of stock that is displayed and
> interogated?
>


You may do if you have a large amount of stock.

> Does anyone know of any "off-the-shelf" solutions? Or am I faced with
> coding a bespoke system?
>


I looked at several Javascript carts for a project once. Most were crap but
I found the one on http://www.nopdesign.com to be quite good.

HTH

Deryck


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Fat Bloke
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-16-2005
On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 12:02:11 -0000, "Deryck" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>
>"keggler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed). com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to design a simple order form for goods; something like: item
>> name, stock code, availability, and have the customer request an item
>> via a tick box and a quantity field; then pass this information into a
>> simple email order form (no secure credit cards or anything like that
>> just now)...
>>
>> Will I have to write/run all this server-side? Or will it work in
>> Javascript within the browser?
>>

>
>You dont have to run it server side but you might choose to. It depends on
>how many of your customers will be using Javascript.
>
>> Will I need say, a database of stock that is displayed and
>> interogated?
>>

>
>You may do if you have a large amount of stock.
>
>> Does anyone know of any "off-the-shelf" solutions? Or am I faced with
>> coding a bespoke system?
>>

>
>I looked at several Javascript carts for a project once. Most were crap but
>I found the one on http://www.nopdesign.com to be quite good.
>
>HTH
>
>Deryck
>

Unless you're never going to increase / decrease the items offered,
unless you're never going to change the price of any of them,
unless you're never going to change the shipping, etc,
you really need to consider a database-driven site you can run from your
desktop.
Why farff around with half-processing the order client-side and then having
them send it to you? If the information has to get to you, let your
customer base input it directly into your server-side database.
Most webhosting companies offer php and MySQL today. These are virtually
free and are fairly easy to handle and code for.
If you want some assistance / advice post to me direct (pull the pins out).
I'm retired and bored silly, and if it's not too big a project initially,
I'll do it for you.
I've done a few you can look at.

Yooors,

Iain.
------------------------------------------------------------

This post did not necessarily reflect my opinions. So there.
Pull the pins out to reply direct.
 
Reply With Quote
 
keggler
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-17-2005
Fat Bloke <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 12:02:11 -0000, "Deryck" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >
> >"keggler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed). com...
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I want to design a simple order form for goods; something like: item
> >> name, stock code, availability, and have the customer request an item
> >> via a tick box and a quantity field; then pass this information into a
> >> simple email order form (no secure credit cards or anything like that
> >> just now)...
> >>
> >> Will I have to write/run all this server-side? Or will it work in
> >> Javascript within the browser?
> >>

> >
> >You dont have to run it server side but you might choose to. It depends on
> >how many of your customers will be using Javascript.
> >
> >> Will I need say, a database of stock that is displayed and
> >> interogated?
> >>

> >
> >You may do if you have a large amount of stock.
> >
> >> Does anyone know of any "off-the-shelf" solutions? Or am I faced with
> >> coding a bespoke system?
> >>

> >
> >I looked at several Javascript carts for a project once. Most were crap but
> >I found the one on http://www.nopdesign.com to be quite good.
> >
> >HTH
> >
> >Deryck
> >

> Unless you're never going to increase / decrease the items offered,
> unless you're never going to change the price of any of them,
> unless you're never going to change the shipping, etc,
> you really need to consider a database-driven site you can run from your
> desktop.
> Why farff around with half-processing the order client-side and then having
> them send it to you? If the information has to get to you, let your
> customer base input it directly into your server-side database.
> Most webhosting companies offer php and MySQL today. These are virtually
> free and are fairly easy to handle and code for.
> If you want some assistance / advice post to me direct (pull the pins out).
> I'm retired and bored silly, and if it's not too big a project initially,
> I'll do it for you.
> I've done a few you can look at.
>
> Yooors,
>
> Iain.
> ------------------------------------------------------------
>
> This post did not necessarily reflect my opinions. So there.
> Pull the pins out to reply direct.



Thanks so much for your replies Deryck and Iain; Deryck I will look
into that Javascript cart; and Iain I may very well take you up on
your kind offer...


Susan
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
forms authentication -- expired forms cookie vs. not provided forms cookie Eric ASP .Net Security 2 01-27-2006 10:09 PM
If you get an order # does it mean the order is accepted? =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUxMDc3?= Windows 64bit 3 05-12-2005 11:46 PM
Traversion order cf. output order in XSL Soren Kuula XML 2 02-01-2004 09:10 AM
In which order are files looked for when loaded/requierd - and what'sthe order of suffixes? Stephan Kämper Ruby 2 01-18-2004 02:07 PM
How to Display DropDownList with preserved order (custom order) cspoh ASP .Net Web Controls 0 07-31-2003 09:19 AM



Advertisments