Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Another question if someone doesn't mind answering this for me

Another question if someone doesn't mind answering this for me

Kate

news:qpGQd.163436$(E-Mail Removed)...

<http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...354002@goddamn
> .co.uk>
>
> Toby is a very smart man. Worth paying attention to

Many thanks have printed this off to read.

Best regards
Kate

Steve Greenaway

Kermit the Frog stuck a mic in Barbara's face, who said:

>Have you ever seen this post?
><http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=pan.2003.10.19.16.05.38.354002@goddamn .co.uk>

>It is a valuable guidance, contributed already over a year ago by Toby,
>but still very much worth your while reading.

I like it. Except maybe the bits about 20pounds... if I read it
correctly, the better work I do, the poorer I get!

--
- Steve
"I think a good friend would recommend CLR to all his friends."

Barbara de Zoete

On 16 Feb 2005 15:44:10 GMT, Steve Greenaway <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Kermit the Frog stuck a mic in Barbara's face, who said:
>
>> Have you ever seen this post?
>> <http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=pan.2003.10.19.16.05.38.354002@goddamn .co.uk>

>> It is a valuable guidance, contributed already over a year ago by Toby,
>> but still very much worth your while reading.

> I like it. Except maybe the bits about 20pounds...

lol

> if I read it
> correctly, the better work I do, the poorer I get!

It's a minor investment to do, and it allows you to implement years of
experience in your own ways. I can see only winners.

Uncle Pirate

rf wrote:

> "Barbara de Zoete" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>

>>Have you ever seen this post?
>>

> <http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...354002@goddamn
> .co.uk>
>
> Toby is a very smart man. Worth paying attention to

Agreed. I also went and read that article. Full of good points. I'll
not send the 20 though.

Coordinator, Tularosa Basin Chapter, ABATE of NM; AMA#758681; COBB
'94 1500 Vulcan (now wrecked) http://motorcyclefun.org/Dcp_2068c.jpg

Kate

"rf" <rf@.invalid> wrote in message
news:gEGQd.163474$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Kate" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>
> > Richard would you mind later today or tomorrow, when I have had a chance

> > read, re-read and read through it again, if I came back with a few

> questions
> > on your comments and advice? Only I tend to like to digest info, try to
> > figure things out then if I can't ask questions.

> Please return and ask any further questions you need to. This is one of

the
> reasons I lurk here.
>
> http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/tricks/why.htm
>
> Bear in mind that I am UTC +10 hours. So... it is now almost my bedtime

> When you post again please include your latest effort on the template you
> are building. We can, together, critisise it and make it better.

Good evening/morning firstly, don't know how late it is over there now.
Ok I've made a few changes and now have some questions if you don't mind
enlightening me.

>Supply a correct doctype (look at http://www.W3C.org for one) and all
>browsers will treat height as a percentage of the containing box.

I have changed the DTD to strict as suggested, and have done a bit of
reading in last 24hrs on this subject, as you may remember I stated that
Stones Webwriter placed this in auto, and I didn't bother changing it as I
knew little about it.

>> I would preferably like to have the blue menu bar run the full length of

the
>> page where there is page content past the immediate frame of view.

>This is not going to happen. There are various ways to simulate this, such
>as using background colours.
><tinkers/>
>http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/menu.html
>Be sure to change your font size so you can see the "navbar" changing in
>width.

I have now dropped this idea, and will look into it again at a later date
when I have gained more knowledge in css. I did take a look at the page and
printed off copies of the css and the page itself for future reference. I'm
not to confident with em so I ended up using % in both width and font. It
seems to do the same trick, font changing size along with div size.

This also works well when I make the browser window small, everything in
it's place so to speak.

>> The second question is I have a horizontal scroll bar in again Netscape
>> and Firefox, but not in IE and Opera,

>It's the header thats causing the problem. Look up width in the CSS
>reccomendations:
>http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/visude...#propdef-width
>You have specified 100%, that is 100% of the headers containing box (which
>is effectively the viewport). The 100% is that of the content. That is, the
>bits inside the borders. Then you have added a border which makes the div
>wider than the viewport by two pixels.

Lol... yep I figured this out about ten minutes before your post.

>You have a few more issues.

>Do not specify font size in pixels. This prevents IE users from changing

the
>font size to their liking, unless they use the accessibility options to
>ignore your fonts entirely.

Noted and change as stated above.

> Don't style a div to be a header. Use a <h1> element. It is suspected that
> search engines pay more attention to headings than other text on the page.

Yes I knew when I was doing it, that I should really have used a <h1>
element. Tell me why do different browser display the element in different
sizes? Fire Fox and IE display it the same, text tall and slim, where as
Opera and Netscape the text is slightly shorter and looks as if it's in
bold.

> Don't position things absolutely (the top menu). When I change my font

size
> the rest of the graphics and sometimes the text overlaps that absolutely
> positioned stuff. Simply put the menu inside the content div and let it

flow
> normally. At the moment the position of those menu items also depends on

the
> viewport width. A wide viewport causes the menu "bar" to seperate and look
> odd. A narrow viewport causes the menu items ot overlap and look

unreadable.

This top menu has given me a headache, I would like it there but no amount
of placing it in a containing div, moving it around has got it the way I
want it, so for now I am going to omit it from the page design. I may come
back to this one in a few weeks, when I feel in the mood for tackling it
again.

> I would not float: left the centre column. I would specify left and right
> margins as big as the left and right columns. That way you can use up all
> the canvas instead of having an inch or so of vacant space at the right of
> that middle column.

As I was using the three column layout below the header div, if I didn't
float left the content div it meant the right column ended up beneath the
left column. I did try your suggestion, not once but a few times. The
first time thinking there was something missing when it did the above. But
alas I couldn't get all three columns to fall side by side. And due to the
vacant space that you mentioned above, (that was annoying, it didn't look
good I will agree) I have now change it to a two column. Placing the menu
and the right content boxes in a left column containing div which I floated
left and had just the content on the right side. Not quite what I wanted
but it looks ok for now.

> You have not specified a with for the left column. This is in fact an

error.
> The recommendations state that floated elements should have a width

(unless
> there is an intrinsic width). The way it is you are defaulting to the

width
> of the content, which you don't know.

I did not actually realise that, thank you for this info. I have rectified
this.

> When you do specify a width make it in ems. That way the width of that
> column adjusts to the font size, not some arbitrary percentage of the
> viewport.

I have already mentioned this above. I do have a question on this though, I
don't really understand em, what is it in relation to px and percentage? I
noticed that 1em seemed to look around 4 or 5 px. I think I need to do a
little more research into this before I feel confident in using it.

> Don't specify padding etc in points. Points are for print media. Use

pixels
> where you can be sure you actually do have for example 10 pixels.

I have also rectified this. I actually thought I had changed them all, but
that was a stray one. I did ask a week or so about pt px etc, and Barbara
kindly told me that it was better to use px.

> Lastly, simplify your CSS. You don't need to specify default things

(float:
> none. Use the shorcuts. border-top: solid 1px black; is easier to read

and
> easier to maintain than all those border properties you are using.

Padding:
> 1em; rather than padding-left: ...

I hope the updated version is cleaner, though I'm sure to be told if not,
lol... when you do get a sec would you mind taking a look and throwing some
criticisms (good or bad ) my way.

Many thanks in advance,
Kate

Kate

Sorry forgot the links.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/wwsfamilies/

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/wwsfamilies/test_update3.css

Also I don't seem to be able to add any padding to the content and Opera
dispalys it with a gap above the menu content div, any idea on why?

Kate

Kate

"Kate" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4214bc44$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sorry forgot the links.
>
> http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/wwsfamilies/
>
> http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/wwsfamilies/test_update3.css
>
> Also I don't seem to be able to add any padding to the content

and Opera
> dispalys it with a gap above the menu content div, any idea on why?

I found it has something to do with the <h1>, why doesn't Opera like it? As
soon as I remove it, every thing falls in to place.

Kate

Lauri Raittila

in alt.html, Kate wrote:

> "Kate" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4214bc44$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Sorry forgot the links.
> >
> > http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/wwsfamilies/
> >
> > http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/wwsfamilies/test_update3.css
> >
> > Also I don't seem to be able to add any padding to the content

There is padding, but it is behind those floated menues.

> and Opera
> > dispalys it with a gap above the menu content div, any idea on why?

> I found it has something to do with the <h1>, why doesn't Opera like it? As
> soon as I remove it, every thing falls in to place.

Opera supports margin collapsing better than others, maybe that was the
reason. Hard to say as you seem to have changed the site.

Utrecht, NL.

Try Answering this Switching Question ? what is the Answer and why ? pvarulkumar Cisco 0 11-18-2008 02:05 AM
Question Regarding CAN you need Answering! simon_hood@agilent.com VHDL 0 02-14-2008 09:52 AM
Another question if you don't mind indulging me Kate HTML 5 02-16-2005 09:22 PM
PIX PPTP Not Answering Michael Cisco 0 01-24-2005 07:19 AM
Question on answering questions on test Carrito A+ Certification 2 02-19-2004 02:05 AM

Advertisments