Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > The Damn <form> Line Return Issue

Reply
Thread Tools

The Damn <form> Line Return Issue

 
 
Augustus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-15-2005

"Scott_From_PA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Has anyone figured out how to kill the line return that's created when
> you insert a form?
>
> form {
>
> margin-bottom: 0px;
> padding-top: 0px;
>
> }
>


try:

margin-top:0px;

instead of padding-top:0px;


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Els
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-15-2005
Scott_From_PA wrote:

> Has anyone figured out how to kill the line return that's
> created when you insert a form?
>
> form {
>
> margin-bottom: 0px;
> padding-top: 0px;
>
> }


form{margin-bottom:0;}

--
Els
http://locusmeus.com/
Sonhos vem. Sonhos vo. O resto imperfeito.
- Renato Russo -
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Els
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-15-2005
Els wrote:

> Scott_From_PA wrote:
>
>> Has anyone figured out how to kill the line return that's
>> created when you insert a form?
>>
>> form {
>>
>> margin-bottom: 0px;
>> padding-top: 0px;
>>
>> }

>
> form{margin-bottom:0;}


please ignore - I wasn't awake enough to see you already tried
that :\


--
Els
http://locusmeus.com/
Sonhos vem. Sonhos vo. O resto imperfeito.
- Renato Russo -
 
Reply With Quote
 
David Dorward
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-15-2005
Scott_From_PA wrote:

> Has anyone figured out how to kill the line return that's created when
> you insert a form?


display: inline

--
David Dorward <http://blog.dorward.me.uk/> <http://dorward.me.uk/>
Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
 
Reply With Quote
 
Scott_From_PA
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-15-2005
Has anyone figured out how to kill the line return that's created when
you insert a form?

form {

margin-bottom: 0px;
padding-top: 0px;

}


Arrrrg!

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jukka K. Korpela
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-15-2005
Els <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> form{margin-bottom:0;}

>
> please ignore - I wasn't awake enough to see you already tried
> that :\


Now we only need to see the OP's URL to find out what the real problem is.
So the problem will probably remain a mystery. Or does someone wish to try
and figure out the URL based on the alleged domain in OP's E-mail address,
noway.com?

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
Pages about Web authoring: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www.html


 
Reply With Quote
 
Els
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-15-2005
Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> Els <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> form{margin-bottom:0;}

>>
>> please ignore - I wasn't awake enough to see you already
>> tried that :\

>
> Now we only need to see the OP's URL to find out what the
> real problem is. So the problem will probably remain a
> mystery. Or does someone wish to try and figure out the URL
> based on the alleged domain in OP's E-mail address,
> noway.com?


As far as the guessing game goes: I think he does mean the
infamous white space below a form (usually noticed when putting
a form inside a table cell), and that he made a minor mistake in
the CSS so that the margin-bottom:0 got ignored.

But again: just guessing

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
Sonhos vem. Sonhos vo. O resto imperfeito.
- Renato Russo -
Now playing: David Bowie - Wild Is the Wind
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jukka K. Korpela
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-15-2005
Els <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> As far as the guessing game goes: I think he does mean the
> infamous white space below a form (usually noticed when putting
> a form inside a table cell), and that he made a minor mistake in
> the CSS so that the margin-bottom:0 got ignored.


That would be my first guess too.

My second guess would be that in this case the form does not appear inside
a table cell but elsewhere. Then it has both a top margin and a bottom
margin by default, as you can see if you view a page containing

foo<form action="zap">bar</form>foo

For some odd reason, popular browsers by default suppress the top margin
but not the bottom margin.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
Pages about Web authoring: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www.html


 
Reply With Quote
 
Karl Core
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-15-2005

"Scott_From_PA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks folks....
>
> I've got two back to back deadlines coming up (web site jobs) and I'm
> burning the candle on both ends.


If you don't know how to do simple things display a form inline, I recommend
passing on those website jobs to someone who knows WTF they're doing


--
Karl Core
Hell To Pay, Baltimore Hardcore: http://www.eightninethree.com


 
Reply With Quote
 
Scott_From_PA
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-15-2005
Thanks folks....

I've got two back to back deadlines coming up (web site jobs) and I'm
burning the candle on both ends.

I'll apply your suggestions and get back to you with a "Success" or
"Fail" replay as soon as I can.




 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: illegal line end in character literal in escaped unicode CARRIAGE RETURN / NEW LINE Andreas Leitgeb Java 0 05-15-2009 02:02 PM
function doesn't return simply skip the return line hirsh.dan@gmail.com C++ 4 07-22-2008 09:55 AM
what value does lack of return or empty "return;" return Greenhorn C Programming 15 03-06-2005 08:19 PM
Warehouse Dell dimension 3000 advert. This is a question so TNO doesn't have to download this message and read it to waste his time reading messages that I could have possibly got the answer .. (damn, run out of space in the subject line!) cowboyz NZ Computing 68 12-21-2004 02:19 PM
How to create carriage return or line feed or new line Dave Tichenor ASP .Net 3 02-17-2004 01:55 AM



Advertisments