Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > CSS + Firefox + Internet Explorer

CSS + Firefox + Internet Explorer

Thorben Grosser

Dear Newsgroup,

at the moment, I am doing a new website for an Open Air Cinema project.
As I am trying to improve, I tried to do as much as possible in CSS.

In Firefox, which became my first choice in browsing, the site looks
quite nice (I think so). But when testing it in MSIE, I was quite shocked.

Compare for yourself:
http://gosingen.dyndns.tv/cinevent/website/

Questions I have:

- In the menue, why is there that "transparent" looking thing on the left?
- On the left and right of the table, I ordered to stretch the borders
to a height of 100%. MSIE doesn't handle percent sizes? (well, now it
works as i set the bars as background)
- Why does the transparency at the borders fail? Does MSIE not support
transparent PNG images? Would I be better off with JPG or GIF? I began
to like PNG
- Why do you see the place, where the color gradient stops? In Firefox,
you dont?

btw: I checked with the W3C CSS checker, its allright, I checked with
HTML validator, allright too (well, except for missing ALT tags and the
background property of the <td>, i could work around this using CSS,
couldn't I)

so long
Thorben

Toby Inkster

Thorben Grosser wrote:

> - Why does the transparency at the borders fail? Does MSIE not support
> transparent PNG images?

It supports transparent 8-bit PNGs, but it doesn't fully support
alpha-blended 32-bit PNGs.

> I checked with HTML validator, allright too (well, except for missing
> ALT tags and the background property of the <td>,

Although not related to your problems, missing alt text is one of the MOST
IMPORTANT errors that the validator can discover.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Spartanicus

Toby Inkster <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Although not related to your problems, missing alt text is one of the MOST
>IMPORTANT errors that the validator can discover.

It can't, nor can it establish if the text is anything like appropriate,
it can however detect missing alt attributes.

--
Spartanicus

dorayme

> From: Thorben Grosser <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Newsgroups: alt.html
> Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 00:10:59 +0100
> Subject: CSS + Firefox + Internet Explorer
>
> Dear Newsgroup,

snip

> Does MSIE not support
> transparent PNG images? Would I be better off with JPG or GIF? I began
> to like PNG

snip

> so long
> Thorben

What do you like about png, Thorben? I am fairly familiar with it and my
computer is full of them because it is native to my old Fireworks software,
but I always convert to jpg or gif for web use... I know some folk *do* use
png for end result but I have often wondered why (I have simply assumed that
there is better support for gif and jpg and that jpg and gifs give best
file size value for needed quality. So, why would you use it for the web?)

dorayme

Thorben Grosser

dorayme wrote:

> What do you like about png, Thorben? I am fairly familiar with it and my
> computer is full of them because it is native to my old Fireworks software,
> but I always convert to jpg or gif for web use... I know some folk *do* use
> png for end result but I have often wondered why (I have simply assumed that
> there is better support for gif and jpg and that jpg and gifs give best
> file size value for needed quality. So, why would you use it for the web?)

well, my reasons were:

- i needed transparency (correct me if i am not on the actual height of
graphics), so JPG became obsolete (notice on the right of the page that
shadow). GIF and PNG left.

- AFAIR, GIF knows: Transparent and Not Transparent. As I am using
shadows, "a little transparent" and "a little less transparent" would
have be fitting my needs.

And on that, PNG does a good job. Furthermore, I was assuming that PNG
has the advantages of JPG (like compression) and the advantages of GIF
(like animation (well, kill the guy who invented it) and transparency).
If I am wrong, I'd greatly appreciate your advice

thanks a lot
Thorben

(oh yes, PNG has this open-source-feeling, but this has nothing to do
with reality)

dorayme

> From: Thorben Grosser <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Newsgroups: alt.html
> Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:42:42 +0100
> Subject: Re: CSS + Firefox + Internet Explorer
>
> dorayme wrote:
>
>> What do you like about png, Thorben? I am fairly familiar with it and my
>> computer is full of them because it is native to my old Fireworks software,
>> but I always convert to jpg or gif for web use... I know some folk *do* use
>> png for end result but I have often wondered why (I have simply assumed that
>> there is better support for gif and jpg and that jpg and gifs give best
>> file size value for needed quality. So, why would you use it for the web?)

> well, my reasons were:
>
> - i needed transparency (correct me if i am not on the actual height of
> graphics), so JPG became obsolete (notice on the right of the page that
> shadow). GIF and PNG left.
>
> - AFAIR, GIF knows: Transparent and Not Transparent. As I am using
> shadows, "a little transparent" and "a little less transparent" would
> have be fitting my needs.
>
> And on that, PNG does a good job. Furthermore, I was assuming that PNG
> has the advantages of JPG (like compression) and the advantages of GIF
> (like animation (well, kill the guy who invented it) and transparency).
> If I am wrong, I'd greatly appreciate your advice
>
> thanks a lot
> Thorben
>
> (oh yes, PNG has this open-source-feeling, but this has nothing to do
> with reality)

Well, I don't know? There are controls over gif to do with compression and
importantly, transparency (selecting colours to be transparent). Also, I
often use jpg because of its excellent compression scheme and tonal range
and implement psuedotransparency at times by the simple artifice of making
some of the colours match the background of the web page... Personally, I
feel more confident of better support for gif and jpg than png tho this
latter may have a few advantages... I guess it gets down to details: I'd
need to see the raw material, the png that appears on a web page and see why
it could not be done as well or quickly in gif or jpg. Interesting subject.
At least to me! Best wishes, Thorben...

dorayme