Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Borwser's OS ?

Borwser's OS ?

Mel

how can i find out the OS the browser is running on ?

thanks

Oli Filth

Mel wrote:
> how can i find out the OS the browser is running on ?

This was discussed on this newsgroup about a week ago. Search for "OS".

--
Oli

Steve Pugh

"Mel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>how can i find out the OS the browser is running on ?

Your browser? You should know already.

Your user's browser? It's often in the User Agent string and hence in
your log files, but even if it is there then it may not be accurate.

Why do you want to know?

Steve

Uncle Pirate

Mel wrote:

> how can i find out the OS the browser is running on ?
>
> thanks

Wild guess? The information is in the environment but useless because
it can be changed to whatever the user wants.

And why care? HTML is not OS specific.

Coordinator, Tularosa Basin Chapter, ABATE of NM; AMA#758681; COBB
'94 1500 Vulcan (now wrecked) http://motorcyclefun.org/Dcp_2068c.jpg

Richard

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 11:23:59 -0500 Mel wrote:

> how can i find out the OS the browser is running on ?

> thanks

With a PHP command.

Duende

While sitting in a puddle Richard scribbled in the mud:

> On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 11:23:59 -0500 Mel wrote:
>
>> how can i find out the OS the browser is running on ?

>> thanks

> With a PHP command.

Could you show an example of that on your batcave site?

--
D?

rf

"Duende" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> While sitting in a puddle Richard scribbled in the mud:

> > With a PHP command.

> Could you show an example of that on your batcave site?

That's nasty. You know how hard it is to steal PHP code!

Duende

While sitting in a puddle rf scribbled in the mud:

> "Duende" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>> While sitting in a puddle Richard scribbled in the mud:

>> > With a PHP command.

>> Could you show an example of that on your batcave site?

> That's nasty. You know how hard it is to steal PHP code!

Richard is a smart gentleman. He doesn't need to steal the code. He knows all
about php and how to make it work for him.

--
D?

rf

"Duende" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> While sitting in a puddle rf scribbled in the mud:
>
> > "Duende" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> >> While sitting in a puddle Richard scribbled in the mud:

> >> Could you show an example of that on your batcave site?

> > That's nasty. You know how hard it is to steal PHP code!

> Richard is a smart gentleman. He doesn't need to steal the code. He knows

all
> about php and how to make it work for him.

Ah, yes, well then when he publishes his solution we will undoubtedly
correct his intentional mistake and tell us that to get the OS one would
parse the superglobal variable entry

$_SERVER["HTTP_USER_AGENT"]

rather than use some so called PHP "command" which PHP has none of IRRC
unless RtS is confusing command with function.

Leif K-Brooks

rf wrote:
> PHP has none of IRRC unless RtS is confusing command with function.

Well, print (and a few others) are syntax instead of functions in PHP.
You could call them commands, I guess.