Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > iframe background

iframe background

Oli Filth

GuyBrush Treepwood wrote:
> But I think the original question still holds? What to do if I want to
> have a "transparent" background in this scrollable area?

See http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edg...iral/demo.html for an
effective explanantion for how to simulate transparency with regard to
background-images.

--
Oli

GuyBrush Treepwood

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 13:28:04 +0000, rf wrote:

> "GuyBrush Treepwood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>> On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 11:17:32 +0000, rf wrote:

>> Well, I meant an illusion of transparancy.

> OK. But it will break as soon as your viewer changes her font size.
>
> http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/temp/strings.jpg
>
> Notice how the strings no longer line up.
>
>> What do you mean by fixed size?

> The whole size of the site is fixed inside what looks to be a 600x400 box.
> It does not utilize my entire viewport. See above.
>
> See also http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign
>
>> The font

> Your font size seems fine. Haven't checked but it looks like you have
> specified 100% or nothing at all. In any case it is changable, even in IE
> which is good.
>
>> or the menu on the left?

> There is no "font size" for that menu as it is pictures of text. Large
> enough though. Readable and it fits in with the theme.
>
>> I really
>> need these kind of hints and help, I'm trying to learn by making this
>> site, so thanks in advance.

> OK then.
>
> Lose the frames and the iframe, they are a bloody nuisance Make each "page"
> a real single intividual HTML page.
>
> Google for "frames are evil".
>
> You will also avoid having an additional scroll bar on the viewport (one for
> the whole "page' and another for the iframe.
>
> Additionally, check the "page" in IE6. The frames have white borders, making
> the page look real crook.
>

> That said:
>
> I Really Like that background image.

Nice to hear.

I've read about CSS, <div> tags and indeed, it seems
better then frames, but I don't really see how to fit my lay-out in a
solution without tables and frames.
I guess this is just a habit of using tables over better solutions, but
can you give some links or hints?

rf

"GuyBrush Treepwood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> can you give some links or hints?

The page does not appear to be there anymore.

GuyBrush Treepwood

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 10:14:07 +0000, rf wrote:

Sorry, I took it offline. It's back online now:
http://users.skynet.be/am036990/new