Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > OT : But help really really needed re: Domain Name selling, hosting etc. problem

OT : But help really really needed re: Domain Name selling, hosting etc. problem

nc

Sorry its OT...

I am a bit of a newbie let me say first of all so apologies if this is a
stupid question.
I have a domain name www.pizzaspaghetti.com

A company is hosting a site there for me but they are not the registrar (I
think this is the correct name for the people u pay to keep extending rights
to the the domain name).
Anyway, I think that the company who was hosting has gone bust. How does
this affect me transferring hosting to someone else or selling the domain
name?

Thanks

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, nc ((E-Mail Removed)) feverishly
typed...

> Sorry its OT...

It's less OT than a lot that goes on in here!

> I have a domain name www.pizzaspaghetti.com

So you do...

> A company is hosting a site there for me but they are not the
> registrar (I think this is the correct name for the people u pay to
> keep extending rights to the the domain name).

Indeed. Registered through Melbourne and hosted by Portland.

> Anyway, I think that the company who was hosting has gone bust.

They don't appear to have done. Your pages are still up and Portland's web
site is up-and-running.

> How does this affect me transferring hosting to someone else or
> selling the domain name?

Shouldn't affect it at all. If your host goes bust, or starts annoying you,
or doesn't send a christmas card one year, you are free to up and leave
(contractual obligations aside) at any time. Just find another host, get an
account, upload your files, and change the nameservers through your
registrar. Shazam!

Of course this is all academic as your host still seems to be alive, but if
you have heard otherwise it may be an idea to start looking elsewhere!

Incidentally, this is a good example of one of the early lessons I learned -
to use seperate companies for your domain registration and your hosting, so
if one goes belly-up you still have easy access to either the domain name or
the hosted files.

> Thanks

Yer welcome. Can I have a free pizza?

Cheers,