Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Convert table based webpage to css based

Convert table based webpage to css based

John Dalberg

Is there a tool that can convert a table based web page into a CSS based
one, while keeping the layout?

--
John Dalberg

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

John Dalberg wrote:

> Is there a tool that can convert a table based web page into a CSS
> based one, while keeping the layout?

No. I don't know of any tools that can make a good, valid CSS layout,
much less convert something else.

Suggest you start afresh, with a good text editor. I like Crimson
Editor. http://crimsoneditor.com It's free, too.

--
-bts
-This space intentionally left blank.

Travis Newbury

John Dalberg wrote:
> Is there a tool that can convert a table based web page into a CSS

based
> one, while keeping the layout?

Yes, it is called "you". Yes I am being facicious.

--
-=tn=-

Richard

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 07:17:06 -0800 John Dalberg wrote:

> Is there a tool that can convert a table based web page into a CSS
> based
> one, while keeping the layout?

No problem with doing it yourself.
Each table cell is replaced with a "Division".
Is now replaced with <div>text</div>
Using styling, you tell the division how it's to be displayed and where.

background:white; border:1px solid blue; position:absoulute; top:50px;
left:50px; float:left;">

This creates a block 100 pixels high and wide, 50 pixels from the top left
corner of the window. It has a background color of white, with a solid blue
border of 1px width.
The float:left tells the division to be placed left of the next division,
text, or graphic.
And there are a few hundred other tricks to be played with as well.

You'll find plenty of good reading material about CSS divisions on the web.

Oli Filth

To the original poster, PLEASE don't listen to anything Richard says,
99.9% of the stuff he writes in this group is plain wrong or very bad
advice. Including what he's just written.

--
Oli

Richard

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 21:19:35 GMT Oli Filth wrote:

> To the original poster, PLEASE don't listen to anything Richard says,
> 99.9% of the stuff he writes in this group is plain wrong or very bad
> advice. Including what he's just written.

www.somestuff.batcave.net/box.html

I'll correct myself a little.
The reason for the float:left element was to show that it is part of the css
coding.
As the OP will learn, some things do not work as planned.

Oli Filth

Richard wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 21:19:35 GMT Oli Filth wrote:
>

>>To the original poster, PLEASE don't listen to anything Richard says,
>>99.9% of the stuff he writes in this group is plain wrong or very bad
>>advice. Including what he's just written.

> www.somestuff.batcave.net/box.html
>
> I'll correct myself a little.
> The reason for the float:left element was to show that it is part of the css
> coding.
> As the OP will learn, some things do not work as planned.

I wasn't talking about just that. Recommending the use of absolute
positioning for each DIV (that used to be TDs) is an appalling mis-use
of HTML and CSS. Using tables is better than that.

--
Oli

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Oli Filth" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:nwAMd.600$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Richard wrote:
> > On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 21:19:35 GMT Oli Filth wrote:
> >

> >>To the original poster, PLEASE don't listen to anything Richard says,
> >>99.9% of the stuff he writes in this group is plain wrong or very bad
> >>advice. Including what he's just written.

> > www.somestuff.batcave.net/box.html
> >
> > I'll correct myself a little.
> > The reason for the float:left element was to show that it is part of the

css
> > coding.
> > As the OP will learn, some things do not work as planned.
> >

> I wasn't talking about just that. Recommending the use of absolute
> positioning for each DIV (that used to be TDs) is an appalling mis-use
> of HTML and CSS. Using tables is better than that.

For the layout??!!

--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/de...di-catania.php

Oli Filth

Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
> "Oli Filth" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> news:nwAMd.600$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I wasn't talking about just that. Recommending the use of absolute
>>positioning for each DIV (that used to be TDs) is an appalling mis-use
>>of HTML and CSS. Using tables is better than that.

> For the layout??!!

IMHO, yes using absolute positioning to lay everything out would be a
pain in the arse. You'd need to give each element a unique ID, then
within the CSS you'd need a separate section for each of these IDs, and
you'd have to screw about guessing pixels/percentages until it worked.
Then as soon as you changed the content of an element it'd all go wrong
again. Not particularly flexible or easy to maintain (unless I'm missing
something here. Anyone care to fill me in? )

Plus it completely destroys the paradigm of fluid layouts that
automatically reflow as the browser window changes size.

At least with tables, this is all done automatically (to an extent).

--
Oli

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Oli Filth" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:NZAMd.630$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
> > "Oli Filth" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> > news:nwAMd.600$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>I wasn't talking about just that. Recommending the use of absolute
> >>positioning for each DIV (that used to be TDs) is an appalling mis-use
> >>of HTML and CSS. Using tables is better than that.

> > For the layout??!!
> >

> IMHO, yes using absolute positioning to lay everything out would be a
> pain in the arse. You'd need to give each element a unique ID, then
> within the CSS you'd need a separate section for each of these IDs, and
> you'd have to screw about guessing pixels/percentages until it worked.
> Then as soon as you changed the content of an element it'd all go wrong
> again. Not particularly flexible or easy to maintain (unless I'm missing
> something here. Anyone care to fill me in? )
>
> Plus it completely destroys the paradigm of fluid layouts that
> automatically reflow as the browser window changes size.
>
> At least with tables, this is all done automatically (to an extent).
>
> --
> Oli

May-be you are right about absolute positioning. But why should you want to
use it rather than
relative positioning?
I changed from frames to tables and from tables to CSS as much as it
concerns the layout ( in most cases)