Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > And now for my next trick!

And now for my next trick!

Richard

"Duende" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> While sitting in a puddle Richard scribbled in the mud:
>
> > Just as Tandy Corp. literally stole an original {BASIC} script of mine.

> How did they get it?

I was working on the program at a radio shack store when a salesman came in.
He must have seen the program running on the machine and took it.
As I said, my work showed up in the next months tandy magazine with but only
one minor change, the rest was clearly copied verbatim.
Not that what I was doing could not have been easily duplicated by others.
All I was doing was simply relocating the solid cursor block and replacing
the old one with a space character.
When the cursor position was greater than or less than the window size, I
changed direction.

Richard

"Toby Inkster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) .uk...
> Richard wrote:
>
> > Then ask Microsoft how they obtained Internet Explorer.
> > By theft.

> By licensing from Spryglass actually.

Only after a court battle.

rf

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

The famous scientist:
> var e=mc˛

His agent:
> var commission=mc˛ / 10

rf

"Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote

> I was working on the program at a radio shack store when a salesman came

in.
> He must have seen the program running on the machine and took it.

His store. His computer. His software. End of story.

Duende

While sitting in a puddle Richard scribbled in the mud:

> When the cursor position was greater than or less than the window size, I
> changed direction.

Interesting concept. Kinda cool really.

--
D?
http://wipkip.biz

Robert Morien

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote:

> Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat!

Wouldn't it be more interesting if you pulled a hat out of your rabbit?

> Just for kicks. I'll be adding on a little time script.
> So that every hour a different image appears.
> A bit much mayvbe, but what the hey, I do say it is an experimental gallery.
> I'll have it online tomorrow sometime.

Leif K-Brooks

rf wrote:
> "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote
>
>> I was working on the program at a radio shack store when a salesman
>> came in. He must have seen the program running on the machine and
>> took it.

> His store. His computer. His software. End of story.

And by the same standard, the owner of the cafe in which J.K. Rowling
wrote Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone can sue for copyright
infringement. His store. His table. His napkins. End of story.

rf

"Leif K-Brooks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> rf wrote:
> > "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote
> >
> >> I was working on the program at a radio shack store when a salesman
> >> came in. He must have seen the program running on the machine and
> >> took it.

> > His store. His computer. His software. End of story.

> And by the same standard, the owner of the cafe in which J.K. Rowling
> wrote Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone can sue for copyright
> infringement. His store. His table. His napkins. End of story.

Not necessarily.

It really depends why RtS was in their store using their computers.

If (&deity; forbid) he was an employee of said store then anything at all
the he produced using their computers, whilst in the employ of the store, is
copyright by the owner of the store. This is how businesses that employ
programmers work. You work in my store, you produce some software in my
store using my equipment, I own the copyright to that software.

On the other hand if RtS was not in the employ of the store then why was he
using their computer? If he had rented the use of the computer then yes, any
work he produced would be owned by him. IIRC though tandy don't rent their
storefront computers out to passersby.

If he did not rent the use of the computer then why was he using it? If he
just wandered by and started programming their computer then they would be
quite within their rights to eject him and to confiscate any work he might
have done. The fact that said work was fit to publish in (my &deity) a tandy
newsletter is immaterial. The work was done on equipment without the concent
of the owners of said equipment. All copyright matters are forfiet under,
probably, a civil matter of misuse of somebodys equipment.

I know something of these things. I have produced my own software (after
hours) whilst in the employ of somebody else, using their equipment. To
cover everybodys arse I had my distributor enter into an agreement with the
somebody else wherein they recieved, free of charge, unlimited copies of the
software for their own use. We signed an agreement on this. In effect I was
"renting" their equipment. Everybody was happy. I made quite a lot of money
out of that program.

It is nothing at all like sitting at a table in a cafe writing on a napkin.
When you buy a coffee you get a napkin with it. You effectively own the
napkin. If Ms Rowling were to sneak into the office and furiously type on
the shops computer then who knows

Then again IANAL. I contract otheres to sort out the fine details.

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, Richard (Anonymous@127.001) feverishly typed...

> Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat!

Maybe before you start running, you should try walking. In your thread
"Finally online as wanted" I replied to show that the page still does not
work without javascript but you have not replied, nor fixed your code. Why
do you insist on excluding users without javascript available, despite
having been shown suitable solutions to this? Why don't you fix that and
make your page functional before adding fairly useless "time scripts"?

Cheers,
Nige

--
Nigel Moss