Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Curiosity on hover tooltips

Curiosity on hover tooltips

Richard

First, please do not mention eric meyer's site.
I've seen it and his method does not work in IE.
What I'm looking at doing is a css style thing for when JS has been turned
off.
The sites I have seen either do not work in IE, are to complicated to
follow, or they make it dificult to find the css page.
One site I did see looked good, but it used a script.
All the other sites I saw just say stuff about using the span title trick.
Ok. I can live with that. But what I want to know is, how do you add a new
line to the title?
Or style it so that it shows in a specific block size even?
It should be doable.
I just need to see how it's done.
Which also works in IE.

Hywel Jenkins

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Anonymous@127.001 says...
> First, please do not mention eric meyer's site.
> I've seen it and his method does not work in IE.
> What I'm looking at doing is a css style thing for when JS has been turned
> off.
> The sites I have seen either do not work in IE, are to complicated to
> follow, or they make it dificult to find the css page.
> One site I did see looked good, but it used a script.
> All the other sites I saw just say stuff about using the span title trick.
> Ok. I can live with that. But what I want to know is, how do you add a new
> line to the title?
> Or style it so that it shows in a specific block size even?
> It should be doable.
> I just need to see how it's done.
> Which also works in IE.

Come on Bullis. You're the man* with all the answers - surely you can
do this?

*Used only to indicate "non-female".

--
Hywel http://kibo.org.uk/
I do not eat quiche.

JDS

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 11:59:50 -0600, Richard wrote:

> First, please do not mention eric meyer's site

eric meyer's site eric meyer's site eric meyer's site eric meyer's site
eric meyer's site eric meyer's site eric meyer's site

nyeah-hah!

--
JDS | http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
| http://www.newtnotes.com

Richard

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 13:50:31 -0500 JDS wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 11:59:50 -0600, Richard wrote:

>> First, please do not mention eric meyer's site

> eric meyer's site eric meyer's site eric meyer's site eric meyer's site
> eric meyer's site eric meyer's site eric meyer's site

> nyeah-hah!

A=2
Do While a>0
Slap the monkey
Bang head on wall
A=A+1

End

> --
> JDS | (E-Mail Removed)
> | http://www.newtnotes.com

Fat Sam

Hywel Jenkins wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Anonymous@127.001 says...
>> First, please do not mention eric meyer's site.
>> I've seen it and his method does not work in IE.
>> What I'm looking at doing is a css style thing for when JS has been
>> turned off.
>> The sites I have seen either do not work in IE, are to complicated to
>> follow, or they make it dificult to find the css page.
>> One site I did see looked good, but it used a script.
>> All the other sites I saw just say stuff about using the span title
>> trick. Ok. I can live with that. But what I want to know is, how do
>> you add a new line to the title?
>> Or style it so that it shows in a specific block size even?
>> It should be doable.
>> I just need to see how it's done.
>> Which also works in IE.

> Come on Bullis. You're the man* with all the answers - surely you can
> do this?
>
> *Used only to indicate "non-female".

LOL...He's a man in the same sense that a dinner-plate or a cinema-ticket is
a man......

Bernhard Sturm

Richard wrote:
> First, please do not mention eric meyer's site.

You started it. I never said anything about eric meyer's site. But you
are right we should not mention eric meyer's site. It's the EM word. shhh...

> I've seen it and his method does not work in IE.

Yeah. it's EM not IE.

> What I'm looking at doing is a css style thing for when JS has been turned
> off.

Are you heading in another direction now? Cured?

> The sites I have seen either do not work in IE, are to complicated to
> follow, or they make it dificult to find the css page.

You can't find the CSS? Last time I checked it was there.

> One site I did see looked good, but it used a script.

I saw this site as well. In was somewhere on the internets.

> All the other sites I saw just say stuff about using the span title trick.

So we have 1 site with a script and all the others use a span title
trick? Wait until my site goes online. It has both features!

> Ok. I can live with that. But what I want to know is, how do you add a new
> line to the title?

within the title? why not using <br /> for a while, and later on doing
something like <span style="display:block;"></span>. The later is the
richardised form of the former.

> Or style it so that it shows in a specific block size even?
> It should be doable.

I am afraid everything is doable.

> I just need to see how it's done.

me too..

> Which also works in IE.

don't worry.. IE will sooner or later disappear. As we all will

--
www.daszeichen.ch
remove nixspam to reply

Steve Pugh

"Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote:

>First, please do not mention eric meyer's site.
>I've seen it and his method does not work in IE.

If you're talking about this one:
http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/popups/demo.html
then it does work in IE.

The one thing that Eric Meyer doesn't mention is that unless you have
some properties in the a:hover {} styles then the a:hover span {}
styles which make the caption visible won't be applied in IE.

>What I'm looking at doing is a css style thing for when JS has been turned
>off.

See above. Remember that as IE only supports :hover for <a> elements
then those are the only elements you can add CSS 'tooltips' to.

>All the other sites I saw just say stuff about using the span title trick.
>Ok. I can live with that. But what I want to know is, how do you add a new
>line to the title?

title="first line
second line"

Works in some browsers.

>Or style it so that it shows in a specific block size even?

Not possible. The title tooltip is an Operating Stystem component and
hence out of a web page author's control.

>It should be doable.
>I just need to see how it's done.
>Which also works in IE.

a {position: relative;}
a:hover { color: #000; } /* some style needed here for IE */
a span {display: none;}
a:hover span {display: block; text-decoration: none; color: #000;
position: absolute; top: 0.5em; left: 1em; width: 6em;
padding: 0.25em; z-index: 100; border: 1px solid red; background:
yellow none; }

Works in IE, Opera and Gecko. Degradation in non-CSS browsers is a bit
messy but that cam be helped with some extra work. The captions
completely fail to appear in Netscape 4 (but so would titles).

Steve

Bernhard Sturm

Richard wrote:

> A=2
> Do While a>0
> Slap the monkey
> Bang head on wall
> A=A+1
>
> End

I wonder why you need any variable at all for this... the monkey will
never be slapped with your code.

--
www.daszeichen.ch
remove nixspam to reply

Bernhard Sturm

Steve Pugh wrote:

> Works in IE, Opera and Gecko. Degradation in non-CSS browsers is a bit
> messy but that cam be helped with some extra work. The captions
> completely fail to appear in Netscape 4 (but so would titles).
>
> Steve

Steve, you are a star. I never figuered out what richard wanted to ask.
You will get the NG award

bernhard

--
www.daszeichen.ch
remove nixspam to reply

Hywel Jenkins

In article <41f7f250$1_1@127.0.0.1>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> Richard wrote:
> >

> > A=2
> > Do While a>0
> > Slap the monkey
> > Bang head on wall
> > A=A+1
> >
> > End

> I wonder why you need any variable at all for this... the monkey will
> never be slapped with your code.

Depends on the language. I imagine it's BASIC (this is Bullis we're
talking about), so if it compiles, it'll slap the monkey, and bang its
head on the wall. It would only do it once before finishing, though,
and it looks as though the "End" statement is redundant. I guess RtS is
a Microsoft developer - all the extra bloat (Do, increment, End) gives
it away.

OTOH, if it's a strongly-typed language, the variable "a" could have any
value under the sun since it hasn't been declared or initialised.

--
Hywel http://kibo.org.uk/
I do not eat quiche.