Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > A bad example you want?

A bad example you want?

Richard

http://milonic.com/download.php?sampleid=6

Move over "dhtml menu" then pick the second item.
The list is so long it needs a scrollbar no less.

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, Richard (Anonymous@127.001) feverishly typed...

> http://milonic.com/download.php?sampleid=6
>
> Move over "dhtml menu" then pick the second item.
> The list is so long it needs a scrollbar no less.

But only if the menu won't fit into the available viewport:
http://www.nigenet.org.uk/stuff/images/dhtmlmenu.jpg [39K Jpeg] shows the
whole menu on one screen, no scroll bar.

Cheers,
Nige

--
Nigel Moss
http://www.nigenet.org.uk

Richard

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 10:28:43 -0600 Richard wrote:

> http://milonic.com/download.php?sampleid=6

> Move over "dhtml menu" then pick the second item.
> The list is so long it needs a scrollbar no less.

Can we say BADDDDDDDD! to this one?
http://w3.discoveryvip.com/

Blinking text all over the page.

Bernhard Sturm

Richard wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 10:28:43 -0600 Richard wrote:
>

>>http://milonic.com/download.php?sampleid=6

>>Move over "dhtml menu" then pick the second item.
>>The list is so long it needs a scrollbar no less.

> Can we say BADDDDDDDD! to this one?
> http://w3.discoveryvip.com/

yes we can.

--
www.daszeichen.ch
remove nixspam to reply

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, Richard (Anonymous@127.001) feverishly typed...

> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 10:28:43 -0600 Richard wrote:
>
>> http://milonic.com/download.php?sampleid=6

>> Move over "dhtml menu" then pick the second item.
>> The list is so long it needs a scrollbar no less.

> Can we say BADDDDDDDD! to this one?
> http://w3.discoveryvip.com/
>
> Blinking text all over the page.

I wondered what you were on about until I looked at it in Firefox... Urgh!

Probably the first time this has been said on this NG, but "Thank god for
IE!"

Cheers,
Nige

--
Nigel Moss
http://www.nigenet.org.uk

Pete Gray

says...
> While the city slept, Richard (Anonymous@127.001) feverishly typed...
>
> > Can we say BADDDDDDDD! to this one?
> > http://w3.discoveryvip.com/
> >
> > Blinking text all over the page.

> I wondered what you were on about until I looked at it in Firefox... Urgh!
>
> Probably the first time this has been said on this NG, but "Thank god for
> IE!"
>
> Cheers,
> Nige

Have you tried it without images? Impressive alt text for all those
spacer.gifs.

--
Pete Gray

Say No to ID Cards <http://www.no2id.net>
<http://www.redbadge.co.uk/no2idcards/>

Fat Sam

Richard wrote:
> http://milonic.com/download.php?sampleid=6
>
> Move over "dhtml menu" then pick the second item.
> The list is so long it needs a scrollbar no less.

And how is this worse than that abomination you dare to call a website?.....

--
Sam.
www.fixaphoto.co.uk

Richard

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 15:28:00 -0500 ghoul wrote:

> Richard wrote:

>> http://milonic.com/download.php?sampleid=6

>> Move over "dhtml menu" then pick the second item.
>> The list is so long it needs a scrollbar no less.

> its bad to take advice from a pervert

Are you trying to tell these good people here something they haven't known
for well over a year or more?
Problem is, you will get no audience here either.

(Pete Cresswell)

Per Richard:
>http://milonic.com/download.php?sampleid=6
>
>Move over "dhtml menu" then pick the second item.
>The list is so long it needs a scrollbar no less.

Speaking as a clueless noob that's been looking for a heirarchical menu
structure to use, somebody tell me what's so bad about that example?

Granted it's going nowhere without JavaScript enabled on the user's PC, but
other than that it seems like it offers much or all of what I'm looking for:
namely a way to present very long lists of choices.

Seems like the automagic scrollbars that only appear when there isn't enough
window space are pretty slick too.
--
PeteCresswell

Travis Newbury

Richard wrote:
> http://milonic.com/download.php?sampleid=6
> Move over "dhtml menu" then pick the second item.
> The list is so long it needs a scrollbar no less.

You know, I know why everyone here thinks this is a bad site. But I
don't, and here is why. It works just fine on my default browser
(firefox). That means it works on the vast majority of the browsers out
there surfing. Since it works fine, I get to admire the look and feel
of the menu. It is actually a nice looking menu that is interesting to
open. It was quite obvious how to use it, and the scroll bar in the
menu was handled expertly with that little roller on my mouse.

I have no issues with this menu. I understand it makes the site useless
to many, probably a pain for the robots (if they can navigate at all)
But for anyone that can see it, it is a fine menu. I completely
understand why some hate it, but it was easy for me to navigate, gave me
information and worked flawlessly on my computer, on my default browser.
I would probably not suggest it to a client if I built web sites.

YMMV

--
-=tn=-