Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > some positioning help please

some positioning help please

Steve Greenaway

http://www.engsoc.org/~macfisto/test/index2.html
http://www.engsoc.org/~macfisto/test/position.css

I'm trying to adapt a 3-column css layout to fit my own purposes. The
original design came from:
http://www.thenoodleincident.com/tut...on/basic4.html

As you can see, my work seems to have gone horribly wrong. I can't
figure out why my #main_content div doesn't fit in between the two side
column divs the same way as the #middle div does in the example.

Additionally, I'm trying to put a footer below the lowest of the 3
columns. Can I position the footer relative to the container div that
I wrapped around those 3 columns?

--
- Steve
"I think a good friend would recommend CLR to all his friends."

Richard

On 22 Jan 2005 20:44:12 GMT Steve Greenaway wrote:

> http://www.engsoc.org/~macfisto/test/index2.html
> http://www.engsoc.org/~macfisto/test/position.css

> I'm trying to adapt a 3-column css layout to fit my own purposes. The
> original design came from:
> http://www.thenoodleincident.com/tut...on/basic4.html

> As you can see, my work seems to have gone horribly wrong. I can't
> figure out why my #main_content div doesn't fit in between the two side
> column divs the same way as the #middle div does in the example.

> Additionally, I'm trying to put a footer below the lowest of the 3
> columns. Can I position the footer relative to the container div that
> I wrapped around those 3 columns?

To make divisions appear side by side, you must use "float". I don't see a
one anywhere.
You also use position:absolute twice with the same precise points.
Use absolute only if ABSOLUTELY necessary.
In your design, I don't see why you need it.

Toby Inkster

Richard wrote:

> To make divisions appear side by side, you must use "float".

^^^^
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...d?dmode=source

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Now Playing ~ ./ben_folds/sunny_16/01_theres_always_someone_cooler_than_you.ogg

Toby Inkster

Steve Greenaway wrote:

> http://www.engsoc.org/~macfisto/test/index2.html
>
> As you can see, my work seems to have gone horribly wrong. I can't
> figure out why my #main_content div doesn't fit in between the two side
> column divs the same way as the #middle div does in the example.

Your margin is set like so:

margin: 205px 0px 205px 0px;

That means 205px top and bottom, 0px left and right. You want it the other
way around:

margin: 0 205px;

Although this seems to work even better:

margin: 15px 205px;

Your footer may never work as intended -- it's a weakness of layouts based
on absolute positioning -- you never really know the heights of all the
columns.

Try putting the footer *inside* your #main_content.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Now Playing ~ ./matchbox_twenty/mad_season_by_matchbox_twenty/02_black_and_white_people.ogg

Steve Greenaway

Kermit the Frog stuck a mic in Toby's face, who said:

>Your margin is set like so:

> margin: 205px 0px 205px 0px;

>That means 205px top and bottom, 0px left and right. You want it the other
>way around:

> margin: 0 205px;

Oops. Dunno how I messed that up.

>Although this seems to work even better:

> margin: 15px 205px;

Does it make any real difference to the content if I use 0 margins and just
use padding instead?

>Your footer may never work as intended -- it's a weakness of layouts based
>on absolute positioning -- you never really know the heights of all the
>columns.

>Try putting the footer *inside* your #main_content.

This explains why I can never find an example 3-column layout with a
header and a footer... One concern is that the #main_content won't
necessarily be the longest column, it could change during updates. Also,
if I put the footer in the #main_content, won't it only be the width of
that particular column?

I guess wrapping all 3 columns in an absolutely-positioned wrapper won't
help either eh.

I'll keep playing. Thanks.

--

Kermit the Frog stuck a mic in Steve's face, who said:

>I'll keep playing. Thanks.

Following up to myself. Tacky.
I think another thing I did wrong was mix up the right/wrong numbers
in the IE5 hack. It all looked so simple in the examples!
The latest is at http://www.engsoc.org/~macfisto/test/test.html if
anybody cares.