Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > for those that like to prove that IE is a mistake....

for those that like to prove that IE is a mistake....

WindAndWaves

Hi Gurus

Please have a look at the following page:

www.friars.co.nz/2005/H/dai.php

if you compare the two between Firefox and IE then you will find that in IE the activities and links moves all the way to the left.

I have no idea why that is.... having looked at for quite some time and validated both the stylesheet and the page itself, I am
still left wondering...

Is there anyone out there that can prove that I am right and IE is wrong (or vice versa of course - which will be more likely).

TIA

- Nicolaas

Noozer

"WindAndWaves" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:X%CHd.9586$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Gurus
>
> Please have a look at the following page:
>
> www.friars.co.nz/2005/H/dai.php

I don't know what you used to code that page but the source looks like a
festering gob of crap! Go back to FrontPage!

Richard

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 13:30:08 +1300 WindAndWaves wrote:

> Hi Gurus

> Please have a look at the following page:

> www.friars.co.nz/2005/H/dai.php

> if you compare the two between Firefox and IE then you will find that
> in IE the activities and links moves all the way to the left.

> I have no idea why that is.... having looked at for quite some time and
> validated both the stylesheet and the page itself, I am
> still left wondering...

> Is there anyone out there that can prove that I am right and IE is
> wrong (or vice versa of course - which will be more likely).

> TIA

> - Nicolaas

IE6 shows the same thing firefox does.
Maybe IE shows a dotted vertical line instead of a solid one, but other than
that, no noticable differences.

Leif K-Brooks

Noozer wrote:
> I don't know what you used to code that page but the source looks like a
> festering gob of crap! Go back to FrontPage!

"There are some things wrong with your page, but I'm not going to
explain what and provide advice on correcting it. Instead, I will yell
at you without giving the slightest bit of help -- even a simple pointer
to the HTML validator. I do not actually want to help make your page
better; I simply want to be mean pointlessly."

Noozer

> IE6 shows the same thing firefox does.
> Maybe IE shows a dotted vertical line instead of a solid one, but other

than
> that, no noticable differences.

I had to look for it, but, near the bottom of the page there is an unordered
list where the bullets get cut off on the left side in IE.

Noozer

"Leif K-Brooks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Noozer wrote:
> > I don't know what you used to code that page but the source looks like a
> > festering gob of crap! Go back to FrontPage!

> "There are some things wrong with your page, but I'm not going to
> explain what and provide advice on correcting it. Instead, I will yell
> at you without giving the slightest bit of help -- even a simple pointer
> to the HTML validator. I do not actually want to help make your page
> better; I simply want to be mean pointlessly."

Pretty much.

Considering the quality of the question and quality of the code he's pretty
much asking permission to poke someone in the eye.

Did you even try and read his source code? Do you even understand what he
was asking about?

Andy Dingley

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 02:40:11 GMT, "Noozer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I don't know what you used to code that page but the source looks like a
>festering gob of crap! Go back to FrontPage!

It's spewed out of the back-end of PHP. I'm sure it looked better in
the original source.

(Get your layout working right as static HTML before you start doing
the dynamic stuff as well)

Richard

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 22:24:34 -0500 Leif K-Brooks wrote:

> Noozer wrote:
>> I don't know what you used to code that page but the source looks like
>> festering gob of crap! Go back to FrontPage!

> "There are some things wrong with your page, but I'm not going to
> explain what and provide advice on correcting it. Instead, I will yell
> at you without giving the slightest bit of help -- even a simple
> pointer
> to the HTML validator. I do not actually want to help make your page
> better; I simply want to be mean pointlessly."

You forgot [sic].

WindAndWaves

"Noozer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:mWGHd.128286$8l.79987@pd7tw1no...

> > IE6 shows the same thing firefox does.
> > Maybe IE shows a dotted vertical line instead of a solid one, but other

> than
> > that, no noticable differences.
> >

> I had to look for it, but, near the bottom of the page there is an unordered
> list where the bullets get cut off on the left side in IE.

That is the one I am talking about.... Thank you for noticing it. I am sorry that my question was a little unclear.

As a validator I use, tada, validator.w3.org.

The page does not contain any php except a few little tricks.

I am sorry that the source code is on one line. If you throw it into your editor then I am sure it will format it for you...mine
does not, but then again, I am using MS stuff, dreamweaver certainly will.

Anyway, it is just a little question, about the unordered bullets moving to the left and why that it.

Thank you for your comments thus far.

- Nicolaas

Steve Pugh

"WindAndWaves" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>www.friars.co.nz/2005/H/dai.php
>
>if you compare the two between Firefox and IE then you will find that in IE the activities and links moves all the way to the left.
>
>I have no idea why that is.... having looked at for quite some time and validated both the stylesheet and the page itself, I am
>still left wondering...
>
>Is there anyone out there that can prove that I am right and IE is wrong (or vice versa of course - which will be more likely).

In your CSS you have:
UL { list-style-type: disc; margin-top: 0.2em; margin-bottom: 0.2em; }
LI { margin-left: 0px; margin-bottom: 0.2em; }

Some browsers create the indent on a <ul> by giving a default
margin-left to the <ul>, others create the indent by giving a default
padding-left to the <ul> and/or a default margin-left to the <li>.

By setting the margin-left of the <li> but not the margin-left or
padding-left of the <ul> you change the appearance of the second group
of browsers but not the first.

So that's why IE and FF differ. Why does IE screw up one list and not
the other? Don't know. Opera which uses the same model for <ul>
indents as IE moves them both over to the left so that the bullets are
half hidden.

When playing with list indents it's important to set margin-left and
padding-left for both <ul> and <li>.
http://steve.pugh.net/test/test37.html is a bit out of date but may be
useful.

Steve