Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > validation problem

Reply
Thread Tools

validation problem

 
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-19-2005
Checking my latest playtoy for errors I run across these two gems I can't
figure out.

1) "div" not allowed here.
2) "A" not allowed here.

www.somestuff.batcave.net/expandmenu2.htm

Since that was put up, I have cleaned up a few items.
Put the script in an external file so any errors on that part should be
ignored.

Don't flame me for the script bugs. I did not write it as clearly stated in
the comments.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
CarolW.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-19-2005
On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 22:52:25 -0600, "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001>
wrote:

>Checking my latest playtoy for errors I run across these two gems I can't
>figure out.
>
>1) "div" not allowed here.


"The mentioned element is not allowed to appear in the context in
which you've placed it; the other mentioned elements are the only ones
that are both allowed there and can contain the element mentioned.
This might mean that you need a containing element, or possibly that
you've forgotten to close a previous element.

One possible cause for this message is that you have attempted to put
a block-level element (such as "<p>" or "<table>") inside an inline
element (such as "<a>", "<span>", or "<font>"). "

Did you try to plate it in with a block level element? Looks to me, in
a quick glance at the source shared along with the validation, that
you did.

>2) "A" not allowed here.


"The element named above was found in a context where it is not
allowed. This could mean that you have incorrectly nested elements --
such as a "style" element in the "body" section instead of inside
"head" -- or two elements that overlap (which is not allowed).

One common cause for this error is the use of XHTML syntax in HTML
documents. Due to HTML's rules of implicitly closed elements, this
error can create cascading effects. For instance, using XHTML's
"self-closing" tags for "meta" and "link" in the "head" section of a
HTML document may cause the parser to infer the end of the "head"
section and the beginning of the "body" section (where "link" and
"meta" are not allowed; hence the reported error). "

I would say this is due to the prior error and thus bringing up an
error flag for -some- of the following lines.

Carol


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Hywel Jenkins
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-19-2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Anonymous@127.001 says...
> Checking my latest playtoy for errors I run across these two gems I can't
> figure out.
>
> 1) "div" not allowed here.
> 2) "A" not allowed here.
>
> www.somestuff.batcave.net/expandmenu2.htm
>
> Since that was put up, I have cleaned up a few items.
> Put the script in an external file so any errors on that part should be
> ignored.


You've got <div> within <a>. You've got nested <a>.

Simply looking at at the code would have shown you this:
http://tinyurl.com/4a6fm

--
Hywel http://kibo.org.uk/
I do not eat quiche.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-19-2005
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 06:58:18 -0000 Hywel Jenkins wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Anonymous@127.001 says...
>> Checking my latest playtoy for errors I run across these two gems I
>> can't
>> figure out.


>> 1) "div" not allowed here.
>> 2) "A" not allowed here.


>> www.somestuff.batcave.net/expandmenu2.htm


>> Since that was put up, I have cleaned up a few items.
>> Put the script in an external file so any errors on that part should
>> be
>> ignored.


> You've got <div> within <a>. You've got nested <a>.


> Simply looking at at the code would have shown you this:
> http://tinyurl.com/4a6fm



Sheeeeesh. Like I never dreamed of trying to run it through the validator?
Duhhhhhh, hey dufus? What was the subject line?


 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-19-2005
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 06:36:34 GMT CarolW. wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 22:52:25 -0600, "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001>
> wrote:


>>Checking my latest playtoy for errors I run across these two gems I
>>can't
>>figure out.


>>1) "div" not allowed here.


> "The mentioned element is not allowed to appear in the context in
> which you've placed it; the other mentioned elements are the only ones
> that are both allowed there and can contain the element mentioned.
> This might mean that you need a containing element, or possibly that
> you've forgotten to close a previous element.


> One possible cause for this message is that you have attempted to put
> a block-level element (such as "<p>" or "<table>") inside an inline
> element (such as "<a>", "<span>", or "<font>"). "


> Did you try to plate it in with a block level element? Looks to me, in
> a quick glance at the source shared along with the validation, that
> you did.


>>2) "A" not allowed here.


> "The element named above was found in a context where it is not
> allowed. This could mean that you have incorrectly nested elements --
> such as a "style" element in the "body" section instead of inside
> "head" -- or two elements that overlap (which is not allowed).


> One common cause for this error is the use of XHTML syntax in HTML
> documents. Due to HTML's rules of implicitly closed elements, this
> error can create cascading effects. For instance, using XHTML's
> "self-closing" tags for "meta" and "link" in the "head" section of a
> HTML document may cause the parser to infer the end of the "head"
> section and the beginning of the "body" section (where "link" and
> "meta" are not allowed; hence the reported error). "


> I would say this is due to the prior error and thus bringing up an
> error flag for -some- of the following lines.


> Carol



Thank you very much. I noticed I had not ended one anchor tag properly.
Closed it, no more errors with that part.
That may explain why the one scroll bar refused to behave properly.


 
Reply With Quote
 
hyweljenkins@hotmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-19-2005

Richard wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 06:58:18 -0000 Hywel Jenkins wrote:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Anonymous@127.001

says...
> >> Checking my latest playtoy for errors I run across these two gems

I
> >> can't
> >> figure out.

>
> >> 1) "div" not allowed here.
> >> 2) "A" not allowed here.

>
> >> www.somestuff.batcave.net/expandmenu2.htm

>
> >> Since that was put up, I have cleaned up a few items.
> >> Put the script in an external file so any errors on that part

should
> >> be
> >> ignored.

>
> > You've got <div> within <a>. You've got nested <a>.

>
> > Simply looking at at the code would have shown you this:
> > http://tinyurl.com/4a6fm

>
>
> Sheeeeesh. Like I never dreamed of trying to run it through the

validator?

You mean the validator that specifically pointed out your idiot coding
errors?


> Duhhhhhh, hey dufus?


Are you talking to the mirror again?


> What was the subject line?


Erm, "Richard is a ****wit"?

You really are a thick ****. If you tested it against the validator
why couldn't you figure out the fix? Oh yes, you're Richard the
Stupid. I've even told you where the errors in your code are. Oh yes,
you're Richard the Stupid. Well, I told you about two of them - you
can figure the other 20ish out yourself - find some code to steal.

Here's another couple of clues
remove the <div> from with in the <a>
un-nest the <a> elements

Even when people try to help you you're a sarcastic prick. Oh yes,
you're Richard the Stupid. For someone so unbelievably retarded you
amuse me. Two things would happen if you had a brain cell: first you'd
be arrested for theft; second - it would die of loneliness.

--
Hywel

 
Reply With Quote
 
Steve Pugh
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-19-2005
"Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote:

>www.somestuff.batcave.net/expandmenu2.htm


Overlapping text. Nice.

Steve

 
Reply With Quote
 
Big Bill
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-19-2005
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 06:36:34 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (CarolW.) wrote:

>On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 22:52:25 -0600, "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001>
>wrote:
>
>>Checking my latest playtoy for errors I run across these two gems I can't
>>figure out.
>>
>>1) "div" not allowed here.

>
>"The mentioned element is not allowed to appear in the context in
>which you've placed it; the other mentioned elements are the only ones
>that are both allowed there and can contain the element mentioned.
>This might mean that you need a containing element, or possibly that
>you've forgotten to close a previous element.
>
>One possible cause for this message is that you have attempted to put
>a block-level element (such as "<p>" or "<table>") inside an inline
>element (such as "<a>", "<span>", or "<font>"). "
>
>Did you try to plate it in with a block level element? Looks to me, in
>a quick glance at the source shared along with the validation, that
>you did.
>
>>2) "A" not allowed here.

>
>"The element named above was found in a context where it is not
>allowed. This could mean that you have incorrectly nested elements --
>such as a "style" element in the "body" section instead of inside
>"head" -- or two elements that overlap (which is not allowed).
>
>One common cause for this error is the use of XHTML syntax in HTML
>documents. Due to HTML's rules of implicitly closed elements, this
>error can create cascading effects. For instance, using XHTML's
>"self-closing" tags for "meta" and "link" in the "head" section of a
>HTML document may cause the parser to infer the end of the "head"
>section and the beginning of the "body" section (where "link" and
>"meta" are not allowed; hence the reported error). "
>
>I would say this is due to the prior error and thus bringing up an
>error flag for -some- of the following lines.
>
>Carol


Hey CW, you two-timing us?

BB

--
www.kruse.co.uk (E-Mail Removed)
home of SEO that's shiny!
--
 
Reply With Quote
 
CarolW.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-19-2005
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 09:49:53 GMT, Big Bill <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 06:36:34 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (CarolW.) wrote:
>


>Hey CW, you two-timing us?


.... innocently asks the man with his hand caught in the cookie jar
too?

Carol

 
Reply With Quote
 
Beauregard T. Shagnasty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-19-2005
Steve Pugh wrote:
> "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote:
>
>> www.somestuff.batcave.net/expandmenu2.htm

>
> Overlapping text. Nice.


Text? You see text? All I see is a completely blank[*] page with a
grey area down the left side of the viewport. And the rest is my
default background color: aqua.

* Well, almost blank. It does say
"Free Hosting - yourname.batcave.net" in the top center.

--
-bts
-This space intentionally left blank.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Form Validation Problem...Persisiting form fields on validation failure. bnp Javascript 4 05-12-2004 12:16 PM
ASP.NET Web Forms Validation Controls are Server-Side or Client-Side Validation? Matt ASP .Net 14 01-30-2004 09:15 AM
Web form validation vs object validation Colin Basterfield ASP .Net 1 11-29-2003 12:10 AM
validation summary doesnt display when there's client-side validation Libs ASP .Net 0 06-25-2003 03:05 PM
Re: only custom validation control does server side validation? Colin Mackay ASP .Net 0 06-25-2003 07:54 AM



Advertisments