Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Object ID embed and validation??

Object ID embed and validation??

Leif K-Brooks

Toby Inkster wrote:
> Leif K-Brooks wrote:
>
>>Using CSS for specifying an image's height and width instead of the
>>HTML height and width attributes?

> Presentational crap best handled by CSS.

Unless you're trying to resize the image with HTML -- and that's a bad
idea anyway -- the width and height attributes aren't presentational.
They're specifying intrinsic data about the image's content, just like
the src attribute does.

Christopher Richards

"Jim Roberts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns95E213494D4B846karU4EtHapruK@130.133.1.4.. .
> "Christopher Richards" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote in news:CG%Gd.12704$(E-Mail Removed) m:
>
>> Is it possible to correctly validate an xhtml page with the object ID
>> and embed necessary to implant a windows media player in an html page?
>> Here is the code suggested by http://www.streamalot.com/embed.shtml.
>> This validator http://validator.w3.org/file-upload.html doesn't like
>> it at all.
>>

> Some of the attributes, such as "align" and "pluginspage" aren't valid
> attributes. About the best I could do using xhtml is the following:

> classid="CLSID:22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95"
> codebase="http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/mplayer/en/nsmp2
> inf.cab#Version=5,1,52,701"
> standby="Loading Microsoft Windows Media Player components..."
> type="application/x-oleobject" >
> <param name="FileName" value="Server/file" />
> <param name="ShowStatusBar" value="true" />
> <param name="DefaultFrame" value="mainFrame" />
> <!-- For other browsers * Windows Media Player -->
> <!--[if !IE]> <-->
> <object width="180" height="200" type="application/x-mplayer2">
> <param name="FileName" value="Server/file" />
> <param name="ShowStatusBar" value="true" />
> <param name="DefaultFrame" value="mainFrame" />
> </object>
> <!--> <![endif]-->
> </object></p>
>
> It works for IE and Gecko based browsers and does validate as xhtml
> strict. Not sure about others, but I don't think Opera supports the
> object element. There's probably a better method. You
> might consider using an html doctype.
>
> --
> regards,
> Jim Roberts

Jim, I'd like to follow up on your suggestion of using an html doctype. Do
you have a link to where I can read more?

Jim Roberts

wrote in news:3MjHd.12967$(E-Mail Removed) om:

> Jim, I'd like to follow up on your suggestion of using an html
> doctype. Do you have a link to where I can read more?

It seems I misspoke. Apparently, the embed element is not valid with any
document type.

> Note: The <embed> element is supported by both Internet Explorer and
> Netscape, but it is not a standard HTML or XHTML element.
> The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) recommend using the <object>
> element instead.
> http://www.w3schools.com/media/media_browservideos.asp

If you want your code to validate, you won't be able to use <embed>.
--
regards,
Jim Roberts

Jim Roberts

Jim Roberts <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

For more information on doctypes, refer to this:
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/doctype/

--
regards,
Jim Roberts

Toby Inkster

Leif K-Brooks wrote:

> They're specifying intrinsic data about the image's content, just like
> the src attribute does.

What about with vector graphics?

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Leif K-Brooks

Toby Inkster wrote:
> Leif K-Brooks wrote:
>

>> [The width and height attributes of an image] specifying intrinsic
>> data about the image's content, just like the src attribute does.

> What about with vector graphics?

It's a tough question, but I would lean towards calling size
specifications content even with vector. Most vector formats specify a
default size, just like raster graphics do; the HTML document is just
saying that "the vector graphic I'm referring to here has size X and
height Y; I'm simply duplicating that same information here for
efficiency's sake." It's kind of similar to how <a href="sample.css">a
stylesheet that makes things red</a> is content, even though it talks
about the presentation of another document.