Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Newsreaders ... very off topic

Newsreaders ... very off topic

Al Jones

But since I see I'm putting duplicate messages into the system maybe some
help is in order.

I have three news services that I use, 2 free and 1 paid. Not all, for
some reason, get all the messages in the newgroups I inhabit <oddly>.
Since I don't want to be putting duplicate message out I've been looking
at newreaderes.

Opera - my normal browser <and the offending culprit apparently> allows me
to select which newsgroups from which server - and then somehow 'keeps
track' of which messages that I've read on the other serrver. This bugs
me - not because it's not appreciated, but, not knowing 'how it knows'
makes me wonder why it's doing it and if that's part of the reason for the
duplication.

Thunderbird - looks promising - but everytime I go to help it takes me to
a 404 - not helpful.

NewRover - looks interesting - allows me to set up what it calls 'interest
groups' and then allows me to set up the various servers to feed the
interest group so that all the various messages appear together in the
'group'.

Agent - I've used it before, but IMO since it seems to be aimed more at
the binaries than text NG I've put it on the back burner.

To make this as short as possible, I want the ablility to:
send out just one post (sheesh!)
see all messages from a NG together - similar to the way Rover does it.
filter incoming messages - so I can not be bothered with the XXX spam.

What are the rest of you all using and pros and cons -

<<troll - god, I hope not!>>

Duende

While sitting in a puddle Al Jones scribbled in the mud:

> What are the rest of you all using and pros and cons -

Xnews all pros, no cons

--
D?
http://wipkip.biz just to raise my PR

King of Red Lions

> What are the rest of you all using and pros and cons -

Using Thunderbird 1.0 with the 'quote colours' extension - very simple
and very useful.

kchayka

Al Jones wrote:

> What are the rest of you all using and pros and cons -

FWIW, I've been using mozilla (nightly builds) for a few years now, but
recently went through the search for a new newsreader myself. I tried
XNews, Agent (free version), 40tude, XanaNews and maybe a couple others,
I don't remember.

The only one I gave serious consideration to was XanaNews, and only
because it has better keyboard navigation than the others. I rarely use
a mouse, so this is very important to me. XanaNews lacks some features I
want, though, so I gave up on it, too.

So while moz isn't perfect, I haven't found anything better.

saz

In article <opskpqu9b0xhg4go@aljones>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> But since I see I'm putting duplicate messages into the system maybe some
> help is in order.
>
> I have three news services that I use, 2 free and 1 paid. Not all, for
> some reason, get all the messages in the newgroups I inhabit <oddly>.
> Since I don't want to be putting duplicate message out I've been looking
> at newreaderes.
>
> Opera - my normal browser <and the offending culprit apparently> allows me
> to select which newsgroups from which server - and then somehow 'keeps
> track' of which messages that I've read on the other serrver. This bugs
> me - not because it's not appreciated, but, not knowing 'how it knows'
> makes me wonder why it's doing it and if that's part of the reason for the
> duplication.
>
> Thunderbird - looks promising - but everytime I go to help it takes me to
> a 404 - not helpful.
>
> NewRover - looks interesting - allows me to set up what it calls 'interest
> groups' and then allows me to set up the various servers to feed the
> interest group so that all the various messages appear together in the
> 'group'.
>
> Agent - I've used it before, but IMO since it seems to be aimed more at
> the binaries than text NG I've put it on the back burner.
>
> To make this as short as possible, I want the ablility to:
> send out just one post (sheesh!)
> see all messages from a NG together - similar to the way Rover does it.
> filter incoming messages - so I can not be bothered with the XXX spam.
>
> What are the rest of you all using and pros and cons -
>
> <<troll - god, I hope not!>>

IMO, Microplanet Gravity is the best.

kchayka

saz wrote:

> IMO, Microplanet Gravity is the best.

It's no longer in development, is it?

saz

> saz wrote:
> >
> > IMO, Microplanet Gravity is the best.

> It's no longer in development, is it?

It went open-source. It's now available at sourceforge. I still use the
older version - 2.5. It has everything I need.

Blinky the Shark

Al Jones wrote:

> What are the rest of you all using and pros and cons -

For Windows, I used and recommended Xnews for years (and still have it
on a slow old laptop I seldome use). Within the last few months, some
of the regs in here have discovered it, as well, and seem to have become
at home and competent with it. It's small, fast, and featured. It
doesn't even need an involved installation -- you just make a directory
for it and unzip the distibution zip file into it. And run the executable.

1. http://xnews.newsguy.com (if you do try it, don't worry about
it being a beta -- Luu calls every release a beta.

2. DO pick up the newsgroup news.software.readers, because that's the
de facto support group for it and has a group of very knowedgeable
users. It's not limited to Xnews -- so whatever client you end up
with, it would be a good group for you in terms of getting used to
the new software. I'll see you there, but I'm kinda rusty on Xnews.
(If you end up with Thunderbird, try netscape.public.mozilla.general.
In fact, check them out about the help problem you're having.)

3. Enjoy.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Upgrading From IE http://blinkynet.net/comp/upgrade.html
Mozilla Firefox http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Bernhard Sturm

King of Red Lions wrote:

> Using Thunderbird 1.0 with the 'quote colours' extension - very simple
> and very useful.

oh, where have you found the quote colour extension? I couldn't find it
for Thunderbird 1.0...

--
www.daszeichen.ch
remove nixspam to reply