Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > I wonder if someone could answer this question for me!

I wonder if someone could answer this question for me!

Oli Filth

Kate wrote:
> I have been looking for ways to be able to only change my menu from one file
> for quiet a while now. And over the last few days have been reading some of
> the posts on topics relating to this. I even downloaded the programme
> includeHTML, ( http://rosenlundnielsen.dk/software/ ) after reading the
> link http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Incl...ile_in_another that Mark
> Parnell pointed out, but I don't understand how it works. No matter how
> much I read and re-read the help file included in it.
>
> My server supports php but I also don't know enough about that at the moment
> to use it. In time I do intend to learn more on these subjects, as I taught
> myself html and css. But being a single working mother, doesn't give me the
> time I would like to spend learning more on these issues.
>
> So now I was wondering if I had the menu inside a javascript file with ccs
> for layout, how well do search engines do with this format? At the moment I
> have a site with frames and a non-frames version for those that don't
> support it, but I would so much rather have just the one that I could update
> the menu from one file.
>
> Any information on this subject would be really, really gratefully received.

If you have PHP on your server, this would be by far the best way to do
this. I would recommend trying to learn PHP, as it can do loads of
useful stuff.

To solve your menu problem, rename all of your .htm files as .php files.
Then, wherever you want your menu to appear in your HTML, insert the
following code:

<?php include "menu.htm"; ?>

Put the HTML for the menu in menu.htm.

--
Oli

Kate

[...]

Many thanks in advance,
Kate

Alan Cole

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Kate" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have been looking for ways to be able to only change my menu from one file
> for quiet a while now. And over the last few days have been reading some of
> the posts on topics relating to this. I even downloaded the programme
> includeHTML, ( http://rosenlundnielsen.dk/software/ ) after reading the
> link http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Incl...ile_in_another that Mark
> Parnell pointed out, but I don't understand how it works. No matter how
> much I read and re-read the help file included in it.
>
> My server supports php but I also don't know enough about that at the moment
> to use it. In time I do intend to learn more on these subjects, as I taught
> myself html and css. But being a single working mother, doesn't give me the
> time I would like to spend learning more on these issues.
>
> So now I was wondering if I had the menu inside a javascript file with ccs
> for layout, how well do search engines do with this format? At the moment I
> have a site with frames and a non-frames version for those that don't
> support it, but I would so much rather have just the one that I could update
> the menu from one file.
>
> Any information on this subject would be really, really gratefully received.
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> Kate

You could rename your html files to have a .shtml suffix rather than
..htm or .html and then wherever you want your 'menu' file to appear
simply use the following:

<!--#include virtual="./menu.shtml" -->

Hope that helps.

Al.

--
Alan Cole. E-mail: justal at lineone dot net
http://www.forces-of-nature.co.uk [Coastal Sports]

Kate

"Oli Filth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iewGd.632$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Kate wrote:
> > I have been looking for ways to be able to only change my menu from one

file
> > for quiet a while now. And over the last few days have been reading

some of
> > the posts on topics relating to this. I even downloaded the programme
> > includeHTML, ( http://rosenlundnielsen.dk/software/ ) after reading

the
> > link http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Incl...ile_in_another that

Mark
> > Parnell pointed out, but I don't understand how it works. No matter how
> > much I read and re-read the help file included in it.
> >
> > My server supports php but I also don't know enough about that at the

moment
> > to use it. In time I do intend to learn more on these subjects, as I

taught
> > myself html and css. But being a single working mother, doesn't give me

the
> > time I would like to spend learning more on these issues.
> >
> > So now I was wondering if I had the menu inside a javascript file with

ccs
> > for layout, how well do search engines do with this format? At the

moment I
> > have a site with frames and a non-frames version for those that don't
> > support it, but I would so much rather have just the one that I could

update
> > the menu from one file.
> >
> > Any information on this subject would be really, really gratefully

received.

> If you have PHP on your server, this would be by far the best way to do
> this. I would recommend trying to learn PHP, as it can do loads of
> useful stuff.
>
> To solve your menu problem, rename all of your .htm files as .php files.
> Then, wherever you want your menu to appear in your HTML, insert the
> following code:
>
> <?php include "menu.htm"; ?>
>
> Put the HTML for the menu in menu.htm.
>

> --
> Oli

Oli thank you so much, that seems to have the desired affect. I am very
grateful to you. Have a great Sunday!

Best wishes,
Kate

Kate

"Alan Cole" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Kate" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I have been looking for ways to be able to only change my menu from one

file
> > for quiet a while now. And over the last few days have been reading

some of
> > the posts on topics relating to this. I even downloaded the programme
> > includeHTML, ( http://rosenlundnielsen.dk/software/ ) after reading

the
> > link http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Incl...ile_in_another that

Mark
> > Parnell pointed out, but I don't understand how it works. No matter how
> > much I read and re-read the help file included in it.
> >
> > My server supports php but I also don't know enough about that at the

moment
> > to use it. In time I do intend to learn more on these subjects, as I

taught
> > myself html and css. But being a single working mother, doesn't give me

the
> > time I would like to spend learning more on these issues.
> >
> > So now I was wondering if I had the menu inside a javascript file with

ccs
> > for layout, how well do search engines do with this format? At the

moment I
> > have a site with frames and a non-frames version for those that don't
> > support it, but I would so much rather have just the one that I could

update
> > the menu from one file.
> >
> > Any information on this subject would be really, really gratefully

received.

> > Many thanks in advance,
> > Kate

> You could rename your html files to have a .shtml suffix rather than
> .htm or .html and then wherever you want your 'menu' file to appear
> simply use the following:
>
> <!--#include virtual="./menu.shtml" -->
>

> Hope that helps.
>
> Al.
>
> --
> Alan Cole. E-mail: justal at lineone dot net
> http://www.forces-of-nature.co.uk [Coastal Sports]
> http://www.tsunami-site-design.co.uk [Website Design]
> http://tinyurl.com/64xrd [Plusnet ISP]

Thank you both so much, both work great. You have saved me going slightly
made. I have as I stated read and re-read so much documentation over the
last couple nights. Just a couple of questions though if you don't
mind indulging me a little longer. Would I be able to use css with the menu
file for layout and how do search engines handle the include?

Many thanks in advance,
Kate

Alan Cole

> Thank you both so much, both work great. You have saved me going slightly
> made. I have as I stated read and re-read so much documentation over the
> last couple nights. Just a couple of questions though if you don't
> mind indulging me a little longer. Would I be able to use css with the menu
> file for layout and how do search engines handle the include?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> Kate

css will work fine... you can either put the css inline in the menu file
or in the file containing the include statement, or link to it from
either the menu file or from the file containing the include statement.

Search engine will catalogue the contents of the included file as if it
were in the file that contains the include statement.

Basically, by the time the information gets to the browser (or search
engine robot) it is as if the included file were actually just a part of
the file containing the include statement.

Al.

--
Alan Cole. E-mail: justal at lineone dot net
http://www.forces-of-nature.co.uk [Coastal Sports]
http://www.tsunami-site-design.co.uk [Website Design]
http://tinyurl.com/64xrd [Plusnet ISP]

Kate

"Alan Cole" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > Thank you both so much, both work great. You have saved me going

slightly
> > made. I have as I stated read and re-read so much documentation over

the
> > last couple nights. Just a couple of questions though if you don't
> > mind indulging me a little longer. Would I be able to use css with the

menu
> > file for layout and how do search engines handle the include?
> >
> > Many thanks in advance,
> > Kate

> css will work fine... you can either put the css inline in the menu file
> or in the file containing the include statement, or link to it from
> either the menu file or from the file containing the include statement.
>
> Search engine will catalogue the contents of the included file as if it
> were in the file that contains the include statement.
>
> Basically, by the time the information gets to the browser (or search
> engine robot) it is as if the included file were actually just a part of
> the file containing the include statement.
>

> Al.

That's brilliant! I don't know how to thank you, ) you really have made
my day! Time to myself is so precious in my household, and this has made
updating my site so much easier for me.

I have spent so many hours trawling the net to find in a layman's terms
explanation of how I do this, but always seemed to get search pages full of
technical this is how you do it. Both of your pieces of advice have been
great.

I hope you wont mind me coming back at a latter date with some more
questions, but for now I'm a very happy individual.

Thank you once again, have a great Sunday evening.
Kate.

Duende

While sitting in a puddle Kate scribbled in the mud:

> You have saved me going slightly made.

That could be interesting.

--
D?
http://wipkip.biz just to raise my PR

Alan Cole

> That's brilliant! I don't know how to thank you, ) you really have made
> my day! Time to myself is so precious in my household, and this has made
> updating my site so much easier for me.
>
> I have spent so many hours trawling the net to find in a layman's terms
> explanation of how I do this, but always seemed to get search pages full of
> technical this is how you do it. Both of your pieces of advice have been
> great.
>
> I hope you wont mind me coming back at a latter date with some more
> questions, but for now I'm a very happy individual.
>
> Thank you once again, have a great Sunday evening.
> Kate.

No problem, it's good to be able to help others as I'm usually the one
asking the questions!

Al.

--

"Duende" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> While sitting in a puddle Kate scribbled in the mud:
>
> > You have saved me going slightly made.

> That could be interesting.
>
> --
> D?
> http://wipkip.biz just to raise my PR

lol... umm yes seven year old was having a temper tantrum at the time of
writing. No I haven't become a member of any mafia group.

Kate