Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Newbie question

Newbie question

can2002

Hi there,

Apologies for the newbie question, I've been searching for an answer but
I'm not sure of the right terminology.

I've built a basic html page that has all my frequent links as well as
some basic javascript to allow me to do a Google search directly from a
form on the page.

This is all working fine, my only outstanding desire is to make the
search text input field be highlighted when the page is opened (like in
Google when the search field is highlighted at the start).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Can

rf

"can2002" <can2002@nospammailDOTnet> wrote

> Hi there,
>
> This is all working fine, my only outstanding desire is to make the
> search text input field be highlighted when the page is opened (like in
> Google when the search field is highlighted at the start).

Why don't you have a look at google's page? Hint: it's in an onload event
handler on the body element.

--
Cheers
Richard.

Al Jones

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 23:01:37 GMT, rf <rf@.invalid> wrote:

> "can2002" <can2002@nospammailDOTnet> wrote
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> This is all working fine, my only outstanding desire is to make the
>> search text input field be highlighted when the page is opened (like in
>> Google when the search field is highlighted at the start).

> Why don't you have a look at google's page? Hint: it's in an onload event
> handler on the body element.

Hey, that's more help than you gave me the first time 'round. Now I gotta
go look see....

rf

"Al Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 23:01:37 GMT, rf <rf@.invalid> wrote:
>
> > "can2002" <can2002@nospammailDOTnet> wrote
> >
> >> Hi there,
> >>
> >> This is all working fine, my only outstanding desire is to make the
> >> search text input field be highlighted when the page is opened (like in
> >> Google when the search field is highlighted at the start).

> > Why don't you have a look at google's page? Hint: it's in an onload

event
> > handler on the body element.
> >

> Hey, that's more help than you gave me the first time 'round.

<grin/>

I thought is *was* good advice. Frames bacame obsolete 6 months after
netscape invented them and if you use strict then you can not use deprecated
stuff that is no longer in vogue (and validate, that is).

> Now I gotta go look see....

Damn. Now *everybody* is going to hijack the focus. There was a recent
thread about this over at clj.

What happens if the images on the page are a bit slow to load. I tab to the
input field and start typing. When the page finishes loading suddenly the
field gets re-focused, which puts the caret at the beginning of the field.
What has just happened to the stuff I am buisily typing in?

Even worse for, say, a user-id/password form. I have entered my userid and
have tabbed to the password field. Suddenly focus is back at the userid
field. I am now typing my password in in plain text, for all those standing
behind me to view.

Don't mess with the users browser

--
Cheers
Richard.

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html, rf <rf@.invalid> said:

> Damn. Now *everybody* is going to hijack the focus. There was a recent
> thread about this over at clj.

And one in ciwah.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Duende

While sitting in a puddle rf scribbled in the mud:

> What happens if the images on the page are a bit slow to load. I tab to the
> input field and start typing. When the page finishes loading suddenly the
> field gets re-focused, which puts the caret at the beginning of the field.
> What has just happened to the stuff I am buisily typing in?
>
> Even worse for, say, a user-id/password form. I have entered my userid and
> have tabbed to the password field. Suddenly focus is back at the userid
> field. I am now typing my password in in plain text, for all those standing
> behind me to view.
>
> Don't mess with the users browser

Don't be in such a hurry to fill in the forms. ;>

--
D?
http://wipkip.biz just to raise my PR

Richard

"can2002" <can2002@nospammailDOTnet> wrote in message
news:41e5a948$0$23053$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Hi there,
>
> Apologies for the newbie question, I've been searching for an answer but
> I'm not sure of the right terminology.
>
> I've built a basic html page that has all my frequent links as well as
> some basic javascript to allow me to do a Google search directly from a
> form on the page.
>
> This is all working fine, my only outstanding desire is to make the
> search text input field be highlighted when the page is opened (like in
> Google when the search field is highlighted at the start).
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Regards,
> Can

www.google.com
Search took 3 seconds to perform.
http://www.nsftools.com/misc/SearchAndHighlight.htm

Enjoy yourself.

Oli Filth

Richard wrote:
> "can2002" <can2002@nospammailDOTnet> wrote in message
> news:41e5a948$0$23053$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>
>>Hi there,
>>
>>Apologies for the newbie question, I've been searching for an answer but
>>I'm not sure of the right terminology.
>>
>>I've built a basic html page that has all my frequent links as well as
>>some basic javascript to allow me to do a Google search directly from a
>>form on the page.
>>
>>This is all working fine, my only outstanding desire is to make the
>>search text input field be highlighted when the page is opened (like in
>>Google when the search field is highlighted at the start).
>>
>>Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>>
>>Regards,
>>Can

> www.google.com
> Search took 3 seconds to perform.
> http://www.nsftools.com/misc/SearchAndHighlight.htm
>
> Enjoy yourself.

Once again you've failed to misunderstand what someone's said. Nice work!

--
Oli

Oli Filth

Oli Filth wrote:
> Richard wrote:
>
>> "can2002" <can2002@nospammailDOTnet> wrote in message
>> news:41e5a948$0$23053$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> Apologies for the newbie question, I've been searching for an answer but
>>> I'm not sure of the right terminology.
>>>
>>> I've built a basic html page that has all my frequent links as well as
>>> some basic javascript to allow me to do a Google search directly from a
>>> form on the page.
>>>
>>> This is all working fine, my only outstanding desire is to make the
>>> search text input field be highlighted when the page is opened (like in
>>> Google when the search field is highlighted at the start).
>>>
>>> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Can

>> www.google.com
>> Search took 3 seconds to perform.
>> http://www.nsftools.com/misc/SearchAndHighlight.htm
>>
>> Enjoy yourself.
>>

> Once again you've failed to misunderstand what someone's said. Nice work!

^
^
understand
--
Oli

Toby Inkster

rf wrote:

> Hint: it's in an onload event handler on the body element.

And except in very specific situations, often a bad idea.

Though in this case, as it's just for the OP's personal use, I'll let it
slide.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS