Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Are <b> and <i> tags obsolete ?

Are <b> and <i> tags obsolete ?

Bart

Op Wed, 12 Jan 2005 20:13:31 GMT schreef http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
(CarolW.):

>On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 20:49:50 +0100, Bart
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hi there,
>>
>>Although <b> and <i> tags are (according to the W3C HTML 4.01
>>standard) not deprecated, their use is discouraged.
>>I used to use <b> and <i> quit often.

>Where was this information shared at on W3C? I looked around and
>didn't see that recommendation about using <b> or <i> being
>discouraged as sometimes I use <b> or <i> just for visual versus
>"vocal" emphasis thoughts that <em> and <strong> share.
>
>Carol

In the W3C HTML 4.01 specification on www.w3c.org//TR/html401, section
15.2 on fonts:
[quote]
"Although they are not all deprecated, their use is discoraged in
favor of style sheets"
[unquote]

This comment in the document referres to <TT>, <I>, <B>, <BIG>,
<SMALL>, <STRIKE>, <S> and <U> elements, of wich <STRIKE> and <U> are
deprecated.

Bart

--
Bart Broersma
(E-Mail Removed)

Bart

Op Wed, 12 Jan 2005 20:54:51 +0100 schreef "Barbara de Zoete"
<(E-Mail Removed)>:

>On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 20:49:50 +0100, Bart <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>> Although <b> and <i> tags are (according to the W3C HTML 4.01
>> standard) not deprecated, their use is discouraged.
>> I used to use <b> and <i> quit often.
>>
>> What in your opinion is the preferred way to go:
>> - use <em> and <strong> (with or without a stylesheet) for markup or
>> - use CSS (font-weight: bold; and font-style: italic) ?
>>

>I would stick to <em> for emphasis and <strong> because they do not only render
>text in graphical browsers in a certain way, but could emphasise text in other
>than graphical browsers as well, where as CSS will not do anything for a
>non-graphical browser.
>You can always change the looks of <em> and <strong> with CSS if you wish to do
>so.

I think I'll go that way then.
Read part of your website on webdesign.
Its content is very clear and informative and I like the design.
Might adopt parts of your philosophy.

I write my HTML in my own self-written HTML editor, wich not yet has
buttons or keyboard shortcuts to <em> and <strong., so I'll adjust
that as well ...

>> Any input is appreciated.
>>

>Are you sure ?

As long as it's on topic (and no flame).

Bart
--
Bart Broersma
(E-Mail Removed)
(ff _ANTISPAM_ wegpoetsen uit dit adres natuurlijk)

Bart

Op Wed, 12 Jan 2005 21:50:54 +0000 (UTC) schreef "Jukka K. Korpela"
<(E-Mail Removed)>:

>On the other hand, the corresponding approved document for WCAG 1.0 says:
>"The proper HTML elements should be used to mark up emphasis: EM and
>STRONG. The B and I elements should not be used; they are used to create a
>visual presentation effect."
>http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-HTML-TECHS/#text-emphasis
>
>So although the B and I elements have not been deprecated, the document
>seems to recommend that they be not be used, which might be seen as a
>milder statement. But reading closely, and reading the heading "Emphasis",
>we might come to the conclusion that the recommendation is that B and I be
>not used _for emphasis_. This leaves it open whether they could be used for
>other things.

I think I'll follw that viwe in the future then.

>I think I'll stop here, since those elements have been discussed very much
>on different fora, including this group, and it's not really a big issue.

Maybe not a big issue, but I just was interested in your opinions.

Thanks.

Bart
--
Bart Broersma
(E-Mail Removed)
(ff _ANTISPAM_ wegpoetsen uit dit adres natuurlijk)

Starshine Moonbeam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bart
((E-Mail Removed)) dropped a +5 bundle of words...

> Hi there,
>
> Although <b> and <i> tags are (according to the W3C HTML 4.01
> standard) not deprecated, their use is discouraged.
> I used to use <b> and <i> quit often.
>
> What in your opinion is the preferred way to go:
> - use <em> and <strong> (with or without a stylesheet) for markup or
> - use CSS (font-weight: bold; and font-style: italic) ?
>
> Any input is appreciated.

I've used them for little one time things just so I don't have to type
out style="{...}" when I can just use a <b> but if it's more than just a
quick little thing, I'd code it out.

--
Starshine Moonbeam
mhm31x9 Smeeter#29 WSD#30