Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Which browsers support <IFRAME> ?

Which browsers support <IFRAME> ?

David D.

Which browsers support / do not support IFRAME?

- David D.

Dylan Parry

David D. wrote:
> Which browsers support / do not support IFRAME?

AFAIK the following browsers support it: IE6, Mozilla (inc. Netscape 6+,
Firefox etc), Opera 5+, Konqueror 3+. Conversely, Netscape 4, MSN TV
(aka. WebTV) and most text-only browsers *do not* support it.

--
Dylan Parry

Travis Newbury

Dvid D. wrote:
> Which browsers support / do not support IFRAME?

You mean with the default settings?

--
-=tn=-

Steve Pugh

"David D." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Which browsers support / do not support IFRAME?

Do support: IE since version 3, Opera since version 3, Netscape since
version 6, other Gecko browsers since about the same time, Safari and
Konqueror since version ?

Of course not all of them support iframes in the same way and some of
the above give the users the ability to turn them off. And even if
they do support them to the full extent of the spec that still leaves
the usability problems that are inherent.

Steve

David D.

"Travis Newbury" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Dvid D. wrote:
> > Which browsers support / do not support IFRAME?

> You mean with the default settings?
>
> -=tn=-

Yes. In other words, is it reasonable to use IFRAME without checking
browser types and adding different code for various browsers. I know that
it won't work everywhere, but I just want it to work for a large percent of
the browsers that people have currently installed.

David D.

Thanks, all.

Also, FYI, someone from another source just pointed me to
http://www.webmastersupercenter.com/...gn_browser.htm

That chart is great starting point. It still doesn't say how well each
supports it, or what the defaults are.

- David

Jukka K. Korpela

"David D." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In other words, is it reasonable to use IFRAME

Normally not. What would you use it for?

> without checking
> browser types and adding different code for various browsers.

Fact 1 of the WWW: You cannot reliably recognize the browser, its version,
its settings, the screen resolution, the browser window size, or the shoe
size of the user.
Fact 2: You will mostly just mess things up in trying to do recognize them,
though at times you only waste everyone's time.

> I know
> that it won't work everywhere, but I just want it to work for a large
> percent of the browsers that people have currently installed.

We all start at a situation where our HTML works for 100 %, but many of us
spend quite some time and energy to get the percentage smaller and are
eager to know how far they've got. (Of course, they only get wrong numbers,
since 96.6 % of all percentages have just been made up.)

I would guess that you would use IFRAME for simple inclusion. In that case,
check the FAQ entry on how to include an HTML page in another.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Toby Inkster

David D. wrote:

> Yes. In other words, is it reasonable to use IFRAME without checking
> browser types and adding different code for various browsers. I know that
> it won't work everywhere, but I just want it to work for a large percent of
> the browsers that people have currently installed.

Why not do this?

<iframe height="100" width="200" src="blah"><a
href="blah">blah</a></iframe>

Then most people get the IFRAME and everybody else sees a plain link.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

David D.

"Toby Inkster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) .uk...
> David D. wrote:
>
> > Yes. In other words, is it reasonable to use IFRAME without checking
> > browser types and adding different code for various browsers. I know

that
> > it won't work everywhere, but I just want it to work for a large percent

of
> > the browsers that people have currently installed.

> Why not do this?
>
> <iframe height="100" width="200" src="blah"><a
> href="blah">blah</a></iframe>
>
> Then most people get the IFRAME and everybody else sees a plain link.
>
> --
> Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Thanks for the suggestion, Toby.

Alternatively you could have minimal inline HTML logic instead of the <a
....></a>. That way you get a simplified version of what you wanted to
accomplish with the IFRAME.

- David

jake

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, David D.
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>"Toby Inkster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news(E-Mail Removed) o.uk...
>> David D. wrote:
>>
>> > Yes. In other words, is it reasonable to use IFRAME without checking
>> > browser types and adding different code for various browsers. I know

>that
>> > it won't work everywhere, but I just want it to work for a large percent

>of
>> > the browsers that people have currently installed.

>> Why not do this?
>>
>> <iframe height="100" width="200" src="blah"><a
>> href="blah">blah</a></iframe>
>>
>> Then most people get the IFRAME and everybody else sees a plain link.
>>
>> --
>> Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
>> Contact Me ~ http://tobyinkster.co.uk/contact

> Thanks for the suggestion, Toby.
>
> Alternatively you could have minimal inline HTML logic instead of the <a
>...></a>. That way you get a simplified version of what you wanted to
>accomplish with the IFRAME.
>
> - David

It all depends on what you're going to put in the Iframe.

If it's some text, then that's fine.

However, if -- for example -- it's a series of images, then you may want
a series of pages to replicate the functionality, and so a link to the
first alternative page would be the correct choice.

regards.

--
Jake