Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: Any HTML Guru's available to look at this code?

Re: Any HTML Guru's available to look at this code?

BAF

If anyone can help, my correct address is http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

"BAF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:...
> Problem:
>
> Main site index file (a weblog) is a table layout with just two columns.
> Left (grey) column, and main blog blog (white) right column.
>
> Essentially the same index code is used on the same site for a separate
> photoblog.
>
> The alignment between the two cells of the main table aren't the same
> between the two pages. In the main site index page, the margins of the
> blog content in the white side of the table don't come close to the split
> between the two table cells. This is best seen in the alignment
> differences between the yellow-background date lines.
>
> KEEP IN MIND: The background graphic creates the false-colored table cells
> grey/white...so pay no attention to that for actual HTML measurements.
>
> ACK! I've just spent about 3 hours looking this over again and again...no
> avail. I'm guessing I'm overlooking something really stupid...can anyone
> help?
>
> Main site: http://www.blueroomlounge.com/index.php (note the blog margin
> nowhere near the actual split)
> Photoblog: http://www.blueroomlounge.com/index.html (lines up nicely;
> date bar and <hr> line are evenly split and line up well to the cell
> borders)

mbstevens

BAF wrote:

> If anyone can help, my correct address is (E-Mail Removed)
>

> "BAF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:...
>> Problem:
>>
>> Main site index file (a weblog) is a table layout with just two columns.
>> Left (grey) column, and main blog blog (white) right column.
>>
>> Essentially the same index code is used on the same site for a separate
>> photoblog.
>>
>> The alignment between the two cells of the main table aren't the same
>> between the two pages. In the main site index page, the margins of the
>> blog content in the white side of the table don't come close to the split
>> between the two table cells. This is best seen in the alignment
>> differences between the yellow-background date lines.
>>
>> KEEP IN MIND: The background graphic creates the false-colored table
>> cells grey/white...so pay no attention to that for actual HTML
>> measurements.
>>
>> ACK! I've just spent about 3 hours looking this over again and
>> again...no
>> avail. I'm guessing I'm overlooking something really stupid...can anyone
>> help?
>>
>> Main site: http://www.blueroomlounge.com/index.php (note the blog margin
>> nowhere near the actual split)
>> Photoblog: http://www.blueroomlounge.com/index.html (lines up nicely;
>> date bar and <hr> line are evenly split and line up well to the cell
>> borders)

When I try to access index.html I keep getting redirected into index.php, so
I naturally can't see any difference.

In general, what *you're* seeing *might* be related to the following kinds
of markup from your site:
and
These markup snippets from your page use old style width, align,
cellpadding, and cellspacing.
I suggest you get *all* display markup into CSS.
Get rid of the fixed width on the right cell so the window can flow -- just
don't set that width.

I really don't object to a simple table like this with just two cells, but a
better solution would be to adapt the 2 column template from
http://www.realworldstyle.com
....or a similar template. I realize your blog software may be writing a lot
of your pages, so this may not be possible, but do it if you can.
--
mbstevens http://www.mbstevens.com