Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Automatik Screenshots of Websites

Automatik Screenshots of Websites

Matthias Pospiech

I would like to include to every Link a small picture of the website.
Like for example on http://gnuhaus.com/web.html
but mabe with smaller images.

Any idea how that could be done automatically ? Is there a tool for such
thing already ?

Matthias

Mitja

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 16:59:07 +0100, Matthias Pospiech
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I would like to include to every Link a small picture of the website.
> Like for example on http://gnuhaus.com/web.html
> but mabe with smaller images.
>
> Any idea how that could be done automatically ? Is there a tool for such
> thing already ?

What you're looking for is called screen capturing software. The more
sophisticated proggies come with both options that you desire - capturing
the image of the active window only and resizing the image. The capability
of saving to a file is a given.

Google for freeware screen capture.

--
Mitja

Matthias Pospiech

Mitja wrote:

> On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 16:59:07 +0100, Matthias Pospiech
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I would like to include to every Link a small picture of the website.
>> Like for example on http://gnuhaus.com/web.html
>> but mabe with smaller images.
>>
>> Any idea how that could be done automatically ? Is there a tool for such
>> thing already ?

> What you're looking for is called screen capturing software.

Really ?

What I a m looking for should run on a linux system and be called by a php
or perl script and run in the background. Moreover it must be installable
with normal user rights.

To be more precise, I do not look for software to capture the whole screen,
just for software that captures the webpage design. resizing should not be
the problem.

One exampel webpage that does this is (just found rigt now)
http://world.dir.nodeworks.com/Deuts...are/TeX/LaTeX/

Very interessting is however, that my webpage is the only one without a
screenshot...

There a tool that does this is called Thumbshots

Matthias

Richard

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 18:15:12 +0100 Matthias Pospiech wrote:

> Mitja wrote:

>> On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 16:59:07 +0100, Matthias Pospiech
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> I would like to include to every Link a small picture of the website.
>>> Like for example on http://gnuhaus.com/web.html
>>> but mabe with smaller images.

>>> Any idea how that could be done automatically ? Is there a tool for
>>> such
>>> thing already ?

>> What you're looking for is called screen capturing software.

> Really ?

> What I a m looking for should run on a linux system and be called by a
> php
> or perl script and run in the background. Moreover it must be
> installable
> with normal user rights.

I don't think you want to do this on the server level.
Your host may not approve of such a program running in the background.

> To be more precise, I do not look for software to capture the whole
> screen,
> just for software that captures the webpage design. resizing should not
> be
> the problem.

Copyright and intellectual property conflicts are possible here.

> One exampel webpage that does this is (just found rigt now)
> http://world.dir.nodeworks.com/Deuts...are/TeX/LaTeX/

Sprechen sie deutsch nein.

> Very interessting is however, that my webpage is the only one without a
> screenshot...

> There a tool that does this is called Thumbshots

> Matthias

Thumbshots captures the entire page and makes a thumbnail.
From what I've seen on their pages.
So what you're after then is a program will capture the template, not the
content.
I don't think any software around can do that.

Duende

While sitting in a puddle Richard scribbled in the mud:

> Copyright and intellectual property conflicts are possible here.

Doesn't bother you though does it.

--
D?
http://wipkip.biz just to raise my PR

Matthias Pospiech

Duende wrote:

> While sitting in a puddle Richard scribbled in the mud:
>

>> Copyright and intellectual property conflicts are possible here.

> Doesn't bother you though does it.

In which way would a thumbnail image of a website cause Copyright and

Richard wrote:
>> What I a m looking for should run on a linux system and be called by a
>> php
>> or perl script and run in the background. Moreover it must be
>> installable
>> with normal user rights.

> I don't think you want to do this on the server level.
> Your host may not approve of such a program running in the background.

Why not on server level ? Because I would connect lets say 150 webpages
every 2 weeks or so ? Actually I have not thought about what the host might
say to it, but I could contact the host to ask.

Well, could also be on my machine (still Linux) and the images updated over
ftp. But with more than hundret linked pages this is still no job for
manual screenshots.

>> One exampel webpage that does this is (just found rigt now)
>> http://world.dir.nodeworks.com/Deuts...are/TeX/LaTeX/

> Sprechen sie deutsch nein.

Well, the images are still international ...

> So what you're after then is a program will capture the template, not the
> content.

Hm, I am not interested in there HTML template, nor the content just the
picture.

> I don't think any software around can do that.

Sad.

Matthias

mbstevens

Matthias Pospiech wrote:

>>> I would like to include to every Link a small picture of the website.
>>> Like for example on http://gnuhaus.com/web.html
>>> but mabe with smaller images.
>>>
>>> Any idea how that could be done automatically ? Is there a tool for such
>>> thing already ?

> What I a m looking for should run on a linux system and be called by a php
> or perl script and run in the background. Moreover it must be installable
> with normal user rights.
> To be more precise, I do not look for software to capture the whole
> screen, just for software that captures the webpage design. resizing
> should not be the problem.
> One exampel webpage that does this is (just found rigt now)
> http://world.dir.nodeworks.com/Deuts...are/TeX/LaTeX/

If I were making a site like either of the ones you posted links to, I would
want to visit them personally to decide which page on the site to make a
thumbnail of. I don't see how your decisions could be automated except with
a thoroughly trained AI. You could use ksnapshot. Gnome has a similar
grabber.

Once you have all your images and text notes gathered together, you should
be able to write a preprocessor in Perl to make the pages for you, ready
for upload to your server.

Or, you could upload everything and display them through a CGI program that
combines them into a webpage when called.

One completely scriptable Linux command is 'import'. It can be used to
capture a screenshot of any window you know the name of. Check out it's
man page.

A much more complete set of scriptable image manipulation tools is
ImageMagick,which Perl and several other languages have hooks into.
--
mbstevens
http://www.mbstevens.com/preprocessor/

Toby Inkster

Matthias Pospiech wrote:

> What I a m looking for should run on a linux system and be called by a php
> or perl script and run in the background. Moreover it must be installable
> with normal user rights.

That ought to be doable.

Use something like "vncserver" to create a new virtual desktop, spawn
Mozilla or some other browser and send it to the address, pause for 10
seconds and then use "import" or some other screen capture utility to take
a shot and "convert" to scale it down to a decent size. Then kill the
vncserver by PID.

Seems suitably scriptable in, say, Perl.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Matthias Pospiech

mbstevens wrote:

> Matthias Pospiech wrote:
>> To be more precise, I do not look for software to capture the whole
>> screen, just for software that captures the webpage design. resizing
>> should not be the problem.
>> One exampel webpage that does this is (just found rigt now)
>> http://world.dir.nodeworks.com/Deuts...are/TeX/LaTeX/

> If I were making a site like either of the ones you posted links to, I
> would want to visit them personally to decide which page on the site to
> make a thumbnail of. I don't see how your decisions could be automated
> except with a thoroughly trained AI.

Well, I have all the links already, I have them online already. But I think
that the links pages might be much better with such images.

> You could use ksnapshot. Gnome has a similar grabber.

I know, but that leaves me still with loading the page, doing a screenshot
and cutting the image aferwards.

> Once you have all your images and text notes gathered together, you should
> be able to write a preprocessor in Perl to make the pages for you, ready
> for upload to your server.

Sure, But its only a bunch of pages.

> One completely scriptable Linux command is 'import'. It can be used to
> capture a screenshot of any window you know the name of. Check out it's
> man page.

Import sound like the right tool to capture images by a script.

> A much more complete set of scriptable image manipulation tools is
> ImageMagick,which Perl and several other languages have hooks into.

You mean convert ? I know, but I never understood the manpage though.

The real reason why I would like to have it completely automatical is that
if my webpage could be edited online, and links could be edited online (by
others) than this webpage-images should be created automatically too.

Matthias

extract text from screen or screenshots... Sue Java 6 08-03-2005 07:28 PM
Can't Capture Movie Screenshots. Moke G Computer Support 5 01-29-2005 10:30 PM
Ctrl-V pastes screenshots, not selected text jjshabadoo Computer Support 1 08-30-2004 07:17 PM
PDM 4.0 screenshots Poop Poop Cisco 0 03-04-2004 02:08 AM
Screenshots please Toby A Inkster HTML 4 07-05-2003 10:35 PM

Advertisments