Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > what browser setting to you use when design website (800 x 600 OR 1024 x 768)??

what browser setting to you use when design website (800 x 600 OR 1024 x 768)??

Matt Probert

Once upon a time, far far away, the king summoned "Black Tractor"
<blacktractor@NOT_VALID_black.net.sg> who replied:

>Hi there..
>
>In a simple way l would like to know what setting (ie: in 800 X 600 or 1024
>X 768 format) you normally set when you design a website?

Haven't had this sitcom for a while now. Time to put the kettle
on.....

Matt

--
If your encyclopaedia doesn't list "widget glass", you're reading the wrong encyclopaedia.
The Probert Encyclopaedia. Its not the same.

Matt Probert

Once upon a time, far far away, the king summoned SpaceGirl
<(E-Mail Removed)> who replied:

>depending on the client; either flexible (the site resizes to *any*
>size) or fixed to fit within 1024x768 [900x650 real] (for band and media
>heavy sites) or 800x600 [750x500] for clients with a less high-tech
>audience.

Would that be a lower tech audience? <g>

Matt

--
Over 16,000 searchable slang definitions from around
the 'English' speaking world.

http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/slang.htm

Matt Probert

>I design 100% css layout driven web sites, tableless, liquid design that
>work from 800 x 600 to 1600 x 1200.

And my car's faster than your car <g>

Matt

--
The Probert Encyclopaedia - Beyond Britannica
http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com

Travis Newbury

Black Tractor wrote:
> Hi there..
> In a simple way l would like to know what setting (ie: in 800 X 600

or 1024
> X 768 format) you normally set when you design a website?

Totally depends on what the site is used for.

1: Use flexible design if you are concerned that every one in the world
can see it no matter the size of the browser.

2: 800px wide is always a safe bet for everyone but the people in this
forum, but they are not typical. (If they were typical they would all
be using IE as their primary browser.)

People here will give you all the exceptions in the world telling you
how they only access the web from their phone, and would rather leave a
site rather than resize their browser. And they are right. A fixed
size _may_ cause you to lose a customer. But it totally depends on the
site and what it is trying to accomplish

YMMV

--
-=tn=-

Travis Newbury

C A Upsdell wrote:
> > As a frontpage user, l use the setting of 1024 x 768 but many of my

friends
> > feedback that when they viewed my site, they saw :-

> With fluid design it is not necessary to assume any particular

resolution.

But with fluid design you lose the "layout" To some that is important.

800px wide is a safe bet if you want to preserve the look and feel of
the site.

YMMV

--
-=tn=-

Travis Newbury

C A Upsdell wrote:
> > As a frontpage user, l use the setting of 1024 x 768 but many of my

friends
> > feedback that when they viewed my site, they saw :-

> With fluid design it is not necessary to assume any particular

resolution.

But with fluid design you lose the "layout" To some that is important.

800px wide is a safe bet if you want to preserve the look and feel of
the site.

YMMV

--
-=tn=-

n it is not necessary to assume any particular resolution.

Karl Core

"Matt Probert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>I design 100% css layout driven web sites, tableless, liquid design that
>>work from 800 x 600 to 1600 x 1200.

> And my car's faster than your car <g>

My car can run over your car.

--
-Karl Core
Please Support "Project Boneyard":

Eric Jarvis

Black Tractor blacktractor@NOT_VALID_black.net.sg wrote:

> In a simple way l would like to know what setting (ie: in 800 X 600 or 1024
> X 768 format) you normally set when you design a website?

Both of the above and others. Though only during the styling and testing
stages.

--
eric
www.ericjarvis.co.uk

Eric Jarvis

Karl Core http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> "Matt Probert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >
> >>I design 100% css layout driven web sites, tableless, liquid design that
> >>work from 800 x 600 to 1600 x 1200.

> > And my car's faster than your car <g>

> My car can run over your car.

My bicycle can out accelerate either of your cars...over the first couple
of metres.

--
eric
www.ericjarvis.co.uk
"live fast, die only if strictly necessary"

Karl Core

"Eric Jarvis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
> Karl Core (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>> "Matt Probert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > And my car's faster than your car <g>

>> My car can run over your car.
>>

> My bicycle can out accelerate either of your cars...over the first couple
> of metres.

Well I dunno about Matt's car, but I bet your bicycle can do a 1/4 mile
faster than my truck. Its painfully slow, made more painful by the fact that
I've had more than my fair share of cars with sub- 13 second 1/4 mile times.
Now I'm lucky to get to 30mph in that time with this monster. But, if you
ever need a house pulled off its foundation, I'm your man.