Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Are there any *genuinely* free hit counters?

Are there any *genuinely* free hit counters?

Bob Thomas

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a genuinely free, no
strings attached, no links to anyone, no secret purpose, nothing to
worry about and yet effective web hits counter ???

There seem to be many "free" ones, but I have yet to see one which
really is.

Thanks in advance .......

Bob T.

SpaceGirl

Bob Thomas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a genuinely free, no
> strings attached, no links to anyone, no secret purpose, nothing to
> worry about and yet effective web hits counter ???
>
> There seem to be many "free" ones, but I have yet to see one which
> really is.
>
> Thanks in advance .......
>
> Bob T.

Write your own? It's not complicated, and very free

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Els

Bob Thomas wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a genuinely
> free, no strings attached, no links to anyone, no secret
> purpose, nothing to worry about and yet effective web hits
> counter ???
>
> There seem to be many "free" ones, but I have yet to see
> one which really is.
>
> Thanks in advance .......

http://www.statcounter.com/

Completely invisible if you want, completely free, nice stats,
but: only the last 100 pageviews show, unless you go for the
paid package.

--
Els
http://locusmeus.com/

Donald Link

Lets see! I have FrontPage 2003 and after the intial cost I have 5
FREE hit counter.

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 21:08:56 +1100, Bob Thomas
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a genuinely free, no
>strings attached, no links to anyone, no secret purpose, nothing to
>worry about and yet effective web hits counter ???
>
>There seem to be many "free" ones, but I have yet to see one which
>really is.
>
>Thanks in advance .......
>
>Bob T.

Bob Thomas

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 10:11:23 +0000, SpaceGirl
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a genuinely free, no
>> strings attached, no links to anyone, no secret purpose, nothing to
>> worry about and yet effective web hits counter ???

>Write your own? It's not complicated, and very free

Er ... sounds good ....... but how? Is there a simple code i can copy
from somewhere?

Bob T.

SpaceGirl

Bob Thomas wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 10:11:23 +0000, SpaceGirl
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>>Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a genuinely free, no
>>>strings attached, no links to anyone, no secret purpose, nothing to
>>>worry about and yet effective web hits counter ???

>>Write your own? It's not complicated, and very free

> Er ... sounds good ....... but how? Is there a simple code i can copy
> from somewhere?
>
> Bob T.

<cheeky cow>heh, well that wouldn't be writing your own now would it?
</cheeky cow>

I dunno... I use webtrends on my server (which is not free). I have a
couple of pages that track access via a database (because the pages are
database generated anyway), and that's done in ASP.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

SpaceGirl

Donald Link wrote:
> Lets see! I have FrontPage 2003 and after the intial cost I have 5
> FREE hit counter.
>
> On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 21:08:56 +1100, Bob Thomas
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a genuinely free, no
>>strings attached, no links to anyone, no secret purpose, nothing to
>>worry about and yet effective web hits counter ???
>>
>>There seem to be many "free" ones, but I have yet to see one which
>>really is.
>>
>>Thanks in advance .......
>>
>>Bob T.

They're all client side or require frontpage support at your server
and/or activeX. None of which are supported in combination in the WWW
these days. FP is terrible.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

jake

In message <Xns95D672116858DEls@130.133.1.4>, Els
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Bob Thomas wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a genuinely
>> free, no strings attached, no links to anyone, no secret
>> purpose, nothing to worry about and yet effective web hits
>> counter ???
>>
>> There seem to be many "free" ones, but I have yet to see
>> one which really is.
>>
>> Thanks in advance .......

>http://www.statcounter.com/
>
>Completely invisible if you want, completely free, nice stats,
>but: only the last 100 pageviews show, unless you go for the
>paid package.

Yes, I'll second that.

As Els says "nice stats" -- a lot of it in graphical form:
e.g. http://www.gododdin.demon.co.uk/ng/js/JS.JPG (75k)

regards.

--
Jake

Peter - nativespace hosting

Bob Thomas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a genuinely free, no
> strings attached, no links to anyone, no secret purpose, nothing to
> worry about and yet effective web hits counter ???
>
> There seem to be many "free" ones, but I have yet to see one which
> really is.
>
> Thanks in advance .......
>
> Bob T.

What kind of server are you on?

--
nativespace - Web Hosting and Domain Names
Providers of Advanced, Affordable UK Web Hosting Since 2001

Snake Lady

http://www.nedstat.com/f35e34_index.htm