Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re:No cache

Reply
Thread Tools

Re:No cache

 
 
Luigi Donatello Asero
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-05-2005
They are pages which I want to protect by passwords.


--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/skor.html
http://www.homoweb.it





 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
SpaceGirl
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-05-2005
Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
> They are pages which I want to protect by passwords.



Okay, that will work *sometimes*. Really you have no control over the
cache on someones' computer. That's up to the user. You can "loosely
suggest" with that code for caching to be turned off, but in some
circumstances browsers will ignore it and cache anyway. There's nothing
you can do about it.

--


x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

# lead designer @ http://www.dhnewmedia.com #
# remove NO SPAM to email, or use form on website #
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Luigi Donatello Asero
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-05-2005

"SpaceGirl" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
> > They are pages which I want to protect by passwords.

>
>
> Okay, that will work *sometimes*. Really you have no control over the
> cache on someones' computer. That's up to the user. You can "loosely
> suggest" with that code for caching to be turned off, but in some
> circumstances browsers will ignore it and cache anyway. There's nothing
> you can do about it.


I want to avoid that robots cache those pages.


--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv...omitalien.html
http://www.homoweb.it





 
Reply With Quote
 
Luigi Donatello Asero
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-05-2005

"Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:WyYCd.13228$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "SpaceGirl" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
> > > They are pages which I want to protect by passwords.

> >
> >
> > Okay, that will work *sometimes*. Really you have no control over the
> > cache on someones' computer. That's up to the user. You can "loosely
> > suggest" with that code for caching to be turned off, but in some
> > circumstances browsers will ignore it and cache anyway. There's nothing
> > you can do about it.

>
> I want to avoid that robots cache those pages.
>
>
> --
> Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
> https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv...omitalien.html
> http://www.homoweb.it


I suppose that I read how to instruct robots to cache certain pages
somewhere
but I do not remember where.

--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/italien-karta.html
http://www.homoweb.it






 
Reply With Quote
 
Luigi Donatello Asero
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-05-2005

"Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:THYCd.13235$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> news:WyYCd.13228$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "SpaceGirl" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
> > > > They are pages which I want to protect by passwords.
> > >
> > >
> > > Okay, that will work *sometimes*. Really you have no control over the
> > > cache on someones' computer. That's up to the user. You can "loosely
> > > suggest" with that code for caching to be turned off, but in some
> > > circumstances browsers will ignore it and cache anyway. There's

nothing
> > > you can do about it.

> >
> > I want to avoid that robots cache those pages.
> >
> >
> > --
> > Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
> > https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv...omitalien.html
> > http://www.homoweb.it

>
> I suppose that I read how to instruct robots to cache certain pages
> somewhere
> but I do not remember where.



Sorry, I meant:
I suppose that I read how to instruct robots NOT to cache certain pages
somewhere
but I do not remember where.


--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/italien-karta.html
http://www.homoweb.it




 
Reply With Quote
 
SpaceGirl
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-05-2005
Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
> "Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> news:THYCd.13235$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>"Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
>>news:WyYCd.13228$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>"SpaceGirl" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>>>Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>They are pages which I want to protect by passwords.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>Okay, that will work *sometimes*. Really you have no control over the
>>>>cache on someones' computer. That's up to the user. You can "loosely
>>>>suggest" with that code for caching to be turned off, but in some
>>>>circumstances browsers will ignore it and cache anyway. There's

>
> nothing
>
>>>>you can do about it.
>>>
>>>I want to avoid that robots cache those pages.
>>>
>>>
>>>--
>>> Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
>>>https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv...omitalien.html
>>>http://www.homoweb.it

>>
>>I suppose that I read how to instruct robots to cache certain pages
>>somewhere
>> but I do not remember where.

>
>
>
> Sorry, I meant:
> I suppose that I read how to instruct robots NOT to cache certain pages
> somewhere
> but I do not remember where.
>
>


Rbots dont cache sites; they just read a sites content ready for
indexing on a search engine. The fact a robot has read your site does
NOT mean it will or will not actually index you tho. These things take
time. However, it's nothing to do with caching.

--


x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

# lead designer @ http://www.dhnewmedia.com #
# remove NO SPAM to email, or use form on website #
 
Reply With Quote
 
Oli Filth
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-06-2005
SpaceGirl wrote:
> Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
>
>> "Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
>> news:THYCd.13235$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> Sorry, I meant:
>> I suppose that I read how to instruct robots NOT to cache certain pages
>> somewhere
>> but I do not remember where.
>>
>>

>
> Rbots dont cache sites; they just read a sites content ready for
> indexing on a search engine. The fact a robot has read your site does
> NOT mean it will or will not actually index you tho. These things take
> time. However, it's nothing to do with caching.
>


I think he means the Google page caching scheme (and others). However, I
believe these follow the same rules for cache vs. no-cache as browsers,
i.e. they might honour the <META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma"
CONTENT="no-cache">, but then again they might not.

Luigi, I think you're thinking of the <META name="ROBOTS"
content="NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW"> tag. This is an instruction to tell the
robot not to index the page at all or follow links from the page. But
this hasn't got anything to do with caching.

One further thing: I think it's better to issue the pragma: no-cache
directive directly as an HTTP header rather than as an HTML META tag, I
read somewhere that it's more likely to be honoured this way. e.g. if
you're serving your pages using PHP, you might do something like:

header("Pragma: no-cache");

or use the session_cache_limiter() function at the beginnning of every
script. See http://uk2.php.net/manual/en/function.header.php and
http://uk2.php.net/manual/en/functio...he-limiter.php. I'm
guessing there are similar functions in Perl, ASP, etc.

I hope this is of some use.

--
Oli
 
Reply With Quote
 
Luigi Donatello Asero
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-06-2005

"Oli Filth" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:qr0Dd.736$(E-Mail Removed)...
> SpaceGirl wrote:
> > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
> >
> >> "Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i

meddelandet
> >> news:THYCd.13235$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>
> >> Sorry, I meant:
> >> I suppose that I read how to instruct robots NOT to cache certain

pages
> >> somewhere
> >> but I do not remember where.
> >>
> >>

> >
> > Rbots dont cache sites; they just read a sites content ready for
> > indexing on a search engine. The fact a robot has read your site does
> > NOT mean it will or will not actually index you tho. These things take
> > time. However, it's nothing to do with caching.
> >

>
> I think he means the Google page caching scheme (and others). However, I
> believe these follow the same rules for cache vs. no-cache as browsers,
> i.e. they might honour the <META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma"
> CONTENT="no-cache">, but then again they might not.
>
> Luigi, I think you're thinking of the <META name="ROBOTS"
> content="NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW"> tag. This is an instruction to tell the
> robot not to index the page at all or follow links from the page. But
> this hasn't got anything to do with caching.



Yes. You are right, I think. What I am interested in is that search engines
do not show the contents of the pages which are protected by passwords. But
if the robot does not index a page, search engines could not show it, anyway
and the pages would be protected, wouldn´t they?

>
> One further thing: I think it's better to issue the pragma: no-cache
> directive directly as an HTTP header rather than as an HTML META tag, I
> read somewhere that it's more likely to be honoured this way. e.g. if
> you're serving your pages using PHP, you might do something like:
>
> header("Pragma: no-cache");



You may have right on that subject, too.
Actually, I still have to learn a lot about http headers and how to
configure them.
Do you have other links on this subjects?
I
But if I want to configure the headers, then again, I have to save the files
we are talking about using PHP.
That could be a good thing, in fact. I am trying to learn many things at the
same time, php among others.
>
> or use the session_cache_limiter() function at the beginnning of every
> script. See http://uk2.php.net/manual/en/function.header.php and
> http://uk2.php.net/manual/en/functio...he-limiter.php. I'm
> guessing there are similar functions in Perl, ASP, etc.
>
> I hope this is of some use.



I think it is


--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/damskor.html




 
Reply With Quote
 
rf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-06-2005
"Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> What I am interested in is that search engines
> do not show the contents of the pages which are protected by passwords.


The page is password protected, right?

How would the search engine get to the page to show it? The search engine
does not have the password.

--
Cheers
Richard.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Oli Filth
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-06-2005
Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
> "Oli Filth" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> news:qr0Dd.736$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>SpaceGirl wrote:
>>
>>>Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>>"Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i

>
> meddelandet
>
>>>>news:THYCd.13235$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>>>
>>>>Sorry, I meant:
>>>> I suppose that I read how to instruct robots NOT to cache certain

>
> pages
>
>>>> somewhere
>>>> but I do not remember where.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>Rbots dont cache sites; they just read a sites content ready for
>>>indexing on a search engine. The fact a robot has read your site does
>>>NOT mean it will or will not actually index you tho. These things take
>>>time. However, it's nothing to do with caching.
>>>

>>
>>I think he means the Google page caching scheme (and others). However, I
>>believe these follow the same rules for cache vs. no-cache as browsers,
>>i.e. they might honour the <META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma"
>>CONTENT="no-cache">, but then again they might not.
>>
>>Luigi, I think you're thinking of the <META name="ROBOTS"
>>content="NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW"> tag. This is an instruction to tell the
>>robot not to index the page at all or follow links from the page. But
>>this hasn't got anything to do with caching.

>
>
>
> Yes. You are right, I think. What I am interested in is that search engines
> do not show the contents of the pages which are protected by passwords. But
> if the robot does not index a page, search engines could not show it, anyway
> and the pages would be protected, wouldn´t they?
>
>
>>One further thing: I think it's better to issue the pragma: no-cache
>>directive directly as an HTTP header rather than as an HTML META tag, I
>>read somewhere that it's more likely to be honoured this way. e.g. if
>>you're serving your pages using PHP, you might do something like:
>>
>>header("Pragma: no-cache");

>
>
>
> You may have right on that subject, too.
> Actually, I still have to learn a lot about http headers and how to
> configure them.
> Do you have other links on this subjects?


Here's a reference to the various HTTP headers.
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/http.html

Some of these are sent by the browser (or search robot) when it requests
a page, others are sent from the server when the page is returned.
You'll never need to use the majority of them, and your server will
automatically set some anyway.

If you want to find what HTTP headers have been returned with a page,
you can use the Web Developer plug-in for Firefox
(https://addons.update.mozilla.org/ex...nfo.php?id=60).

Oli
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ASP.NET Cache vs Window System Cache Sergey via DotNetMonster.com ASP .Net 0 11-15-2006 03:33 PM
no-cache - need to reload page from server and not the cache John HTML 2 10-29-2006 05:35 PM
client-side cache vs server-side cache vs ajax vs asp.net callback =?Utf-8?B?b25l?= ASP .Net 1 03-08-2006 12:25 PM
Page.Cache vs HttpContext.Current.Cache DesignerX ASP .Net 5 01-20-2004 10:55 PM
Cache::Cache Stale Segments Jeff Nokes Perl 0 09-30-2003 04:34 PM



Advertisments