Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > css, the irony of

css, the irony of

Martin Johansen

Why, why is css NOT formatted in XML itself?

Hywel Jenkins

In article <GiECd.2693$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Why, why is css NOT formatted in XML itself?

Is CSS a data format?

--
Hywel http://kibo.org.uk/
I do not eat quiche.

Brendan Taylor

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 22:56:49 +0100, Martin Johansen wrote:

> Why, why is css NOT formatted in XML itself?

The obvious reason is that CSS1 was released as a recommendation in 1996,
while XML 1.0 was first released as a recommendation in 1998.

Bernhard Sturm

On 1/4/2005 10:56 PM Martin Johansen spoke thusly
> Why, why is css NOT formatted in XML itself?

A: CSS defines a set of rules to format (X)HTML documents.
A: XSL(T) is a language for transforming XML using XML syntax.

So you could then also ask: why is HTML not a according the XML syntax?
The answer would then be: it's sort of, but not really. Only XHTML is
really a subset of XML.

bernhard
--
www.daszeichen.ch
remove nixspam to reply

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, Martin Johansen ((E-Mail Removed)) feverishly typed...

> Why, why is css NOT formatted in XML itself?

More to the point... why are the instructions to build a flat-pack wardrobe
not written in English[1]?

[1] Insert your own native language here where appropriate

Cheers,
Nige

--
Nigel Moss
http://www.nigenet.org.uk

Toby Inkster

Martin Johansen wrote:

> Why, why is css NOT formatted in XML itself?

Because CSS is not just designed to suggest styling hints for XML only --
it is a general styling language for any structured information.

e.g. I could write a text editor that uses CSS to describe
syntax-highlighting rules for Perl:

@media "Perl" {
* {
color: black;
background: white;
font-size: 11pt;
font-family: "Courier New", monospace;
}
comment {
color: green;
font-style: italic;
}
string {
color: blue;
}
string.interpolated {
font-weight: bold;
}
string.regexp {
color: red;
font-weight: bold;
}
}

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Martin Johansen

The winner is Toby Inkster

Neal

Martin Johansen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The winner is Toby Inkster

What does he win?

Toby Inkster

Martin Johansen wrote:

> The winner is Toby Inkster

Yay!

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

VS irony... darrel ASP .Net 7 01-23-2006 11:37 PM
OT: Irony Kat MCSE 4 06-09-2004 01:15 AM
FireFox and RSS irony Keith Bowes Firefox 2 06-01-2004 12:07 PM
OT Thursday Irony Consultant MCSE 9 04-23-2004 11:51 AM
OT: Irony Ken Briscoe MCSE 24 04-09-2004 03:37 PM

Advertisments