Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Browser Tests ! compliance tool needed

Browser Tests ! compliance tool needed

Mel

i can see that my site looks different on some browsers. i know there are
things i should not be doing !!!

but rather than me "MANUALLY" doing the test on each browser, i was
wondering if there was a tool to do that for me ?

thanks for any pointers

Roy Schestowitz

Mel wrote:

> i can see that my site looks different on some browsers. i know there are
> things i should not be doing !!!
>
> but rather than me "MANUALLY" doing the test on each browser, i was
> wondering if there was a tool to do that for me ?

Ideally, you should be able to use validation. Have you?

In the real world, there are broken browsers like Internet Explorer. If you
don't work on the Window$ platform and try IE, you will not be able to see
what 80-90% (typically) of the visitors will see.

A tool that emulates all browsers will have to include the source of them
all. Since IE is not open-source, you might as well forget about it...

--
Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com

Hywel Jenkins

In article <cre8f6$11h3$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Mel wrote:
>
> > i can see that my site looks different on some browsers. i know there are
> > things i should not be doing !!!
> >
> > but rather than me "MANUALLY" doing the test on each browser, i was
> > wondering if there was a tool to do that for me ?

> Ideally, you should be able to use validation. Have you?

Validation won't show how a site looks on different browsers.

http://www.browsercam.com/

--
Hywel http://kibo.org.uk/
I do not eat quiche.

Roy Schestowitz

Hywel Jenkins wrote:

> In article <cre8f6$11h3$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> says...
>> Mel wrote:
>>
>> > i can see that my site looks different on some browsers. i know there
>> > are things i should not be doing !!!
>> >
>> > but rather than me "MANUALLY" doing the test on each browser, i was
>> > wondering if there was a tool to do that for me ?

>> Ideally, you should be able to use validation. Have you?

> Validation won't show how a site looks on different browsers.

That's true, I agree. However, properly designed pages _should_ (in theory)
stay consistent across platforms and browsers.

>> A tool that emulates all browsers will have to include the source of them
>> all. Since IE is not open-source, you might as well forget about it...

> http://www.browsercam.com/

Excellent. I'll take it for a spin. I usually have to walk to a nearby
Window$ cluster.

--
Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com

Hywel Jenkins

In article <crej90$14mi$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...
> >> A tool that emulates all browsers will have to include the source of them
> >> all. Since IE is not open-source, you might as well forget about it...

> > http://www.browsercam.com/

> Excellent. I'll take it for a spin. I usually have to walk to a nearby
> Window$ cluster.

I just had a go - it's very good. One of mine even shows "netscape.exe
has generated errors and will be closed" under NN4.78.

--
Hywel http://kibo.org.uk/
I do not eat quiche.

Erma1ina

Hywel Jenkins wrote:

> > A tool that emulates all browsers will have to include the source of them
> > all. Since IE is not open-source, you might as well forget about it...

> http://www.browsercam.com/
>
> --
> Hywel http://kibo.org.uk/
> I do not eat quiche.