Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > How many browsers do people test their sites against?

How many browsers do people test their sites against?

Oli Filth

Prompted by the recent discussion on testing sites for NN 4.8, I was
wondering how many different browser versions people test their sites
against. For instance, do people still make sure their sites work on IE
4? What are people's cut-off points for browser age? Do people test on
PDAs, phones, etc.? Different screen resolutions?

I ask this purely out of curiosity.

--
Oli

Els

Oli Filth wrote:

> Prompted by the recent discussion on testing sites for NN
> 4.8, I was wondering how many different browser versions
> people test their sites against. For instance, do people
> still make sure their sites work on IE 4? What are people's
> cut-off points for browser age? Do people test on PDAs,
> phones, etc.? Different screen resolutions?

I test on IE 5, 5.5, 6, Firebird, Firefox 0.8 and 1.0, Opera 6
and 7 (and 8 soon), Mozilla 1.4, NN 7.1, and even NN 4.78 if I
had time to make a simple stylesheet for it. Oh, and in Lynx to
see obvious errors and for accessibility.

I don't test for PDA's, cause I don't own one. Tested some sites
today on my cellphone, and saw it sometimes doesn't display
forms, and sometimes it does. No idea why though, not worried
about phones yet.

> I ask this purely out of curiosity.

Curiosity is good (imnsho)

--
Els
http://locusmeus.com/

Els

Oli Filth wrote:

> Prompted by the recent discussion on testing sites for NN
> 4.8, I was wondering how many different browser versions
> people test their sites against. For instance, do people
> still make sure their sites work on IE 4? What are people's
> cut-off points for browser age? Do people test on PDAs,
> phones, etc.? Different screen resolutions?

I see I forgot to answer that last question:
Yes, I check if my sites work properly in small windows and in
large windows, and in between too. Not the screen resolution as
such, just the window size. Any page I make, I check whilst
dragging the window from small to wide and vice versa

--
Els
http://locusmeus.com/

Disco Octopus

Oli Filth wrote :
> Prompted by the recent discussion on testing sites for NN 4.8, I was
> wondering how many different browser versions people test their sites
> against. For instance, do people still make sure their sites work on IE 4?
> What are people's cut-off points for browser age? Do people test on PDAs,
> phones, etc.? Different screen resolutions?
>
> I ask this purely out of curiosity.

I personally test on...

Firefox 1.0
Mozilla 1.5
Mozilla 1.6
Mozilla 1.7
Opera 7.54
Netscape 7.1
Netscape 4.79 (just for curiosity and a chance to waste some time)
IE 5.5
IE 6.0
Symbian Opera
Lynx 2.8.3

--
dont pick your nose if it is sore

SpaceGirl

Oli Filth wrote:
> Prompted by the recent discussion on testing sites for NN 4.8, I was
> wondering how many different browser versions people test their sites
> against. For instance, do people still make sure their sites work on IE
> 4? What are people's cut-off points for browser age? Do people test on
> PDAs, phones, etc.? Different screen resolutions?
>
> I ask this purely out of curiosity.

Very much depends on your audience.

The majority of our sites are band related, and tend to be flashy and
fluffy and very visual. They're tested in IE 5.5 and upwards, FireFox
and Mozilla, IE 5.2 on the Mac. Anything else is likely not to be able
to display the multimedia content at all so we ignore it (although, an
effort to "fail safe" is always made). We always make sure our sites
fully validate, but they tend to require JS and/or Flash. We dont test
at different resolutions. We design for 800x600 and upwards.

For some of our content (RSS/XML etc) we do test on portable devices
(mostly phones).

For more generic sites (simple sites) we'll test on a few other
browsers, but not much effort is put in as it is only represenative of a
tiny fraction of the visiting public.

If a site was required to work on a PDA or phone, we would design
specific content for those devices. There is no way even the best scaled
flexi content will fit on a 160 pixel display without gazzilions of
pages of scrolling or maintain any sense of design.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Disco Octopus" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Oli Filth wrote :
> > Prompted by the recent discussion on testing sites for NN 4.8, I was
> > wondering how many different browser versions people test their sites
> > against. For instance, do people still make sure their sites work on IE

4?
> > What are people's cut-off points for browser age? Do people test on

PDAs,
> > phones, etc.? Different screen resolutions?
> >
> > I ask this purely out of curiosity.

> I personally test on...
>
> Firefox 1.0
> Mozilla 1.5
> Mozilla 1.6
> Mozilla 1.7
> Opera 7.54
> Netscape 7.1
> Netscape 4.79 (just for curiosity and a chance to waste some time)
> IE 5.5
> IE 6.0
> Symbian Opera
> Lynx 2.8.3

Do you have all these browsers in the same PC?

--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/valkommen.html

Lloyd

> Prompted by the recent discussion on testing sites for NN 4.8, I was
> wondering how many different browser versions people test their sites
> against. For instance, do people still make sure their sites work on IE 4?
> What are people's cut-off points for browser age? Do people test on PDAs,
> phones, etc.? Different screen resolutions?

Somebody should make a 'super-browser' that can toggle thru all the browsers
using your page, any takers?
Lloyd

Disco Octopus

Luigi Donatello Asero wrote :
> "Disco Octopus" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Oli Filth wrote :
>>> Prompted by the recent discussion on testing sites for NN 4.8, I was
>>> wondering how many different browser versions people test their sites
>>> against. For instance, do people still make sure their sites work on IE 4?
>>> What are people's cut-off points for browser age? Do people test on PDAs,
>>> phones, etc.? Different screen resolutions?
>>>
>>> I ask this purely out of curiosity.

>> I personally test on...
>>
>> Firefox 1.0
>> Mozilla 1.5
>> Mozilla 1.6
>> Mozilla 1.7
>> Opera 7.54
>> Netscape 7.1
>> Netscape 4.79 (just for curiosity and a chance to waste some time)
>> IE 5.5
>> IE 6.0
>> Symbian Opera
>> Lynx 2.8.3

> Do you have all these browsers in the same PC?

all but the IE5.5 / 6.0

I have IE5.5 on a win2K and the IE6 on a XP pro

--
eating alone is medicinal

Els

Lloyd wrote:

>> Prompted by the recent discussion on testing sites for NN
>> 4.8, I was wondering how many different browser versions
>> people test their sites against.

> Somebody should make a 'super-browser' that can toggle thru
> all the browsers using your page, any takers?
> Lloyd

Why? I toggle between all the browsers with alt-tab already

--
Els
http://locusmeus.com/

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html, Lloyd <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> Somebody should make a 'super-browser' that can toggle thru all the browsers
> using your page, any takers?

Not quite what you mean, but I just open it in Mozilla, then right click
and open in IE and Opera. Haven't got around to adding other browsers
yet.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au