Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > IE6 CSS

IE6 CSS

Bill Musgrave

I have the following in a CSS, but it doesn't render as expected:

a:visited:hover
{
color:yellow;
}

Also, I know the order can matter so I've pasted the CSS section below.

If anyone can help I would appreciate it. Site users will have IE6, but
with differing levels of SP and patches.

Thanks
Bill

a:link
{
color: #0033cc;
font-weight: bold;
text-decoration: none;
}
a:visited
{
color: #0033cc;
font-weight: bold;
text-decoration: none;
}
a:visited:hover
{
color:yellow;
}
a:hover
{
color:gray;
}
a:active
{
color:red;
}

Bernhard Sturm

Bill Musgrave schrieb:
> I have the following in a CSS, but it doesn't render as expected:

true... this will not render proberly. you have several errors in your css:

> a:visited:hover
> {
> color:yellow;
> }

is not valid. try:

a:visited, a:hover
{
color:yellow;
}

and then the order of your rules is important:

a:link { }
a:visited { }
a:hover { }
a:active { }

HTH

bernhard
--
www.daszeichen.ch
remove nixspam to reply

Spartanicus

Bernhard Sturm <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>true... this will not render proberly. you have several errors in your css:
>
> > a:visited:hover
> > {
> > color:yellow;
> > }

>is not valid.

Except that it is, just not supported by IE and Mozilla.

--
Spartanicus

Bernhard Sturm

Spartanicus schrieb:
> Bernhard Sturm <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>true... this will not render proberly. you have several errors in your css:
>>

>>>a:visited:hover
>>>{
>>> color:yellow;
>>>}

>>is not valid.

> Except that it is, just not supported by IE and Mozilla.

true. I stand corrected... as usual

bernhard
--
www.daszeichen.ch
remove nixspam to reply

Bill Musgrave

But you still get points for trying to help! Thanks

I was excited at the possibilites when I recently learned about this, now
I'm disillusioned.

Thanks again.

"Bernhard Sturm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Spartanicus schrieb:
>> Bernhard Sturm <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>true... this will not render proberly. you have several errors in your
>>>css:

>>>is not valid.

>> Except that it is, just not supported by IE and Mozilla.

> true. I stand corrected... as usual
>

> bernhard
> --
> www.daszeichen.ch
> remove nixspam to reply

Bill Musgrave

Thanks, I knew this was too good to be true.

Maybe Microsoft will come out with a version 7 (even though they said they
wouldn't)...and it will be compliant...with CURRENT specs...

<sigh> Back to the drawing board.

"Spartanicus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) anicus.utvinternet.ie...
> Bernhard Sturm <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>true... this will not render proberly. you have several errors in your
>>css:
>>
>> > a:visited:hover
>> > {
>> > color:yellow;
>> > }

>>is not valid.

> Except that it is, just not supported by IE and Mozilla.
>
> --
> Spartanicus

Bernhard Sturm

Bill Musgrave schrieb:
> But you still get points for trying to help! Thanks

your welcome.. it's one of those momens when I realise how good NGs are:
it made me read the specs again... and yes. It's actuallay allowed to
combine pseudo-classes in CSS2.1 as long as they are not mutually exclusive.

bernhard
--
www.daszeichen.ch
remove nixspam to reply

Leif K-Brooks

Spartanicus wrote:
> Bernhard Sturm <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>>a:visited:hover
>>>{
>>> color:yellow;
>>>}

>>is not valid.

> Except that it is, just not supported by IE and Mozilla.

It seems to be supported by Mozilla.

Spartanicus

Leif K-Brooks <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>is not valid.

>> Except that it is, just not supported by IE and Mozilla.

>It seems to be supported by Mozilla.

It doesn't work in my copy of Mozilla FireFox 0.9.2, but it does work in
my copy of Mozilla 1.5.

--
Spartanicus

Phoenix

Spartanicus wrote:

>>>Except that it is, just not supported by IE and Mozilla.

>>It seems to be supported by Mozilla.

> It doesn't work in my copy of Mozilla FireFox 0.9.2, but it does work in
> my copy of Mozilla 1.5.

How about getting up to speed, and download Firefox 1.0, which has a
newer version of the Gecko engine?