Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > No alts in firefox?

No alts in firefox?

Starshine Moonbeam

Downloaded Firefox tonight and I was playing around with it. One thing I
noticed is that no alt text shows up. Is it just me, or is it FF?

--
Starshine Moonbeam
mhm31x9 Smeeter#29 WSD#30

Barbara de Zoete

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 01:51:10 -0600, Starshine Moonbeam
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Downloaded Firefox tonight and I was playing around with it. One thing I
> noticed is that no alt text shows up. Is it just me, or is it FF?

If you mean alt text to show up as a tooltip: That's one of the
(mis)interpretations of IE. FF doesn't show them, because they're not supposed
to be seen if the image is seen. If the image has a title as attribute, FF will
show the title just fine, again as it is supposed to.

--
,-- --<--@ ---- PretLetters: 'woest wyf', met vele interesses: -----------.
| weblog | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/_private/weblog.html> |

Starshine Moonbeam

In article <opsj0oizlnx5vgts@zoete_b>, Barbara de Zoete
((E-Mail Removed)) dropped a +5 bundle of words...

> On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 01:51:10 -0600, Starshine Moonbeam
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > Downloaded Firefox tonight and I was playing around with it. One thing I
> > noticed is that no alt text shows up. Is it just me, or is it FF?
> >

> If you mean alt text to show up as a tooltip: That's one of the
> (mis)interpretations of IE. FF doesn't show them, because they're not supposed
> to be seen if the image is seen. If the image has a title as attribute, FF will
> show the title just fine, again as it is supposed to.

Ahhhhhhhh. That explains it then. Thanks.

--
Starshine Moonbeam
mhm31x9 Smeeter#29 WSD#30
sTaRShInE_mOOnBeAm aT HoTmAil dOt CoM

Richard

Starshine Moonbeam wrote:

> Downloaded Firefox tonight and I was playing around with it. One thing I
> noticed is that no alt text shows up. Is it just me, or is it FF?

In firefox, if no image is present, for what ever reason, the alt text will
be displayed.
Which is what is supposed to happen.
IE puts in an image "place holder" to show that an image is supposed to be
there but missing.
IE displays the "tooltip" message if anything can be found.

You will get hooked on firefox.

Bernhard Sturm

Starshine Moonbeam schrieb:
> Downloaded Firefox tonight and I was playing around with it. One thing I
> noticed is that no alt text shows up. Is it just me, or is it FF?

it's the wrong implementation of alt in IE. IE believes alt tag means
not 'alternative' but 'tooltip' which is wrong... FF interprets it
correctly. stick with FF and your life will get brighter

bernhard
---
www.daszeichen.ch
remove nixspam to reply

Neal

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 12:05:10 +0100, Bernhard Sturm
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Starshine Moonbeam schrieb:
>> Downloaded Firefox tonight and I was playing around with it. One thing
>> I noticed is that no alt text shows up. Is it just me, or is it FF?

> it's the wrong implementation of alt in IE. IE believes alt tag means
> not 'alternative' but 'tooltip' which is wrong...

In fairness, it does both. IE does implement alt correctly, but it also
implements it in a different, and IMO inappropriate way. (If the author
wants the little popup, there is HTML to do that already.)

jake

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bernhard Sturm
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes

>Starshine Moonbeam schrieb:
>> Downloaded Firefox tonight and I was playing around with it. One
>>thing I noticed is that no alt text shows up. Is it just me, or is it
>>

>it's the wrong implementation of alt in IE. IE believes alt tag means
>not 'alternative' but 'tooltip' which is wrong... FF interprets it
>correctly. stick with FF and your life will get brighter
>

>bernhard
>---
>www.daszeichen.ch
>remove nixspam to reply

'title' and 'alt' present ....... IE shows the 'title' contents in the
tooltip

'title' only present ........... IE shows the 'title' contents in the
tooltip

'alt' only present ............. IE shows the 'alt' contents in the
tooltip

Quite a smart decision IMO.

regards.

--
Jake

SpaceGirl

jake wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bernhard Sturm
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>

>> Starshine Moonbeam schrieb:
>>
>>> Downloaded Firefox tonight and I was playing around with it. One
>>> thing I noticed is that no alt text shows up. Is it just me, or is it

>> it's the wrong implementation of alt in IE. IE believes alt tag means
>> not 'alternative' but 'tooltip' which is wrong... FF interprets it
>> correctly. stick with FF and your life will get brighter
>>

>> bernhard
>> ---
>> www.daszeichen.ch
>> remove nixspam to reply
>>

> 'title' and 'alt' present ....... IE shows the 'title' contents in the
> tooltip
>
> 'title' only present ........... IE shows the 'title' contents in the
> tooltip
>
> 'alt' only present ............. IE shows the 'alt' contents in the tooltip
>
> Quite a smart decision IMO.
>
> regards.

Not really... it's a pain. If you have a design that uses layered
images, for the site to validate you should be using meaningful alt
tags. If IE is displaying the damn things it looks really messy if you
drag your mouse slowly over the content. So you end up having to put
blank title attributes in there as well. Another code bloat just to fix
a IE 'glitch'.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

jake

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, SpaceGirl
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>jake wrote:
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bernhard Sturm
>><(E-Mail Removed)> writes

>>> it's the wrong implementation of alt in IE. IE believes alt tag
>>>means not 'alternative' but 'tooltip' which is wrong... FF
>>>interprets it correctly. stick with FF and your life will get brighter
>>>

>>> bernhard
>>> ---
>>> www.daszeichen.ch
>>> remove nixspam to reply
>>>

>> 'title' and 'alt' present ....... IE shows the 'title' contents in
>>the tooltip
>> 'title' only present ........... IE shows the 'title' contents in
>>the tooltip
>> 'alt' only present ............. IE shows the 'alt' contents in the
>>tooltip
>> Quite a smart decision IMO.
>> regards.
>>

>Not really... it's a pain. If you have a design that uses layered
>images, for the site to validate you should be using meaningful alt
>tags. If IE is displaying the damn things it looks really messy if you
>drag your mouse slowly over the content. So you end up having to put
>blank title attributes in there as well. Another code bloat just to fix
>a IE 'glitch'.

But. If you're downloading a page into IE with graphics switched off and
you want to maintain the layout (i.e. not expand the image box to
display the alternative text) you can still see the alternative text as
a tooltip. Very useful.

For every cloud there's a silver lining ......

regards.

--
Jake

Bernhard Sturm

jake schrieb:

> 'title' and 'alt' present ....... IE shows the 'title' contents in the
> tooltip
>
> 'title' only present ........... IE shows the 'title' contents in the
> tooltip
>
> 'alt' only present ............. IE shows the 'alt' contents in the tooltip
>
> Quite a smart decision IMO.

in fact it's a purely a wrong implementation: if you are a webdesigner
you want your 'alt' texts as alternative texts for UAs which do not show
any images, hence text browsers. And you use your 'title' as the title
of your image which will be visible TOGETHER with the image information
(hence accompaigning content to the images content).
For example take an image explaining how an e-commerce ordering
proceudre works. In your alt tag you would then describe this procedure
in text-form (because your audiance will not see the image, only the
alt-tag info). Further you ommit the title tag as it will not be
necessary for you image.
Now go figure how smart it is, if IE shows the 'alt' for this image...

bernhard
---
www.daszeichen.ch
remove nixspam to reply