Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Download link instead of open

Download link instead of open

Tom Gao

is there a way to force a download say if I point a url to a html file or a
pdf file instead of opening it just force it to download it ?

Thanks
Tom

WindAndWaves

"Tom Gao" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41d8c7db$0$5112$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> is there a way to force a download say if I point a url to a html file or

> pdf file instead of opening it just force it to download it ?
>
> Thanks
> Tom

Documents are always downloaded - except streaming objects - what do you
want to achieve?

Tom Gao

I want to click on a link on the page and have a box popup which say do you
want to save as...
and save the HTML file instead of opening it in the browser

Tom

"WindAndWaves" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wQ3Cd.4612$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Tom Gao" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:41d8c7db$0$5112$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> > is there a way to force a download say if I point a url to a html file

or
> > pdf file instead of opening it just force it to download it ?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Tom
> >

> Documents are always downloaded - except streaming objects - what do you
> want to achieve?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Tom Gao wrote:

[top-posting corrected]

> "WindAndWaves" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>
>> "Tom Gao" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>>
>>> is there a way to force a download say if I point a url to a
>>> html file or apdf file instead of opening it just force it to
>>> download it ?

>> Documents are always downloaded - except streaming objects - what
>> do you want to achieve?

> I want to click on a link on the page and have a box popup which
> say do you want to save as... and save the HTML file instead of
> opening it in the browser

Place a message on the page to advise your visitors to use:

1. File > Save As... choice on their browser's menu.
2. Right-click > Save As...

You cannot force anything.

--
-bts
-This space intentionally left blank.

Duende

While sitting in a puddle Beauregard T. Shagnasty scribbled in the mud:

> You cannot force anything.

Yes you can.
I forced the lid off a jar of peanut butter today.

--
D?
If it ain't broken fix it anyway.

Neal

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 15:06:54 +1100, Tom Gao <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> is there a way to force a download say if I point a url to a html file
> or a
> pdf file instead of opening it just force it to download it ?

Might be the first time this year this question has been asked! (Of
course, we neglect the 200 times last year...)

The answer is simply, no, no and, yes. No, I'm kidding. No.

Travis Newbury

Duende wrote:
> While sitting in a puddle Beauregard T. Shagnasty scribbled in the mud:
>>You cannot force anything.

> Yes you can.
> I forced the lid off a jar of peanut butter today.

Did you? Or did the peanuts finally just give in?

--
-=tn=-

Peter - nativespace hosting

Tom Gao wrote:
> is there a way to force a download say if I point a url to a html
> file or a pdf file instead of opening it just force it to download it
> ?
>
> Thanks
> Tom

You could zip the file up. The best thing to do is put a message near the
download link advising the user to right click, and 'save as'.

--
Peter
nativespace - Web Hosting and Domain Names

Leif K-Brooks

Neal wrote:
> Might be the first time this year this question has been asked! (Of
> course, we neglect the 200 times last year...)

Don't you mean 365*27 times last year?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Duende wrote:

> While sitting in a puddle Beauregard T. Shagnasty scribbled in the
> mud:
>
>> You cannot force anything.

> Yes you can. I forced the lid off a jar of peanut butter today.

Must have been a jar of Windows Peanut Butter.