Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Pop-up text box

Pop-up text box

George W

I'm new to Web page design and have a simple question.

How do I create a pop-up text box that opens on top of the current page when
clicking on a hyperlink? It needs to be 2 or 3 paragraphs in size.

I tried creating an inline frame that points to bookmarked paragraphs on
another page in my Web, but the frame remains permanently on the page where
the hyperlink is located. I don't want the pop-up text to be visible
unless the visitor clicks on hyperlinked text. Its purpose is to provide
additional details for those interested, without cluttering up the page for
others who aren't.

I'm using FrontPage 2002.

Thanks.

George

Noozer

"George W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ubnBd.4419$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> I'm new to Web page design and have a simple question.
>
> How do I create a pop-up text box that opens on top of the current page

when
> clicking on a hyperlink? It needs to be 2 or 3 paragraphs in size.

Easy... You don't.

The popup will never appear on my system because I block those annoying
things.

You have ONE page. Use it as best you can.

Richard

George W wrote:

> I'm new to Web page design and have a simple question.

> How do I create a pop-up text box that opens on top of the current page
> when clicking on a hyperlink? It needs to be 2 or 3 paragraphs in size.

> I tried creating an inline frame that points to bookmarked paragraphs on
> another page in my Web, but the frame remains permanently on the page
> where the hyperlink is located. I don't want the pop-up text to be
> visible unless the visitor clicks on hyperlinked text. Its purpose is to
> provide additional details for those interested, without cluttering up the
> page for others who aren't.

> I'm using FrontPage 2002.

> Thanks.

> George

Then what good is the link if the visitor expects to go to that page?
There are other methods to do what you want without relying on the link
activation.
A simple "onmouseover" script would fix that.
Search for "tool tip messages" and you'll get some ideas.

Richard

George W wrote:

> I'm new to Web page design and have a simple question.

> How do I create a pop-up text box that opens on top of the current page
> when clicking on a hyperlink? It needs to be 2 or 3 paragraphs in size.

> I tried creating an inline frame that points to bookmarked paragraphs on
> another page in my Web, but the frame remains permanently on the page
> where the hyperlink is located. I don't want the pop-up text to be
> visible unless the visitor clicks on hyperlinked text. Its purpose is to
> provide additional details for those interested, without cluttering up the
> page for others who aren't.

> I'm using FrontPage 2002.

> Thanks.

> George

BTW www.dynamicdrive.com has a menu you might be interested in.
When the mouse moves over a link, the menu for that link suddenly appears
with links in the menu.

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/popit.htm

Ken

<!--Enter This JavaScript before your <HEAD> You can also experiment with
the width and hight of the window etc...-->

<script LANGUAGE="JavaScript">

var win = null;
function popWin(loc) {
win =
window.open('','WIN','width=600,height=400,scrollb ars,location=no,menubar=no
,toolbar=no');
if (win != null) {
if (win.opener == null) {
win.opener = self;
}
win.location.href = loc;
}
}
</script>

<!--Create your Text page in HTML form and add your link into this code-->

onClick="popWin('yourtext.html')">ADD YOUR LINK TITLE HERE&nbsp;</a>

<!--This should open a new popup window for your text-->