Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > A must see site for table haters

A must see site for table haters

Richard

www.pcnorl.com

The desiginers of this page actually put the use of tables in a carefully
laid out way that actually has some liquidity to it.

For the information presented, the scripting is kept to minimal.
And even uses one interesting applet.

Several instances of nested tables.
I'd say this is one case where tables for presentation works out fairly
well.

<flame war>

Fernie

I've only recently taken a step beyond the most basic html fundementals but
tables have provided me with a nice way to present data and images in a
liquid fashion. Currently, I am working on a shopping cart and I use tables
for the liquid display effect. I'll post my cart for critique in about a
week.

I really don't have the time nor the capacity to learn something new at the
moment, but what alternatives would 'table haters' use to get a liquid
effect?

Best regards,

Fernie

--

ELKNews FREE Edition - Empower your News Reader! http://www.atozedsoftware.com

saz

In article <4E058D5F12BAE240Fernie@not_thisDocSignings.net> ,
Fernie@not_thisDocSignings.net says...
> I've only recently taken a step beyond the most basic html fundementals but
> tables have provided me with a nice way to present data and images in a
> liquid fashion. Currently, I am working on a shopping cart and I use tables
> for the liquid display effect. I'll post my cart for critique in about a
> week.
>
> I really don't have the time nor the capacity to learn something new at the
> moment, but what alternatives would 'table haters' use to get a liquid
> effect?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Fernie
>

> --
>
> ELKNews FREE Edition - Empower your News Reader! http://www.atozedsoftware.com

Proper use of CSS would give better results.

saz

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Anonymous@127.001 says...
> www.pcnorl.com
>
> The desiginers of this page actually put the use of tables in a carefully
> laid out way that actually has some liquidity to it.
>
> For the information presented, the scripting is kept to minimal.
> And even uses one interesting applet.
>
> Several instances of nested tables.
> I'd say this is one case where tables for presentation works out fairly
> well.
>
> <flame war>

Not in my browsers. The left column is way off in alignment. I think
CSS would have been better.

This is a common applet. I've seen it several times before on news
sites.

Fernie

> Proper use of CSS would give better results.

In my case, I now have a fairly decent handle on html. I am dynamically
writing (via cgi) html content and input forms that seem to be working just
fine.

Can you tell me how difficult it would be for an average person at my html
level to get a working knowledge of CSS? Do editors like Dreamweaver or
Websphere produce decent CSS code?

Regards,

Fernie

--

ELKNews FREE Edition - Empower your News Reader! http://www.atozedsoftware.com

Henry

saz wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Anonymous@127.001 says...

>>I'd say this is one case where tables for presentation works out fairly
>>well.
>>
>><flame war>

> Not in my browsers. The left column is way off in alignment. I think
> CSS would have been better.
>
> This is a common applet. I've seen it several times before on news
> sites.

Get newest browsers.

If your browsers do not display this page properly (IE6, FF1.0, latest
Opera) than I would not like to see your pages.

Going back to tables.

This is BAD! Looks horrible, but... works.

My very first web page made in FF was better, coding included.

BTW. Looks like done in css anyway.

Hahahahahaha...

rf

"Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote
> xxxxxxxxxxx.com
>
> The desiginers of this page actually put the use of tables in a carefully
> laid out way

Bullshit. They used dreamweaver.

--
Cheers
Richard.

Richard

Fernie wrote:

>> Proper use of CSS would give better results.

> In my case, I now have a fairly decent handle on html. I am dynamically
> writing (via cgi) html content and input forms that seem to be working
> just fine.

> Can you tell me how difficult it would be for an average person at my html
> level to get a working knowledge of CSS? Do editors like Dreamweaver or
> Websphere produce decent CSS code?

> Regards,

> Fernie

What is the difference between notepad and dreamweaver?
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Any decent editor that will understand basic html and is fairly recent, will
understand css.
Dreamweaver is bloatware and over rated.

Travis Newbury

rf wrote:
> "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote
>>The desiginers of this page actually put the use of tables in a carefully
>>laid out way

> Bullshit. They used dreamweaver.

You can't do that with Dreamweaver?

--
-=tn=-

Jeff Thies

> Can you tell me how difficult it would be for an average person at my html
> level to get a working knowledge of CSS? Do editors like Dreamweaver or
> Websphere produce decent CSS code?

Don't know, but I can say that the Dreamweaver CSS I've seen was pretty
ugly. I like to see a minimum of classnames not a maximum.

I think this is more an art and experience teaches you what is
maintainable and what is not

Jeff