Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > <B> or CSS ?

<B> or CSS ?

Travis Newbury

What is the advantage of using CSS to make a single instance on a page bold?

I only want this <b>word or words</b> bold.

vs

I only want this <span class="boldWord">word or words</span> bold.

Or any other CSS method. It seems to me that, using CSS would actually
be more work or take more bandwidth.

Is there an advantage I am missing? (other than the obvious mixing
content with presentation)

--
-=tn=-

Neal

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 18:59:24 -0500, Travis Newbury <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> What is the advantage of using CSS to make a single instance on a page
> bold?
>
> I only want this <b>word or words</b> bold.
>
> vs
>
> I only want this <span class="boldWord">word or words</span> bold.
>
> Or any other CSS method. It seems to me that, using CSS would actually
> be more work or take more bandwidth.
>
> Is there an advantage I am missing? (other than the obvious mixing
> content with presentation)

It's not just bandwidth, it's portability and meaning.

If the characters MUST be bold for understanding, and no other HTML covers
it, <b> is fine.

<i> is easier to illustrate. If the italics are mere decoration and convey
no meaning on their own, the CSS is correct. If the italics express, say,
a mathematical variable, <var> markup is appropriate. But if it's a name
of an opera, magazine or ship, where italics are a stylistic requirement,
<i> is appropriate as there is no better markup to choose.

Travis Newbury

Neal wrote:
>> What is the advantage of using CSS to make a single instance on a page
>> bold?

> It's not just bandwidth, it's portability and meaning.
> If the characters MUST be bold for understanding, and no other HTML
> covers it, <b> is fine.

Thanks!

--
-=tn=-

Leif K-Brooks

Neal wrote:
> But if it's a name of an opera, magazine or ship, where italics are a
> stylistic requirement, <i> is appropriate as there is no better
> markup to choose.

What's wrong with <cite> for the name of a magazine?

Neal

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 19:35:18 -0500, Leif K-Brooks <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Neal wrote:
>> But if it's a name of an opera, magazine or ship, where italics are a
>> stylistic requirement, <i> is appropriate as there is no better
>> markup to choose.

> What's wrong with <cite> for the name of a magazine?

If you're actually citing it, sure. But if you're mentioning the person
you've interviewed has had articles published in <i>Assholes Weekly</i>,
how else can you mark it up? You're not citing.

Duende

While sitting in a puddle Neal scribbled in the mud:

> But if you're mentioning the person
> you've interviewed has had articles published in <i>Assholes Weekly</i>,

RtS was interviewed?

--
D?
If it ain't broken fix it anyway.

Leif K-Brooks

Neal wrote:
> If you're actually citing it, sure. But if you're mentioning the person
> you've interviewed has had articles published in <i>Assholes Weekly</i>,
> how else can you mark it up? You're not citing.

Sure, but calling it a citation is less of a lie than calling it
italics-for-the-sake-of-italics, which is the only semantically-correct
use of <i>.

Neal

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 20:16:00 -0500, Leif K-Brooks <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Neal wrote:
>> If you're actually citing it, sure. But if you're mentioning the person
>> you've interviewed has had articles published in <i>Assholes
>> Weekly</i>, how else can you mark it up? You're not citing.

> Sure, but calling it a citation is less of a lie than calling it
> italics-for-the-sake-of-italics, which is the only semantically-correct
> use of <i>.

Hmm?

The New York Times editor, blah blah...

Now how do YOU propose we code this, with the understanding that this
newspaper's title should properly be italicized? And - we're not quoting
it, so no cite!

Leif K-Brooks

Neal wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 20:16:00 -0500, Leif K-Brooks
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Sure, but calling it a citation is less of a lie than calling it
>> italics-for-the-sake-of-italics, which is the only
>> semantically-correct use of <i>.

> The New York Times editor, blah blah...
>
> Now how do YOU propose we code this, with the understanding that this
> newspaper's title should properly be italicized? And - we're not quoting
> it, so no cite!

I would use <cite>. It's not perfectly correct, but surely it's more
semantically meaningful than <i>? The HTML 4.01 standard even says that
<cite> can be used as a "reference to other sources"[1], which doesn't
seem to require quoting.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/text.html#h-9.2.1

Neal

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 20:40:00 -0500, Leif K-Brooks <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> Now how do YOU propose we code this, with the understanding that this
>> newspaper's title should properly be italicized? And - we're not
>> quoting it, so no cite!

> I would use <cite>. It's not perfectly correct, but surely it's more
> semantically meaningful than <i>? The HTML 4.01 standard even says that
> <cite> can be used as a "reference to other sources"[1], which doesn't
> seem to require quoting.
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/text.html#h-9.2.1

CITE:
Contains a citation or a reference to other sources.

Loosely, I would agree, but EXTREMELY loosely, and in absence of other
facts.

Now, how about a ship name? Or the title of an opera? Am I citing the ship
or the opera? Am I referencing the ship or the opera?

YOU code it?